• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 mackeralboy

mackeralboy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts
  • Interests:Hunting anything above or below the water. Kayaking, Backpacking, Scuba, Surfing, anything outdoors.

Posted 02 August 2010 - 08:23 AM

I questioned myself :good: on weather to put topic under the archery category or the fishing category but I figured since I intend to use a bow this best fits.My question is has anybody here ever bowfished for carp out along the Colorado river in the area of Blythe? I'm heading out that way next week and I'd like to try my hand at it. Any suggestions on where to go or techniques would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,Mc

#2 zippy1970

zippy1970

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 11:24 AM

Not much personal experiance . as far as equipment bow with reel / line connected to arrow : ) But if you are looking to get into it good do the Big Bear Carp round up . It happened last month but if you go up there & talk with people ( alot from Az ) I'm sure they can dial you in . Andy

#3 mackeralboy

mackeralboy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts
  • Interests:Hunting anything above or below the water. Kayaking, Backpacking, Scuba, Surfing, anything outdoors.

Posted 03 August 2010 - 06:46 AM

Thanks Zippy,I've heard about that tournament but had to work this year. I also read on a posting here that Elsinore has opened up to bowfishing for carp. Some buddies and I are talking about going out to Blythe next week to do some bunny busting and I thought I might try my hand at bow fishing.

#4 Camoghost

Camoghost

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 12:20 PM

I shoot them on the Colorado River but my house is on the Parker strip.. Lot's of good shallows and BIG carp to keep you busy! This is a great time of year for them.. Best shooting time are mid morning and evening.. Good luck and have fun!

#5 mackeralboy

mackeralboy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 09:31 PM

Camoghost thanks for the advice.

#6 DirtyDave

DirtyDave

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 11:02 AM

Hey Mackeralboy, I'm in Torrance too. I have not had the chance to get out to blythe to check it out yet, But I will be there Labor day weekend for Dove and Bowfishing.I have only shot at Big Bear so far and I did the tournament in June.Let me know if you want a Carp-killin-buddy.I have also been meaning to check out some of the Jettys here in the SouthBay to see if there is any good shooting. Maybe PV?

#7 SFSMedic

SFSMedic

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 11:29 AM

Reviving an older thread. We have a house in Blythe we go to a couple times a year. We always have some good sized fish under our dock and cruising the rock wall. I was thinking of giving this a shot but the problem is I am not much of a fisherman so not sure if I could accurately ID the fish. Id be nervous of shooting fish that arent legal to bow fish. How do you overcome this issue? Also how did this work out for you Mackeralboy? Any luck? Are catfish off list? lol

#8 Baja_Traveler

Baja_Traveler

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 665 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 12:14 PM

Catfish are off the list:2.25. Bow and Arrow Fishing.Bow and arrow fishing is permitted only forthe taking of carp, goldfish, western sucker,Sacramento blackfish, hardhead, Sacramentopike minnow and lamprey, all year, except in:( a ) Designated salmon spawning areas.( b ) The Colorado River District where only carp,tilapia, goldfish and mullet may be taken.( c ) See bullfrogs (section 5.05).( d ) The East Fork Walker River betweenBridgeport Dam and the Nevada State linewhere carp only may be taken during troutseason.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users