20 replies to this topic

#1 tony

tony

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 11:03 PM

just picked up a new mathews mission bx1. Its my first bow ever and it shoots great. so far with my first 6 shots from 20 yards 6 inch group with one dead center.il be practicing alot and i hope i can fill my tag this year. :)

#2 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,739 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 03 August 2010 - 01:10 PM

Nice now wheres the pictures of it , what arrows. Nice going. Be carful your guns might get lonely.
You can hop but you can't hide. Yahi Bowmen. Its not how far you can shoot but how close to the game you get when you shoot. Sights we don't need any sights. Why waist time reloading when I can be making arrows.

#3 jawbreaker

jawbreaker

Big Shooter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,946 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 03:46 PM

6" group at 20 yrds! You need more practice before you hunt with it. A 6" group at 20 is in the vitals of a deer but you won't kill one at 30, if you sling 10 arrows a day out of your new bow you should be good to go by September just don't shoot beyond your capabilities. I have shot deer that I haven't recovered and it happens but it isn't a feeling I want to have.

#4 fakawee

fakawee

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts
  • Interests:4Wheeling, Hunting, Target Shooting, Fishing, Camping, Kayaking and Glassing the countryside.

Posted 03 August 2010 - 06:26 PM

Congrats on the new Mathews bow but 6" groups at 20yds are not good unless you're shooting a recurve or longbow and even then, most recurve and longbow shooters I know shoot 3-4 inch groups. Definitely practice more as Jawbreaker says! Join an archery club that puts on 3D shoots. This will get you into hunting mode farely quick. You need to put 5-6 arrows (whatever your quiver holds) into a 2-3 inch group consistently at 20yds before you should attempt shooting at an animal. Ever hear a deer bellowing from a gut shot or heard one choking on it's own blood because an arrow lodged into it's neck? It's not a sound anyone wants to hear. I witnessed these animals run past my tree stand and wander off to die slow deaths after some hunter rushed his shots or was not proficient enough to be shooting at deer. Then to see this same hunter show up and ask if I'd seen a wounded deer run by-just makes me want to shoot that hunter. Practice from different positions too! Not all deer hunting is done standing up. Shoot from sitting and kneeling positions. Drawing your bow from these positions will surely test your aim. Keep practicing!
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. Mark Twain

#5 tony

tony

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 08:56 PM

ya i plan on lots of practice.i have some free lessons and il be shooting at my buddies house Wednesday after work.hes been shooting a bow for a few years now so i hope to get some good pointers.ya gonna try to group 3 inch groups at 30 or 40 yards before going out.its a great bow easy to shoot and im a quick learner.ya on hitting a deer with a bad shot and it running off to die somewhere in pain would defiantly make me feel like s@#* , and i dont wanna be that guy.if i get some good groups il take a couple of pics and post them up. thanks guys

#6 yotekiller85

yotekiller85

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts
  • Interests:Hunting and Fishing and spending time with my Family.

Posted 17 August 2010 - 12:42 PM

just picked up a new mathews mission bx1. Its my first bow ever and it shoots great. so far with my first 6 shots from 20 yards 6 inch group with one dead center.il be practicing alot and i hope i can fill my tag this year. :signs684mh:

Hey tony a 6' group at 20 yds is good don't listen to those guys. For being with your first bow. Not bad keep praticing.
I LIVE TO HUNT AND HUNT TO LIVE!!!!

#7 GSH

GSH

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, (deer, elk, turkey, upland bird) wanting to get into predator hunting, fishing, mules and packing, fly rc airplanes, ride bicycle, both road and mtb. I also, along with my wife , build western cowboy spurs.

Posted 17 August 2010 - 02:45 PM

I went on my first bow hunt, passed on a forked horn that, I had set up to ambush at about 10 yd, because when he came by he was trotting and I hadn't been shooting at any moving targets and I didn't want to gut shoot him. I probable could have made the shot but wasn't sure so away he went never knowing I was there.

#8 tony

tony

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 03:18 PM

im comfortable shooting at 50 and can make a decent shot at 60 but ya im gonna try and keep my shot at 50 or les on a non moving buck.here is a few shots at 20 yards...

Attached Files

#9 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,739 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 08:02 PM

Was you aiming at each animal or is that a group.?
You can hop but you can't hide. Yahi Bowmen. Its not how far you can shoot but how close to the game you get when you shoot. Sights we don't need any sights. Why waist time reloading when I can be making arrows.

#10 black_dog

black_dog

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 08:21 PM

Keep at it. Move out to 60 yrds. Once you can hit pretty good at 60 anything closer will be easy. I currently shoot all my groups at 74 yrds. Some days I ace it others so so, but I hit the target and anthing closer looks big. This group was shot at 74 yrds.Attached File  1.jpg   25.22KB   15 downloads

#11 Yodel Dog

Yodel Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts
  • Interests:Guns and hunting, fishing when I can.

Posted 17 August 2010 - 08:25 PM

Hey black_dog, what is your target made of? It looks really effective.

#12 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,790 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 17 August 2010 - 08:30 PM

Looks like those little carpet squares, clamped between two boards with long threaded rods and nuts on the ends to provide the clamping pressure. Maybe even newspaper.
[url="""]http://www.CallsbyBraz.com'>http://www.CallsbyBraz.com[/url]
Handmade Calls by Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

#13 tony

tony

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 10:06 PM

Was you aiming at each animal or is that a group.?

i was aiming at each animal and the to orange stickers :pirashoot:

#14 tony

tony

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 10:08 PM

Keep at it. Move out to 60 yrds. Once you can hit pretty good at 60 anything closer will be easy. I currently shoot all my groups at 74 yrds. Some days I ace it others so so, but I hit the target and anthing closer looks big. This group was shot at 74 yrds.

well im only on my third week but i hope to be that good some day soon.

#15 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,739 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 10:32 PM

Good I was scared that was a group. I would keep your shots uder 50 for now and real I would try to get as close as possible. Too many things that could go wrong with a first deer. Also those 3D targets the kill zone can be way off. Your doing good for just starting.

#16 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,234 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 11:30 AM

im comfortable shooting at 50 and can make a decent shot at 60 but ya im gonna try and keep my shot at 50 or les on a non moving buck.here is a few shots at 20 yards...

Nice shooting.I am just shooting 20 and 30 yards now myself.A good bow go's a long way.I like that home made target.Now I know how to make one thanks for the pic.

#17 black_dog

black_dog

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 01:48 PM

Hey black_dog, what is your target made of? It looks really effective.

Its 8" wide strips of carpet clamped between 2-2X8's with 2-3/8" all-thread rods and four pieces of angle that the all-thread goes through. Carpet was free at a carpet place, they throw out old stuff they get when putting in new carpet in homes. I loaded up frame and put hold down strap around carpet, then screwed tight bolts, tightened strap and loosened bolts added more carpet and repeated. Till I had as much carpet as I could fit. Came out 29X30" and after center is shot out I can take out bad carpet pieces and replace with new or take some from the outside and move it to middle. It's not water proof so have to cover in winter. Also if you over tighten bolts you can't pull arrows out. Easy to adjust and they pull out just like other targets.

#18 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,234 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 05:27 PM

Metal detectors come in handy when you lose an arrow under the grass I had to use it today and I found the arrow right away.If it wasn't for the detector I would have never found it,

#19 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,352 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 18 August 2010 - 05:38 PM

I used to get lots of arrows like that John. I went to a local range once and found so many arrows I couldn't carry them all. They are like finding beer cans on the surface. Retrieving them took longer than finding them.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#20 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,739 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 10:27 PM

Hey Shoot It can I use you and your detector I have lost arrows from tracy to santanilla :roflmao3[1]: Bet over a hundred of them..

#21 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,234 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 09:14 AM

Hey Shoot It can I use you and your detector I have lost arrows from tracy to santanilla :roflmao3[1]: Bet over a hundred of them..

We can work out a deal take me to your deer spot lolSJ I sure would love to find a spot like that those arrows are not cheap.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users