• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 fakawee

fakawee

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts
  • Interests:4Wheeling, Hunting, Target Shooting, Fishing, Camping, Kayaking and Glassing the countryside.

Posted 03 August 2010 - 06:43 PM

My best friend had this dilemma happen the other day and I just want to know how many of you have had done this. He has two rifles. One chambered in 17hmr and the other in 22wmr. Both rifles are identical with the same scopes and all. I told him when he purchased them that he should at least put a different scope on one or the other but he wanted them to be twins. Here's the problem. We were out target shooting. He had both rifles on his tailgate with their ammo next to them. He grabbed one rifle and a box of ammo. Without looking at the ammo, he accidentally loaded 17hmr rounds into the magazine of the 22wmr then loaded the magazine of this rifle and loaded a round into the chamber. When he pulled the trigger, all you hear is a pop/hiss with a bunch of smoke come out of the barrel. He pulled the bolt back and ejected a spent round, chambered another and fired again. Same noise and smoke. I told him to hold on check the bullets. We were both shocked to see that 17hmr rounds were in the magazine.I know the 17hmr is a necked down 22wmr but had no idea it would chamber into a 22wmr and even get struck by the firing pin. Anyone experimented with this before?By the way, the 22wmr round will not chamber into a 17hmr but the bolt almost closes (1/16" maybe) on it and I assume would close if you pushed a little harder.

#2 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,190 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, PCP Airguns, Flying (home builts)

Posted 03 August 2010 - 06:50 PM

My buddy accidentally put a 22 LR through my Marlin 783 22 Mag. It split the case.

#3 Jason

Jason

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,183 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, camping, scuba diving, American Revolution living history, fishing, ham radio.

Posted 04 August 2010 - 07:35 AM

You were lucky. They could have tumbled down the barrel or gotten stuck part way if they tumbled. You have to be careful not to get ammo mixed up. How many poor shooters have chambered that 20 gage round into a 12 gage pump, pulled the trigger for nothing to happen, cycled the pump and put a 12 gage round in with the 20 gage round sitting right on top of it? The results can be very bad.Always, always be careful with ammo.

#4 nitis

nitis

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 09:03 PM

you rlucky it happened the way it did the other way could have been bad. I wouldnt make a practice of it but I dont think it will do any serious damage but again I wouldnt make it a regular thing.My dad accidentally fired a 270 win out of his 7mag once thank goodness nothing happened

#5 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,197 posts
  • Interests:Target shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Fishing, Camping

Posted 07 August 2010 - 07:11 AM

I would like to see that fire formed brass ;) My buddy accidentally chambered a 257 Weatherby round into his 300 Weatherby and the picture below say it all.Posted Image

#6 fakawee

fakawee

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts
  • Interests:4Wheeling, Hunting, Target Shooting, Fishing, Camping, Kayaking and Glassing the countryside.

Posted 07 August 2010 - 06:04 PM

I'll have to ask him for the brass if he still has them. Actually, the only thing I could see from them was that the neck was straitened out a little. I'll get a pic if he still has the brass.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users