11 replies to this topic

#1 Dan

Dan

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 06:32 PM

I'm going on my first pig hunt this March on the Work Ranch in Monterey. I'll be using my Remington 700 in 30-06. The ranch has condors, so they have asked that I use Barnes bullets. I'm not that happy about it, but I don't have a say in it. I've never used Barnes before. Are they good pig bullets? I was looking at their site and the MRX bullets caught my eye. Are they any good for pig? What about the Triple-Shock? I'm the kind of guy that's wary of things like lead-free bullets, so any info. from people who have reloaded with these bullets would be great. I don't necesarily need full loading data, just general opinions about expansion performance, penetration, etc. Thanks.

#2 Soreloser

Soreloser

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts
  • Interests:Anything Archery and of course my 22-250 vs. coyotes..

Posted 12 September 2006 - 07:40 PM

I've killed a hog with a .22 mag with one shot... Point is no matter what you shooting, if you hit em' right you'll kill it, you shouldn't have any problem with any bullet from a 30-06.
Tim LewisFoxPro Prostaff

#3 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 09:00 PM

I've killed a hog with my ugly mug before!

Hey, I believe it!

#4 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,156 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 13 September 2006 - 08:31 AM

You won't have any problems killing one with a .30-06. :(

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#5 Fjold

Fjold

Traveling hitman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,779 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, hunting and fishing.

Posted 13 September 2006 - 08:45 AM

I don't have any issues with the Barnes TSX, I'm actually thinking of converting all my big/medium game rifles over to them. They are some of the most accurate hunting bullets that I can find for my 7Mag and 375 H&H. I've used them to take 2 antelope with the 7Mag and they will be going to Africa with me in 2008 for my 375.Except for when a solid bullet is needed I haven't heard of one person wih first hand experience who wasn't satisfied with the TSX bullets. Here's how my 375 shoots them:Posted Image
Frank
One rifle, one planet. Holland's 375
Posted Image

#6 Soreloser

Soreloser

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts
  • Interests:Anything Archery and of course my 22-250 vs. coyotes..

Posted 13 September 2006 - 10:22 AM

Hey, I believe it!

My Ugly Mug huh??Our witty admin at work as always...
Tim LewisFoxPro Prostaff

#7 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,156 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 11:20 AM

My Ugly Mug huh??Our witty admin at work as always...

Hey is says so right here so it must be true. :rolleyes: :angry:

I've killed a hog with my ugly mug before!

Time waits for no one--

#8 Dan

Dan

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 08:38 AM

I guess that helps!? I've heard that they can be tough animals, that's why I asked. The gun is new, so this Barnes load will be the first load that I work up for it. I hate to have to work up a load for only one trip, so I was hoping to keep the same load for hunting deer, antelope, etc. I understand that shot placement is essential, and that pigs can probably be killed with anything, but I want to make sure that if I see a trophy, and everything falls into place, that the bullets I loaded are't the weak link in the equation. Since no one has said anything bad about them, i going to assume that I'm ready to start loading.............................

#9 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,156 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 09:30 AM

Barnes bullets are great bullets and they'll work great in your .30-06. I really like the MRX's they are a fabulous bullet and work great at all ranges. I've shoot the 185 grs. in my .338 and they grouped nicely at 1000 yards. Go for it and hopefully you'll get a good load right off the bat. :lol:

Time waits for no one--

#10 Tundra

Tundra

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
  • Interests:Hunting<br />Computers<br />Sports<br />Banjo pickin

Posted 15 October 2006 - 06:56 PM

i just took a dall ram with my .375 with 300gr. triple shocks and wasn't impressed. they busted up a lot and i found copper all over in that sheep. I never had that happen ever with the regular x bullets. I talked to a guy afterwards who said he had to shoot a big grizz 5 times with the same round to get him down. I dont know if he was trying to break him down or just shooting for vitals but i smacked mine in the shoulder with less than impressive results. I cant remember the velocity, maybe 2650. i know they were pretty hot. they are damn sure accurate but im a little concerned about the breaking up.

#11 kevin_haile

kevin_haile

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 17 October 2006 - 08:20 PM

Dan - I have not tried the new MRX bullets yet, but the Triple Shocks are now my favorite bullet for use on game (surpassing the Nosler Partition that I've used for 30 years). They are accurate, expand consistently, penetration is great. I've used the 150 grain TSX on pigs from my 308 Winchester, the 225 grain for my .338-06 (full penetration end to end on a 280 pound boar) and the 130 grain out if my CZ 7.62 x 39. All one shot kills. Did not find any bullets. Massive wound damage. All this has given me tremendous confidence in them. Good luck.

#12 Dan

Dan

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 17 October 2006 - 08:26 PM

Thanks Kevin, that's what I was waiting to hear!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users