• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Wheels

Wheels

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts
  • Interests:My Lord and Savoir, Wife and Kids, Fishing, Camping, <br />Desert rat, Hunting just need to do it :)

Posted 10 September 2006 - 04:25 PM

I am looking for a gun safe. I want it only for kid safety. I have mine locked up now but not in a safe and want to have them in a safer place. Mine aren't even stored at my house. I no people might say well you need to think about fires and all. BUt what really only matters to me is the safety factor.So something that isn't to expensive I would think shoudl be able to do the job. What do you all think. It is for about 10 rifles/ shotguns and a couple of pistols.I would even maybe look at a used one. Thanks

#2 Bozsik

Bozsik

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,518 posts
  • Interests:Having fun with my Wife and Kids, Hunting, Camping, Wildlife Photography, Woodworking, and Illustration.

Posted 10 September 2006 - 04:49 PM

I have mine for the same application. I got it used from a friend who was getting a bigger and heavier unit. Mine originally came from Cabelas, so that might be a plce to look. I paid $100 bucks for mine. Suppose to hold ten, but I squeaked a couple more. The other half has ammo and extra scopes, etc.You might want to search Craigslist.com. Sometimes you can come across something. It isn't as big as Ebay, but you can shop by local areas.db

#3 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,590 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 10 September 2006 - 05:51 PM

I've never been able to trade up I just have to buy more of them. But I bought one for my father in law from WalMart that will hold about that many guns and it was around a $100. They don't need to be fire proof as they still get cooked in a fire safe one anyway and those are so thick they have to be huge. But check WalMart and Costco and Sam's Club for any deals. Other wise the shipping will kill you.

#4 Bozsik

Bozsik

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,518 posts
  • Interests:Having fun with my Wife and Kids, Hunting, Camping, Wildlife Photography, Woodworking, and Illustration.

Posted 10 September 2006 - 06:13 PM

As I recall, Shooter is right. There was one very similar to the one I got being sold at WalMart last hunting season. This is in the Sacramento region of the state.dbHere is the 10 gun safe from WalMart - http://www.walmart.c...duct_id=4564314This is a similar model to the one I got, but mine is 10 gun.http://cabelas.com/c...i...e&noImage=0

#5 glockster

glockster

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Interests:Shootin' Blastin' Plinkin' &amp; A Little Fishin'

Posted 10 September 2006 - 06:14 PM

I got a sentry from LOWES for 399 new, rated for 14 long gun i think

#6 Mayhem

Mayhem

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting, Fishing, wwII aviation. Flight sims, Computer games.

Posted 11 September 2006 - 09:57 AM

Liberty Centurion 17 CuFt Vault 7 11 or 18 guns - depending on how you organise your shelves. $599 with delivery at costco.http://www.costco.co...?...browse=&s=1

#7 Rick

Rick

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 10:05 PM

You might also look at adds in store furnishings. I got a double door commercial Diebold safe that has made a heck of a good gun safe for me. I paid $250 dollars for it several years ago and it weighs in excess of 1500 lbs and is fire lined. It was used for filing documents and money storage.Also, I use to have a Knack tool box that stored several rifles in the horizontal position in my garage. I used old blankets lightly sprayed with WD40 that kept the guns from banging together and added padding. I used a couple of flush mounted .375" Hilti anchors embedded in my garage floor to anchor the Knack box to the floor. The job boxes are often sold very reasonable in the construction tool want ads. It may not be very cosmetic or aesthetic in application but they often offer a much higher degree of security for the money compared to "gun safes"'[indent=1] Happy Hunting,rick

#8 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 10:23 PM

Liberty Centurion 17 CuFt Vault 7 11 or 18 guns - depending on how you organise your shelves. $599 with delivery at costco.http://www.costco.co...?...browse=&s=1

I see it's on sale .... $200 off!

#9 Mayhem

Mayhem

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting, Fishing, wwII aviation. Flight sims, Computer games.

Posted 14 September 2006 - 03:15 AM

I got mine back in March .... it's always on sale 8)

#10 lilwes278

lilwes278

SATISFACTORY!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,652 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting, fishing, four wheeling, riding ATV's, camping, and the various ECV activities...

Posted 16 September 2006 - 07:12 PM

I got a sentry from LOWES for 399 new, rated for 14 long gun i think

I've got the same thing, paid about the same price too. I've outgrown it though so I'm considering upgrading to a larger safe...

#11 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,590 posts

Posted 16 September 2006 - 07:48 PM

I've outgrown it though so I'm considering upgrading to a larger safe...

You mean a second safe don't you? :D You can never have too many. :D :lol:

#12 lilwes278

lilwes278

SATISFACTORY!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,652 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting, fishing, four wheeling, riding ATV's, camping, and the various ECV activities...

Posted 16 September 2006 - 08:03 PM

You mean a second safe don't you? :lol: You can never have too many. :D :D

No, I want to upgrade to a huge safe. This one has served me very well, and it's still like new. But I don't want 3 or 4 safes stashed all over the house (remembering different combinations might be a nightmare too), and I don't want to keep upgrading (keep moving up in small steps). I'd rather shell out the $$$ and have a monster safe that I can fit whatever I want in there, even if I go buy a dozen more rifles. Then if I outgrow that one, I'll consider adding a second safe. Although if I was smart, I'd hold off on buying a massive safe until after the wife and I move. Don't really want to have to figure out how to move a 1500 pound safe that's like 6 feet tall, 4 feet wide, and 2 feet deep or so... :D

#13 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,590 posts

Posted 16 September 2006 - 08:14 PM

Well, I've got five safes and one has two 3 foot wide doors. So like I said you can never have too many safes. But to each his own. :D I'd rather have a few safes as it's harder to break into all of them at once. Plus I keep the guns I shoot the most often in one and some are storage safes. Years of experience and lots of practice talking here. :D :lol:

#14 lilwes278

lilwes278

SATISFACTORY!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,652 posts

Posted 16 September 2006 - 08:20 PM

Well, I've got five safes and one has two 3 foot wide doors. So like I said you can never have too many safes. But to each his own. :D I'd rather have a few safes as it's harder to break into all of them at once. Plus I keep the guns I shoot the most often in one and some are storage safes. Years of experience and lots of practice talking here. :D :lol:

So then could I interest you in a nice, well cared for, 14 gun Sentry safe??? :D

#15 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,590 posts

Posted 16 September 2006 - 08:23 PM

Sell it to Wheels. He was the guy that started the thread and wanted the safe. Kill two birds with one stone. Maybe he could buy your trailer to haul it home in too. :lol: :D

#16 lilwes278

lilwes278

SATISFACTORY!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,652 posts

Posted 16 September 2006 - 08:28 PM

I was joking about selling it right now, but I'll tell you what, anybody buys my trailer for $4500, I'll throw in the gun safe for free... :D

#17 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,590 posts

Posted 16 September 2006 - 08:31 PM

You better go add that to your classified ad it might sweeten the pot. Trailer for sale with gun safe. Every hunter needs one. :D

#18 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 16 September 2006 - 10:52 PM

Gun safes for your RV. What a great idea!!

#19 natural

natural

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • Interests:Predator hunting of course !!!

Posted 17 September 2006 - 07:35 AM

You can go to SamsClub.com. You have to be a member, but last time I checked they had a fair amount of choices and at pretty good prices. Im not a big fan of sams club ( I used to work there ) But I just thought I'd throw that out there. Good luck...-Andy-

#20 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 17 September 2006 - 03:01 PM

This belongs to my redneck brother... Not sure how big the thing is but it weighed 800 pounds.Attached File  aug__crp_pics_044.jpg   31.16KB   38 downloads Attached File  aug__crp_pics_047.jpg   29.7KB   38 downloads Attached File  aug__crp_pics_048.jpg   35.87KB   42 downloads

#21 Stan

Stan

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 846 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 12:24 AM

If any want help with a safe send me an private E-Mail as I'm a Locksmith BTW 1,500 pounds is the light one! The one I want is 72 in tall 35 in wide 29 1/2 deepWeight is 3,455 model RF6528 http://amsecsafe.com/Stan

#22 .243Win

.243Win

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 21 September 2006 - 10:04 AM

spend what you can afford on a gun safeanyone can build a safe body, Sentry, etcwhat you pay for is the make-up and design of the lock and locking bolt mechanism inside the doorthe more complicated, the betterthose of you with manual combination dial locks, take a piece of tape and cover the change key hole in the back of the lock.......any key operated safe can be easily defeated.....most companies surround the dial lock with hardplate, makes drilling take longer.....most safes have relockers as well....beating the dial/lock in with a sledgehammer doesn't workthe pros today drill thru the top or sides, no hardplate there....and they use a fiber optic camera to peek into the combo lock, dial the combo and watch the wheels as they dial....most pros open safes in under...well, fast !electronic push button locks are a little harder, as they can mount them anywhere inside the door and the keypad is not an indicator of where the lock is mounted, which is true with a manual dial lock....just some things to think about

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users