13 replies to this topic

#1 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,211 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 02:44 PM

I am using a 3 dote site pin for my compound it's a true glow at how many yards should they be set at.I pulling around 60 pounds on a browning mirage an older model mid 90's I think.

#2 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,165 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, PCP Airguns, Flying (home builts)

Posted 04 August 2010 - 03:20 PM

My pins are set at 20, 30, and 40 yds on my Bowtech but we are in heavy cover here in Missouri. Mine is rigged for bowfishing right at the moment and 50 lbs. i have been practicing from a high stand with my Leupold 1000-TBR rangefinder and the angle calculation is right on the money.

I'm an airgunholic

#3 BullsEye

BullsEye

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 03:33 PM

I use to have my first pin set to 30 yards. I now have it at 20 and then I move up in increments of 10 yards. I have friends that have their 1st pin at 40 because they are shooting laser beams out of their bows. But not many people do that.

#4 jawbreaker

jawbreaker

Big Shooter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,946 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 04:50 PM

I would say 20, 30 and 40 yards and if you are a good enough shot you can stack them for 50 yrds.

#5 fakawee

fakawee

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts
  • Interests:4Wheeling, Hunting, Target Shooting, Fishing, Camping, Kayaking and Glassing the countryside.

Posted 04 August 2010 - 07:25 PM

+1 on what Ron said. Now, if you could pull an 80lb draw weight (yikes-ouch) and fired really light arrows, then I'd say you could set your top pin at 40yds.
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. Mark Twain

#6 BullsEye

BullsEye

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 08:33 PM

Very true. My buddy shoots 300 grain arrows on an overdraw with a 70 + pound bow. Its like a lightning out of the sky when he releases an arrow.

#7 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,211 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 08:52 PM

ok thanks I am going to do 20,30,40OK I am using radial X weave still hunter 200# arrows is other brands like the Revolution Ultra Hunter 200# are they the same thing or they different?Anyone have an idea of making a homemade target.I don't really want to have bales of alfalfa on my grass lawn.Is a range finder the norm bow hunter's use to tell distance now a days? years ago I just went by eye but that was hard.Johnny

#8 Baja_Traveler

Baja_Traveler

Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 665 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 06:30 AM

Make a 3 x 3 or 4 x 4 box out of 2 x 6's, bolt it between a pair of 4 x 4's sunk into the ground. Then with a staple gun, cover both sides with chicken wire and fill the space in between with old burlap bags, or discarded clothing, or used plastic wrap they wrap pallets with ( I know one guy who bought a bale of raw cotton).... Then cover that with shade cloth. A target can be painted on the shade cloth, or paper can be pinned to it. This is a popular home made target, and will last a long time. Once every few hundred shots the chicken wire will get hit - it will not hurt the arrows, but eventually you will have to replace the target face when stuffing starts falling out - every two years or so.Find a local archery club that puts on 3D tournaments - they are not only fun, but just a few months of shooting them and you will have your distance estimation down pretty good. It's a great way to calibrate your eye balls against life size animals.

If you can get arrested for hunting or fishing without a license, but not for being in the country illegally,… you might live in a country founded by geniuses but run by idiots.

#9 jawbreaker

jawbreaker

Big Shooter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,946 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 06:57 PM

Just get an old burlap sack and stuff it tight with grocery bags and tie it off, it will be a light weight target you can take anywhere. I also used to buy cheap boogey boards at the swap meet or garage sales and use those but they don't last as long. The BLOCK target is my choice and very durable I finally need to replace mine after 5 years of shooting.

#10 fakawee

fakawee

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts
  • Interests:4Wheeling, Hunting, Target Shooting, Fishing, Camping, Kayaking and Glassing the countryside.

Posted 05 August 2010 - 07:29 PM

Johnny, you didn't mention if you are practicing with broadheads or field points. If you are using broadheads, find someone getting rid of their carpet, take it home and cut it into 2'x2' squares till you have about 12-15 pieces. Take some old 2x4 boards and make two equal frames slightly larger than the cut up carpets. Lay the carpet pieces on one frame then put the other frame on top of the carpets sandwiching them. Secure the frames with ropes, belts, zip ties or whatever you want but make sure the carpet is securely sandwiched between the frames. Now, you can hang it on a tree or prop it up using spare 2x4's like a picture frame leg and shoot away. They usually last about 50 to 75 shots but will last longer if you practice with dull broadhead blades (old ones). If you're practicing with field points and have a bunch of old cloths that are going to be trashed, gather them and put them in a box also 2'x2' or larger. Make sure to pack them tightly and also make sure they are not folded. This will stop about 100 shots before you'll have to change the box.Mark
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. Mark Twain

#11 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,211 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 09:03 PM

I do have some old carpet.I will try that un tell I get a block target.With the carpets will the arrow come out easy with out me bending the arrow. I just got back from putting up my game camera at my new spot.I saw the same hogs across the canal I wish they would swim over to my side.

#12 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,714 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 05 August 2010 - 10:44 PM

Its about time you got that thing going.Lots of good info already said. Practice practice practice.
You can hop but you can't hide. Yahi Bowmen. Its not how far you can shoot but how close to the game you get when you shoot. Sights we don't need any sights. Why waist time reloading when I can be making arrows.

#13 fakawee

fakawee

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 06:45 PM

I do have some old carpet.I will try that un tell I get a block target.With the carpets will the arrow come out easy with out me bending the arrow. I just got back from putting up my game camera at my new spot.I saw the same hogs across the canal I wish they would swim over to my side.

"Bending the arrow"? Are you still using aluminum arrows? Carbons are more durable than the old aluminum ones. If you pull the arrows straight back, you shouldn't have any problems. Also, when grabbing the arrow to pull it out of any target, grab it at the closest point to the target. Tip-if you have replaceable blades on your broadheads, use the old dull ones for practice. They won't cut the carpet as deep.I hope no one sees the flash of your game camera. Mine were stolen from a hunting area because the flash would give it away. Damn thieves! Now, I have the infra red cameras so no more flash.

#14 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,211 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 03:40 PM

I am using the carbon arrows .Last time I shot a muzzy 4 blade into a one ton bale and I had to dig it out.I hope the game cam is still there I never got around to talking to the workers of the almond ranch about it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users