42 replies to this topic

#1 Airpower

Airpower

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 07:53 AM

Hello all,I am in the market for a new hunting knife. The primary use of the knife is for field dressing deer and other small game. I have been using an old knife I had for years but now I would like to get a new one.There are some many choices out there I thought I would get some of your opinions.If you have you recently purchased a knife and really like it - let me know. Links appreciated! TIA Ray

#2 Heywood

Heywood

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 08:07 AM

I have an Outdoor Edge folder w/ a zipper. Super sharp, won't break the bank.

#3 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,804 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 13 August 2010 - 08:28 AM

Can't go wrong with a good Buck Knife!

#4 CoyoteHuntress

CoyoteHuntress

Royal Oaks Taxidermy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts
  • Interests:Im a full time taxidermist and I LOVE Hunting- coyotes, bobcat, bear, boar, elk, deer etc..

Posted 13 August 2010 - 08:55 AM

http://www.cabelas.c...75516112a.shtmlI prefer the kershaw alaska trader...

#5 4RHUNTS

4RHUNTS

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts
  • Interests:Hunting for varmints, two and four legged varieties, deer, pigs, birds, reloading, and fishing.

Posted 13 August 2010 - 09:23 AM

I have two Buck Vanguards, good knives that hold their edge.

#6 BullsEye

BullsEye

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,066 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 10:57 AM

I like the outdoor edge. THe swing blade looks really cool toohttp://www.outdoored.......&prod_ID=44

#7 Airpower

Airpower

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 11:52 AM

Thanks for the responses, I see that Wild Sports here in Sacramento (Orangevale) carries the Outdoor Edge knives and Bucks so I think I will swing over there tomorrow and take a look. I going to pas on the Budweiser option though.Ray

#8 mtn dog

mtn dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts
  • Interests:Predator hunting.
    Other interests:
    My family, writing, photography, 2nd Amendment.
    Looking forward to meeting as many of you as possible.

Posted 13 August 2010 - 12:03 PM

... I going to pas on the Budweiser option though.Ray

What's wrong with Bud? You prefer maybe a snooty micro-brewery bottle for gutting a deer? :653:

#9 Airpower

Airpower

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 12:27 PM

Attached File  pabst_blue_ribbon_21353593.jpg   65.06KB   20 downloadsI prefer Pabst Blue Ribbon I thought it only came in a can until my wife brought home some bottles. Were from? Whole Foods of all places.

What's wrong with Bud? You prefer maybe a snooty micro-brewery bottle for gutting a deer? :653:

#10 Heywood

Heywood

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 12:39 PM

Thanks for the responses, I see that Wild Sports here in Sacramento (Orangevale) carries the Outdoor Edge knives and Bucks so I think I will swing over there tomorrow and take a look. I going to pas on the Budweiser option though.Ray

I got mine at Sportsman's Warehouse in Rocklin, if you can't find what you're looking for at WS.

#11 CoyoteHuntress

CoyoteHuntress

Royal Oaks Taxidermy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts
  • Interests:Im a full time taxidermist and I LOVE Hunting- coyotes, bobcat, bear, boar, elk, deer etc..

Posted 13 August 2010 - 01:16 PM

Ohh sheeeeshhh Use a REAL "knife" Miller Genuine Draft in a bottle only please :653:

#12 JRW

JRW

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 09:49 PM

The wyoming knife is great for field dressing game. I use mine for everything from Deer to rabbits.

#13 NorCalRifleman

NorCalRifleman

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts
  • Interests:I'm a gun nut, plain and simple. Emphasis on the accurate kind.

Posted 13 August 2010 - 09:51 PM

This is what my father-in-law bought me for my birthday. Kind of his way of saying, "I don't hate you for stealing my daughter anymore, let's go kill something together." Aah, male bonding.Posted Image

#14 Braz

Braz

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,804 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 13 August 2010 - 09:53 PM

Great knife.

#15 4RHUNTS

4RHUNTS

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts
  • Interests:Hunting for varmints, two and four legged varieties, deer, pigs, birds, reloading, and fishing.

Posted 13 August 2010 - 10:36 PM

Very nice!! Another good one is the Buck Skinner model/

#16 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,321 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 08:20 AM

What I like for all around skinning and gutting is the old timer knifes Schrade .They are really sharp and handy .http://www.knivesplu...esc-schrpb.htmlthis is the knife I have I should have bought a few more .I got mine cheaper that price is a little high .

#17 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 14 August 2010 - 09:18 AM

I always carry two knives in my day pack and one on my belt. The belt or pocket knife may change from time to time but my go to hunting knives are always the same two. I have a two blade Browning that I really like. One is a blade with a gut hook the other is a bone saw. The only thing I'd change is the gut hook should be on the saw blade instead of the knife blade. Sometimes the hook gets caught when making the cut around a bucks rear vent pipe or when reaching up into the chest cavity to cut away the diaphram and sever the esophagus. For those jobs I use my Buck Woodsman. The more narrow blade of my Buck works very well for working around knee joints and on smaller game animals.Posted Image

#18 jawbreaker

jawbreaker

Big Shooter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,949 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 01:23 PM

Ohh sheeeeshhh Use a REAL "knife" Miller Genuine Draft in a bottle only please :smiley-outta-here:

Only red necks and GRANDMA'S drink Miller. :smiley-outta-here:

#19 X EAGLE 23 X

X EAGLE 23 X

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 02:25 PM

I have and use both the Buck 119 and 110 and am pleased with both.

#20 PREDATOR

PREDATOR

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 10:29 PM

knives of Alaska from cabelas camp knive and cub bear real nice pakage

#21 GoldBarron

GoldBarron

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 07:41 AM

I have another option. Why not assemble your own knife from parts you can buy from a place like Jantz Supply http://www.jantzsupply.com/cartease/ They have a good selection of different blades and handle materials to assemble your own. I have made about a half dozen knives from there catalog over the past two years and have been happy with each one I have given most of them away as gifts but they are easy to assemble and inexpensive for the parts. I built this Montana Gut hook for around $35.00. Just a thought.Attached File  1.jpg   12.73KB   19 downloads

#22 Braz

Braz

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,804 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 07:55 AM

Now that's a great suggestion. I, too, have made some knives from Jantz and like GoldBarron said, they are easy to make and it's fun!

#23 CoyoteHuntress

CoyoteHuntress

Royal Oaks Taxidermy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 10:23 AM

Only red necks and GRANDMA'S drink Miller. :bleh[1]:

OH no You did NOT just say the G word to me???? Better start ducking LOL

#24 homemade

homemade

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 04:08 PM

well now that your manning the ironing board its starting to fit you Rae :doh[1]: :lol: :rofl2: :signlol2iu:

#25 CoyoteHuntress

CoyoteHuntress

Royal Oaks Taxidermy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 04:24 PM

OMG ySeriously?? You are soooo toast, mister!!

#26 homemade

homemade

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 06:04 PM

oops um sorry someone must have gotten on my computer while i was gone how did that get there. :lol:

#27 Divernhunter

Divernhunter

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,253 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fun target shooting, reloading, collecting firearms. Also enjoy scuba diving and welding. Shoot 22RF to 50bmg.

Posted 16 August 2010 - 07:00 PM

In the 1960's I had a K-Bar then a Couple of Buck knives then I got a Gerber. Been using it ever since to gut/skin and hammer thru the pelvis bones of too many game animals to count. Several of my friends bought Gerber knives after seeing/using mine. I finally sent it back to have them resharpen it with a factory job 2 years ago. I bought a Gerber for my daughter to hunt with and have acouple with are not for use just to look at. I really like them much better than buck or most others.

#28 mattaphore

mattaphore

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 04:57 PM

My buddy's been recommending the SOG Seal Pup to me for a hunting knife.Right now, Amazon.com is selling one of the versions for $50: SOG Seal Pup M37-N.It sounds like a pretty sturdy all-round knife. Have any of you had experience with it?My pocket knife is a Benchmade Mini Barrage, and I've been wondering if I can get away with using that for hunting.I suppose you could field dress game with a broken bottle, but it would just take a while!

#29 Heywood

Heywood

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 06:32 AM

My buddy's been recommending the SOG Seal Pup M37-N to me for a hunting knife.

That would be fine as a survival knife if you're hunting 2 legged vermin in other parts of the world but it's really not cut out<pardon the pun> for a skinner

#30 imasam

imasam

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 10:58 AM

Hey, i hope this isn't too radical ... But it is a different view.... On my last hunt i used my Gerber EAB utility knife.. It cost $10.. It uses box cutter razor blades.. The knife folds up to 3"x1". It fits in the coin pocket of a regular pair of Levis.. Thats how small it is.. Real small no weight.....I take along a package of extra blades.. The sharp razor blades are easy to replace.. They cut hide bone and everything real easy.. Like a surgeons knife.... I cut thru the chest cavity of my last deer with a fresh razor blade.. Just score and scoe again it opens up.,... You can separate the legs at the knee joints easily.. But be careful this is so sharp... I have also seen rounded blades with a hook to use for initial opening of the hide.. Although i just cut it with my blade... it was so easy.. And you can throw away the blades and just replace it with new one... and the knife is clean and ready to use again.... Hope the knife manufactures don't get mad at me... Look up Gerber box knives EAB...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)