#1 critterkiller

critterkiller

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts
  • Interests:Shootin Yotes

Posted 05 August 2010 - 02:05 PM

Was thinking about trying to take some dogs with my old mossberg 12 gauge to change it up a little. I wanted some opinions on the effective range of slugs in a smooth bore barrel and a rifled barrel. My smooth barrel is 28 inch in length and my rifled barrel is 24 inches in length. I was even thinking about maybe trying to pick up a scope for it..... maybe a hawke piece...

#2 tonyd

tonyd

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 02:55 PM

I tried doing slugs in my mossberg 12 ga with a 20" smooth barrel, the effective range was only 25-30 yrds. If you are in the no lead zone, copper slugs are about 4 to 5 bucks each. Do yourself a favor go to the range and do some tests for yourself, you might find that you will be better off with 00 buck instead.TonyD

#3 DirtyDave

DirtyDave

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 08:03 AM

#4 buck with a Mod or tighter choke would be better for yotes

#4 airgunny

airgunny

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 05:28 PM

why wouldn't his slug barrel give better range?iirc slugs are good out to 100+ yards.the last time i ran slugs thru my 26" smooth bore single shoti was nailing a 5 gallon bucket around 75 yards with onlythe front bead for a sight.

#5 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,834 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 06 August 2010 - 07:43 PM

# 4 buck shot out of a tight choke. Even #2 Or BB or T shot will work out to 40 yards ( the lead stuff.) # 4buck is best.A coyote is a small target with slugs out of a smooth bore with slugs.

#6 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,355 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 08:43 PM

The federal 1ounze slugs that you get from wally world grouped great at 100 yards from my beretta shotgun.They do kick and with a pump a lot more.

#7 Karl

Karl

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 06:17 AM

When I use the 12 gauge for hunting yotes I like to start off with two rounds of buckshot followed by slugs. 18.5" barrel for close in action out to 75 yards works for me. That gives me two close in shots and a few for longer distances.100 yards is doable for yotes if you are familiar with your shotgun andyou should always pattern your shotgun just like sighting in a rifle.I prefer the Brenneke slugs when I can find them.I would stay away from a scope if you plan on using buckshot. No need. If you want a slug only setup on the rifled barrel then a Hawke will work great! Good LuckKarl

#8 critterkiller

critterkiller

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts
  • Interests:Shootin Yotes

Posted 08 August 2010 - 04:08 PM

Thanks for the info guys. I went out this morning to do a little testing of my own. With paper plate targets at 40 yards I was hitting 6 pellets with a full choke with 00buck 9pellet load. Thats kind of what I expected. But when I shot the federal slugs from wally world out of my rifled barrel I had a 2 inch grouping off of a sand bag at 70 to 75 yards. I kind of figured if I get a yote inside 100 yds I stand a good chance at nailing him. After all the reason I want to use a shotgun is for an area that is pretty thick and of course the challenge. And yes my shoulder is a little sore...... :smiley-funny-post-sign:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users