22 replies to this topic

#1 Jeff

Jeff

SacramentoSkullWorks

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 12:54 PM

I'm looking to display an old shotgun on the wall. I've been scouring the internet for the better part of the day and am not finding anything I really like. I'm looking for something either metal (rusted, iron, etc.), or nice wood, but not gaudy. Just the two rests is all I need, not a full wooded shelf or case. No brass, or gold. Just something simple that won't take away from the shotgun.Anyone have anything that they like or have seen?If all else fails, I'll have to have someone make me one out of barnwood, like most of the other stuff hanging on my walls.
Sacramento Skull Works ...on Facebook!
Using Dermestid beetles to produce museum quality skulls for your trophy collection.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

#2 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,173 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, PCP Airguns, Flying (home builts)

Posted 16 August 2010 - 01:25 PM

Well they sell plastic/rubber covered shaped heavy duty bent wire hangers which are really big wood screws just for that purpose in many colors. I have them for guns and bows and they are maybe $2 a piece. The threads screw into a stud in the wall so your kind of stuck with 16" or 32" separation. they are maybe 3" long plus the thread that goes into the wall. They come in some different types besides just the basic hanger. For a typical rifle/shotgun you would use 2 but there are single bow holders.However, of you want a nice solid oak bow rack with a locking case, Cabela's has theirs on sale for $99 and I just picked up a second one that holds my bow and AR in the bedroom. My son also has one.

I'm an airgunholic

#3 CoyoteHuntress

CoyoteHuntress

Royal Oaks Taxidermy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts
  • Interests:Im a full time taxidermist and I LOVE Hunting- coyotes, bobcat, bear, boar, elk, deer etc..

Posted 16 August 2010 - 02:29 PM

http://www.wroughtir...-key-hooks.html Check for curtain rod holders.. NOt the cheapy thin ones.. CHeck out the ornamental ones that tend to be over sized and would easy hold a shot gun..Like the ones that hold the fancy curtain rods that are over sized. SHould add-- that link shows decorative hooks not the curtain rod holders
Royal Oaks TaxidermyAward Winning Taxidermist...When Quality Counts! DEER CAPES WANTED

#4 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,173 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 02:33 PM

http://www.ruralking...235343631333439

I'm an airgunholic

#5 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 16 August 2010 - 02:55 PM

I think old horse shoes make nice looking gun hangers
My guns are mine, they aren't for sale, and I only give guns to people that I really like. So I guess the government is **** out of luck.

#6 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,798 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 16 August 2010 - 03:01 PM

Is this old shotgun something you will be frequently taking off the wall or just leaving it there? I have a number of guns displayed on a wall in my cabin. They are old and I don't take them down. What I did was take two 3" screws and run them into a studs, one where the trigger guard will fit over it and the other out on the barrel. I ran them in until they were just even with the outside of the guard and barrel, then put some wire around the screw, over the gun and back on the screw. The guns are very secure on the wall and the screws/wire can't hardly be seen. You can pad the screw with a bit of electrical tape if you want, same with the wire.
[url="""]http://www.CallsbyBraz.com'>http://www.CallsbyBraz.com[/url]
Handmade Calls by Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

#7 homemade

homemade

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 03:57 PM

Try dixie gun works also i think they might have something.

#8 Heywood

Heywood

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 05:40 PM

What about grabbing some sheds off eBay and making a hanger:auction 1Esp. this auction, cut the antlers off before the last tine and mount to a wood plaque.auction 2

#9 GSH

GSH

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, (deer, elk, turkey, upland bird) wanting to get into predator hunting, fishing, mules and packing, fly rc airplanes, ride bicycle, both road and mtb. I also, along with my wife , build western cowboy spurs.

Posted 16 August 2010 - 09:19 PM

If you want to use hangers made from horseshoes, I built some to hang my bridles and halters and I think I have a couple left. Let me know, yours for the postage.

#10 Jeff

Jeff

SacramentoSkullWorks

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 08:04 AM

http://www.ruralking...235343631333439

Brant, you got the simplistic idea down. No, those come up in every search, and aren't the direction I was thinking of.

http://www.wroughtir...-key-hooks.html Check for curtain rod holders.. NOt the cheapy thin ones.. CHeck out the ornamental ones that tend to be over sized and would easy hold a shot gun..Like the ones that hold the fancy curtain rods that are over sized. SHould add-- that link shows decorative hooks not the curtain rod holders

Way too cute for my taste, Rae. Haha.

Is this old shotgun something you will be frequently taking off the wall or just leaving it there? I have a number of guns displayed on a wall in my cabin. They are old and I don't take them down. What I did was take two 3" screws and run them into a studs, one where the trigger guard will fit over it and the other out on the barrel. I ran them in until they were just even with the outside of the guard and barrel, then put some wire around the screw, over the gun and back on the screw. The guns are very secure on the wall and the screws/wire can't hardly be seen. You can pad the screw with a bit of electrical tape if you want, same with the wire.

Again, simple, but maybe too simple. This gun will not be coming off the wall to shoot, but maybe to look at here and there.

What about grabbing some sheds off eBay and making a hanger:auction 1Esp. this auction, cut the antlers off before the last tine and mount to a wood plaque.auction 2

I thought about antlers, and I haven't completely ruled out the idea...

If you want to use hangers made from horseshoes, I built some to hang my bridles and halters and I think I have a couple left. Let me know, yours for the postage.

I actually thought about this too and looked up some stuff yesterday but only found regular horsehoes....and then here you come. Is the hanger portion wide enough to hold a shotgun? I'll PM you, this might work. Thanks.
Using Dermestid beetles to produce museum quality skulls for your trophy collection.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

#11 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,173 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 08:10 AM

We have the deer hoof racks as well. My brother makes them and they look great. Basically they are the hooves and the leg past the first joint bent at 90 degrees and mounted to a small wood block. Let me know if you want a picture posted.

I'm an airgunholic

#12 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,479 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 17 August 2010 - 08:13 AM

Jeff, I have made a number of horseshoe type of hangers as well as gates and tables out of horseshoes. Then there have been gate latches and door handles you name it. Most of my neighbors still have some horses, so I have access to horseshoes. You can make the hanger plenty wide for a shotgun. Maybe add a small piece of felt where the gun rests is all you would need.Google horseshoe hangers and see what can be made.Here are some cheap single hangers for $5 http://achinbackmetalworks.com/10.html

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#13 Yodel Dog

Yodel Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts
  • Interests:Guns and hunting, fishing when I can.

Posted 17 August 2010 - 08:30 AM

A couple of square nails and some leather loops. Slot the leather to fit over the nails.

#14 Jeff

Jeff

SacramentoSkullWorks

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 08:40 AM

We have the deer hoof racks as well. My brother makes them and they look great. Basically they are the hooves and the leg past the first joint bent at 90 degrees and mounted to a small wood block. Let me know if you want a picture posted.

As much as I am into taxidermy and it's various forms, I've never been into the deer leg/hoof racks. Call me crazy.

Jeff, I have made a number of horseshoe type of hangers as well as gates and tables out of horseshoes. Then there have been gate latches and door handles you name it. Most of my neighbors still have some horses, so I have access to horseshoes. You can make the hanger plenty wide for a shotgun. Maybe add a small piece of felt where the gun rests is all you would need.Google horseshoe hangers and see what can be made.Here are some cheap single hangers for $5 http://achinbackmetalworks.com/10.html

I guess when horseshoe hanger was mentioned earlier I pictured the horsehoe with something other than a horseshoe welded on to hold the shotgun. But, still I like the idea, and the price. Let me see what GSH has, and if it will work.

A couple of square nails and some leather loops. Slot the leather to fit over the nails.

I like this idea as well, and much more toward what I had in my minds' eye originally. And to note...this is my grandfathers old shotgun that he bought himself when he got out of the Navy. A good old, rusted, no name 16 gauge. It is by no means something of value other than the sentimental value. It will look good right above my rustic/vintage looking deadmount panel (the duck is held by a square nail and leather no less!)Great ideas, guys and gals. Thanks.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

#15 CoyoteHuntress

CoyoteHuntress

Royal Oaks Taxidermy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts
  • Interests:Im a full time taxidermist and I LOVE Hunting- coyotes, bobcat, bear, boar, elk, deer etc..

Posted 17 August 2010 - 10:09 AM

Its against the law to buy/sell/barter etc antlers uness chopped into small pieces for like jewlery so if you do antler things be careful
Royal Oaks TaxidermyAward Winning Taxidermist...When Quality Counts! DEER CAPES WANTED

#16 Jeff

Jeff

SacramentoSkullWorks

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 10:13 AM

Yea, I was looking into repros for this idea. Thanks.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

#17 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,173 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 10:22 AM

Its against the law to buy/sell/barter etc antlers uness chopped into small pieces for like jewlery so if you do antler things be careful

How about the hooves?

I'm an airgunholic

#18 Yodel Dog

Yodel Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts
  • Interests:Guns and hunting, fishing when I can.

Posted 17 August 2010 - 10:39 AM

Use a couple of old duck calls, bevel the exit at an angle to fit the wall. The calls could be slipped over a dowel, or just a nail through the middle.

#19 Jeff

Jeff

SacramentoSkullWorks

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 10:42 AM

Now you're just getting too creative!
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

#20 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 18 August 2010 - 04:58 PM

Use a couple of old duck calls, bevel the exit at an angle to fit the wall. The calls could be slipped over a dowel, or just a nail through the middle.

That's a good idea. Old style paper or brass shot gun shell hulls could be mounted the same way.
My guns are mine, they aren't for sale, and I only give guns to people that I really like. So I guess the government is **** out of luck.

#21 tawnoper

tawnoper

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,813 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 09:14 PM

http://www.cabelas.c...48210349a.shtmlLooks like you can get them antique finished.
ProStaff - ProStaff - Field Staff - I'm very important!

#22 GSH

GSH

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, (deer, elk, turkey, upland bird) wanting to get into predator hunting, fishing, mules and packing, fly rc airplanes, ride bicycle, both road and mtb. I also, along with my wife , build western cowboy spurs.

Posted 21 August 2010 - 12:28 PM

Hey Jeff, I build western cowboy spurs. A nice pair would look good holding up that shotgun, through it may be a little more expensive to use.

#23 Jeff

Jeff

SacramentoSkullWorks

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 08:48 AM

Just wanted to say thanks to Gary for the hangers...Attached File  1.jpg   12.23KB   15 downloadsAnd another of the whole bar for good measure...Attached File  2.jpg   18.32KB   15 downloads
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users