7 replies to this topic

#1 tonyd

tonyd

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 02:59 PM

A couple of years back I went the Ebay route and picked up a Marlin Predator bow, works fine and I got a hell of a deal on it, but I must admit, as I get more into the sport, I see how much faster the newer bows perform at the range. The bow is at the max of 70 LBS and sinks as deep into the various targets as the big buck setup at the range but mine is noticeable slower and requires a much higher arch to get down to the further targets.' My main question, is it time to change the string, its currently in good shape and will that help the speed?What other tricks can I do other then get another bow I can't afford?? Thanks

#2 Baja_Traveler

Baja_Traveler

Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 665 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 03:50 PM

Adding a new fast flight string will give a moderate improvement in speed, but not enough that you would really notice it. It's just a fact: older bows are going to be slower, but who cares? If you can hit what you are aiming at speed does not matter - you can go slow and heavy or light and fast and achieve the same results. The only thing speed gets you is a bit more breathing room if you misjudge the distance because the arrow fly's a flatter trajectory.

If you can get arrested for hunting or fishing without a license, but not for being in the country illegally,… you might live in a country founded by geniuses but run by idiots.

#3 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,734 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 15 August 2010 - 06:36 PM

Im sure its lots faster than the stuff I shoot.If its working it does not need fixing. Speed is not going to make you a better shot or hunter.
You can hop but you can't hide. Yahi Bowmen. Its not how far you can shoot but how close to the game you get when you shoot. Sights we don't need any sights. Why waist time reloading when I can be making arrows.

#4 beuller81

beuller81

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 08:27 PM

I have had my Darton Apache since the mid 90's... got it when i was in H.S. I just recently changed the string two years ago. It wasnt in bad shape but i was beginning to get back into archery and began shooting more often so i figured better safe than sorry. Its really hard to justify $800-$1200 on a new set up when the Apache is still accurate to 40 yards... probably further but i limit myself based on my confidence level. IF I could swing that kind of coin i'd LOVE a new bow though.Challenge yourself... say "i gotta kill one more deer" or "one decent buck" before you allow yourself to buy a new bow. Then you can feel glad you got some great use out of the Marlin AND you get the new bow.
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not. "Thomas Jefferson"

#5 rabiddog

rabiddog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,090 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 06:33 AM

I had a faze 1 string on my Hoyt and my bow was inconsistent with speed so i upgraded to a Winners Choice and I actually gained 15 fps in speed so a real top of the line string can make a difference, It is also quieter so there is less chance of game jumping the shot...
HISTORY, IN GENERAL,ONLY INFORMS US OF WHAT BAD GOVERNMENT IS. THOMAS JEFFERSONANYONE WHO TRADES LIBERTY FOR SECURITY DESERVES NEITHER LIBERTY OR SECURITY. BENJAMIN FRANKLIN

#6 beuller81

beuller81

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 10:33 AM

Oh man did i screw up this morning...I went to the range and tried another fella's newer bow. Now i got that darn itch to get a new one. The difference was amazing : (
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not. "Thomas Jefferson"

#7 fakawee

fakawee

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts
  • Interests:4Wheeling, Hunting, Target Shooting, Fishing, Camping, Kayaking and Glassing the countryside.

Posted 16 August 2010 - 07:32 PM

tonyd, you didn't mention what the other guys were shooting or how much their arrows weighed in comparison with what you're shooting. There are alot of factors to consider when determining how fast as bow will shoot an arrow. As far as when to change your string-how old is it, how many shots have you made with it since you bought it, was it new or used? If you decide to have the string changed, have the technician make a reference mark on the cam near the limb or axle point after you shoot it at least 20 times so you can see how much the string has stretched. Another thing is to change your string with high quality strings from makers like Winners Choice. They cost more but the payoffs are in the quality and longevity of the string. Good Luck!
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. Mark Twain

#8 tonyd

tonyd

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 08:06 AM

My string ( since I bought it used, I can only guess) is about 3-4 yrs old, Its in good shape, but I'm going to look into a new set-up for it this week. I mostly use 125 grain point and tips. I will check into the string stretch as you have suggested. Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users