• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 JxMAN25

JxMAN25

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fly Fishing, Air Rifles, slingshots, anything outdoors.

Posted 28 July 2010 - 12:09 PM

here is a rifle i could get for $300. it is completley stock and isnt broken in yet. Do you guys think this is a good deal? i was going for a discovery but decided i dident want to deal with refilling it all the time. this gun will be used for hunting. Let me know what you guys think. Posted Image

#2 JxMAN25

JxMAN25

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 12:10 PM

oh ya the scope and rings dont come with it. i allready have some

#3 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,192 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, PCP Airguns, Flying (home builts)

Posted 28 July 2010 - 12:48 PM

I have a Beeman R7 and they are excellent guns. I have been studying the new Benjamin Super Streaks.http://www.pyramydai...air-rifle.shtmlAnyone know anything about them? I would use a heavy pellet to get the spped just below the speed of sound. They sell them w/o scope for a little over $200. I might have to try one out.

#4 Camoghost

Camoghost

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 12:52 PM

I have a R9 Goldfinger in .20 cal and I love it!! Shoots very tight groups and packs a punch to crows and rabbits.

#5 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,397 posts
  • Interests:Bass fishing,Kayaking,Airgun hunting

Posted 28 July 2010 - 01:17 PM

I have an R9 .20 cal as well....that is a good price...new they were above $540.Mine has custom barrel & shroud..have not hunted with it yet...but groups well at 25 & 50 yards..Posted ImagePosted Image

#6 ratassassin

ratassassin

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,720 posts
  • Interests:Handloading, hunting, target shooting.

Posted 28 July 2010 - 01:34 PM

They're nice guns. I bought my R9 Goldfinger .177 used for $350 delivered. So $300 isn't a bad price. JxMan25, how old is the rifle? That looks like an old style stock with the short forearm and if so, I'm a bit surprised it's not completely broken in yet. Maybe it just didn't get shot. Camoghost and CrazyHorse, have you chronned your rifles? Curious about what speeds they'll shoot a .20 FTS. My .177 has settled down to a mellow but very accurate 777 fps. Posted Image

#7 JxMAN25

JxMAN25

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 02:30 PM

i just emaild the guy that has it for sale and asked how old it is. is there any thing bad about it if it is a older model? what is a double gold? thanks guys

#8 ratassassin

ratassassin

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,720 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 03:23 PM

No, the older models just have the shorter fore-end. It could be fine. You just want to find out about its history, see if the owner knows roughly how many pellets have been fired through it. And, if it's a really old rifle, just bear in mind you might have to change out the mainspring, piston seal and breech seal sooner than if it were a new gun. But that's not too difficult as parts are readily available from Maccari or even Beeman. A "double gold" is a newer version of the R9 that has a muzzlebrake, no iron sites, a gold annodized Rekord trigger and comes as a package with a scope and rings. The scope they used with it used to be a Bushnell Banner but I don't know what they use now; I think it's now a Beeman brand scope probably made in China. Before they called this version the "double gold," it was called the "Goldfinger." But they have the same powerplant and barrel as the regular R9. It's just that the regular R9 comes with iron sights and a silver Rekord trigger. (The Rekord trigger, by the way, is the best air rifle trigger made in my humble opinion. It's superb.)The one you're looking at looks to be a standard older version R9 that might have originally come with iron sights. You might also ask the owner if it came with the muzzlebrake originally or if it was added later. You might also ask the current owner if he has chronned the gun and, if so, how fast it's shooting and find out the name of the pellet. That will give you some indication of the health of the powerplant. And also ask how accurate it is. Maybe he's got some targets showing groups at 25 yards. Could be a decent rifle.

#9 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,687 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 28 July 2010 - 03:28 PM

Is the scope you have to put on the gun made for a springer? If the scope isn't rated for a springer the gun can destroy the scope.

#10 JxMAN25

JxMAN25

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 03:36 PM

yes the scope i have is made for a springer, with a one peice mount. the owner has a scope mounted on it now and it is a bushnell banner. but he said he would take it off and ship it for $300. he also has a new R9 with the current stock for $400 with a mac tune. but i could always change the stock that is on there now right? Also can you tell from the picture what trigger is on there, its gold by the way if you cant tell. and the muzzel brake was on there when he got it. he said its only a few years old. i will ask him for the muzzel velocity and a pic of some targets. do you guys think it would be better if i go for the $400 rifle in stead? thanks

#11 airgunny

airgunny

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 05:03 PM

i'd buy it. an r-9 in .20 is my next springer.

#12 THE KNOT

THE KNOT

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 03:26 AM

My .20cal R7 is amazing i say pounce like snoopy on it i have a mac1 tuned .22cal disco fun gun but go for the R9

#13 JxMAN25

JxMAN25

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 07:23 AM

thanks guys. does anyone have any pics of targets with grouping out to 50 yds from a R9 i could see. im just interested to see what kind of results you guys are getting?

#14 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,687 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 30 July 2010 - 07:45 AM

Targets depend on the shooter mostly, especially when you are talking 50 yards. The guns shoot better than the people shooting them.

#15 Heywood

Heywood

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 797 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 08:11 AM

Targets depend on the shooter mostly, especially when you are talking 50 yards. The guns shoot better than the people shooting them.

Ain't that the truth! Springers take some learning, which I obviously haven't got down yet. Missed my prey at 25 yards the other day :1087: off a sandbag no less :lol: :lol: I promptly went inside and called Tim at Mac1 and discussed a Marauder and whether he'd take my R9 GF in trade. He does do consignments. I think it's going up for sale soon... My favorite is still my Benji 392.

#16 Camoghost

Camoghost

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 09:20 AM

Ratassassin, I have not Chrono'd mine.. Sorry. It's a great gun.. My father in law bought one after shooting mine.. He loves his as well!

#17 ratassassin

ratassassin

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,720 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 03:51 PM

Heywood, sorry you missed that shot. But there are good days and there are bad days. I shot 2 ground squirrels at a lasered 50 yards today with my R9 .177 and scope on 12x, shooting sitting down on a railroad tie with my elbows on my knees. My R9's very accurate and not that hold sensitive. But it has lost power as it has broken in, so maybe the 12 lb/ft guns like mine are less hold sensitive.Then later I had a quick shot offhand standing at a 20 yard ground squirrel and missed. :1087: Hit the rock right at its feet. Who knows. Buck fever maybe, or more likely I wasn't set up well and rushed the shot. But it needed to be quick or I knew the critter was going to bolt for cover. Anyhow, my point is you'd think if I could hit two at 50 I should be able to make an easy shot at 20. I'm still kicking myself for missing that one. Oh well, had a good hunt anyhow. My advice is don't sell your R9; I think you'll regret it in the long run. But get a Marauder too! :lol:

#18 Heywood

Heywood

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 797 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 07:14 PM

Yeah I got to thinking about the shot and it was a steep upward angle into a small area and the pellet went high. I'm sure it was my fault, just irritating to miss at such close range. Good news is that I scared the bejeezus out of my winged pest and they haven't been back since. :good:

#19 THE KNOT

THE KNOT

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 11:03 PM

It's funny about shooting air guns and hitting a spot consistant . Here's what i learned and i shoot all 3 main power plants i'am knot winning a thing at no FT and i only shoot varmints so let it ride all my triggers are tuned and i shoot good groups with all my guns at there respected range . Thousands of english sparrows have succumb to my good luck shooting and lack of care if i wound a varmint i kill 95% clean this way JMO ,but on paper or game i hold my springer , my gas ram and my pcp the same it's hitting the 10 or i'am knot squezzing love what your holding and in time it will hit what your aimming at . A R9 just makes it easier so they say and i belive them .

#20 ratassassin

ratassassin

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,720 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 06:58 AM

Yeah, Heywood, steep upward angled shots can be tricky because of the change in trajectory. I seem to remember reading it can require less of a holdover because there's less effect of gravity on the pellet when shooting up at a steep angle. So if you held over like normal, it would be easy to shoot over your quarry. Read up on this a bit. I could be all screwed up with the theory. But I remember my trajectory changed when shooting up into trees.

#21 acousticmood

acousticmood

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 10:13 AM

That's correct. Imagine a triangle between you and the target. The long leg of the triangle is the line of site between you and the target - you ignore that distance when calculating your hold. You estimate the length of the second longest leg of the triangle (the horizontal leg) to calculate drop. It really doesn't come into play much until you are at a really steep angle or at a long distance or both.See for yourself - look at triangles of different lengths and angles. Compare the length of the longest leg (hypotenuse) to the length of the horizontal leg and you will see that they are not that much different for a whole range of angles and lengths.

#22 RX-2KILLER

RX-2KILLER

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Interests:Fly fishing, canoes, Air gun hunter, hiking.

Posted 21 September 2010 - 08:28 AM

I would buy in in a flash if I had money!!! wish I never sold mine. .20 cal is a great caliber... Buy it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#23 ibramson

ibramson

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 07:16 AM

I have had an R9 purchased from Pyramyd Air for about a year now. My property is infested by chipmunks and they have done lots of damage. Nothing seems to kill them, so I do. :closedeyes: I do not consider myself to be a great shot, but with this R9 which came with a Busnhell Banner 4-12 x 40 scope, I am death incarnate. It is not very good if the distance to the target is less than 10 yards (scope's parallax adjustment lowest setting) and the rifle does not come with iron sights. But from 10 yards on up, I usually never miss. I got the .20 caliber to get some additional foot pounds of force at impact and you can really hear the THWOMP when you hit your target. If they do not die instantly, they do in about 10 seconds.I can group Beeman Kodiak double gold pellets from about 20 yards within an inch circle. This does not make me a marksman, but is plenty fine for hunting small game. If they stand still for 3 seconds and I get the cross hairs on them, they are history.I have neighbors and the gun is not loud. They do not know that I am destroying the little devils. I would recommend this gun with no reservations. I may buy the .22 caliber variant some day to take on slightly bigger varmints.

#24 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,192 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, PCP Airguns, Flying (home builts)

Posted 10 June 2011 - 07:21 AM

Simon, Theodore, Alvinnnnnnnnnnnnn. Chipmunks may be the most destructive critter around my house.

#25 CBR400RR

CBR400RR

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycle racing, airguns, my family, hunting.

Posted 10 June 2011 - 08:31 AM

Springers are very fun to shoot and I have goten kills out to a lasered 66 yards with my .177 TX200 MKIII so far.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users