4 replies to this topic

#1 BullsEye

BullsEye

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,066 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 11:04 PM

Well cabbage was on sale at the local grocery store 10 pounds for a dollar. I am glad I only bought two heads of cabbage cause I only have a bowl large enough to hold one with the brine. I pulled this recipe from again my favorite cook book Charcuterie.Heat 17 cups of water with 3/4 cup and 2 Tablespoons of Kosher salt till the salt dissolves. Let it cool back to room temp. Place thinly shredded head of cabbage in a non reactive bowl and then cover with brine. Then cover with cheese cloth. I used wax paper with holes in it (didn't have cheese cloth, thanks for the idea John) and place a plate on top so that the cabbage stays under the brine solution. I will need to wait 2 weeks before my cabbage becomes sauerkraut but will let you know how it comes out.Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#2 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,592 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 03 August 2010 - 07:44 AM

Another good one! Nothing like good homemade sauerkraut. I had a little family owned market near me growing up and they had the best homemade sauerkraut.

#3 4RHUNTS

4RHUNTS

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts
  • Interests:Hunting for varmints, two and four legged varieties, deer, pigs, birds, reloading, and fishing.

Posted 03 August 2010 - 10:00 AM

While waiting the two weeks, is it kept in the refridgerator?

#4 BullsEye

BullsEye

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,066 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 01:24 PM

I am keeping the sauerkraut in a a dark cool pantry in my kitchen. It needs to be kept between 70 and 75 degrees F so that the good bacteria (Lactobacillus) can ferment the cabbage. If it gets hotter other bacteria can thrive which is bad, if it is colder then the Lactobacillus doesn't ferment the cabbage as fast.

#5 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,592 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 03 August 2010 - 01:34 PM

My wife wants me to dig a root cellar in our back yard. She says she needs a better way to store the vegetables and things we grow to keep them longer. I was thinking of digging out the floor of one of my horse stalls and trying that approach. But I'd hate to cause the building to fall in too. I can see the headlines now. "Homeowner killed while digging basement bomb shelter." Maybe I should just try a hole in the ground and use the earth I dig out to cover a concrete roof structure. Either way I could sure use a nice dark cool place. But then I might have trouble keeping my chickens out of it when it's HOT out. :signs1111cr:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users