15 replies to this topic

#1 Haywood

Haywood

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 04:55 PM

My 16 year old daughter is on a visit from Texas and we were bored so I got some co-ordinates from a geocaching site. To my surprise she actually thought it was fun (at least thats what she said), we just hit a couple local ones and found all of them. She seemed to like it and we may be planning to hit some of the more difficult ones out around the mountains or something. Just thought it was cool to have a moment with my kid where her nose isn't buried in her phone.
Ne Desit Virtus

#2 CHIN SQUIRREL

CHIN SQUIRREL

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Interests:Coyote hunting, trout fishing, geocaching, and exploring.

Posted 24 July 2010 - 06:50 PM

That Geocaching is a pretty fun activity. There's quite a bit of them down here where I live. I've even found some in the Eastern Sierra Nevada mountain range. I prefer the ones out in the sticks, as they tend to be more interesting to find and quite a bit bigger containers with more room for more swag. A lot of the ones in the city tend to be tiny caches with room for a log only. I like to trade the swag and the trackable items. I've seen some cool hides. One of them looked like it was a valve for a lawn sprinkler and it was hiding in plain sight. That one was way cool. Hope you have fun with it.
I'd rather be fishing with my son.

#3 hunting guy

hunting guy

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 09:08 AM

I find geocaching to be a very cool activity. I get to escape to the outdoors, and never knowing what the swag is going to be is fun. Almost always its small trinkets, like a whistle, a piece of paper with a message, but sometimes its more interesting. I dont do it to get valuable things, I do it to have a good time and collect a trinket. I always replace the thing i took with something more valuable. I sometimes leave swiss army knives or compasses. Its a fun acticvity.
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. Ralph Waldo Emerson

#4 butthead

butthead

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 04:33 PM

Found it on my new GPS and took my son out for a hunt. We had a great time and he said he really enjoyed it. Might be time for another hunt.

#5 MoBait

MoBait

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 02:05 PM

I found an ammo box in an area I hunt and found some CDs in it along with a log. I had no clue what the hell was going until I read this thread. Now I know what geocaching is.

#6 rude robert

rude robert

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 04:00 AM

It would be nice to do some geocashing, but they want you to pay money. I know, they have free one too but, they are mostly outdated and never updated. I tried about 15 last year in my area but none of them panned out. Most of the good ones are locked to those who pay. I'd rather buy supplies for hunting or reloading stuff then pay for membership to it just my opinion.
Freedom isn't free, It's paid for in blood! How wonderful, how marvelous is my Saviors love is for Me. He said that it's finished, the debt has been paid for in full.

#7 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,193 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 05 December 2010 - 09:07 AM

Yeah, I noticed the same thing Robert.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#8 Haywood

Haywood

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 04:42 PM

Before my daughter left to go back to Texas we hit some on our way to the coast and a few at the beach. Some had good stuff and were in decent shape, but there were a few that we couldn't find (not from a lack of trying) so my guess is they were no longer there. As for becoming a paying member Groucho Marx said it best " I wouldn't join a club that would have me as a member" lol.
Ne Desit Virtus

#9 solocam3

solocam3

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Bow and Rifle, Varminting,Sailing, Fishing, Boating, Quading, Recycling, Composting, Camping, Family stuff.

Posted 11 December 2010 - 04:01 PM

www.geocaching.com is a free site. I have never had problems with it in my 10 years of geocaching. I think if you pay for this site then it allows you to download direct to your Garmin GPS unit. When ever we go somwe where, I will search by the google map function and find out what is in the area. It is cool.-20'C here in Edmonton right now. Daylight at 830 in the mortning and it is dark right now 1700 MST.

#10 CHIN SQUIRREL

CHIN SQUIRREL

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Interests:Coyote hunting, trout fishing, geocaching, and exploring.

Posted 11 December 2010 - 09:44 PM

I'm a Premium member on the Geocaching site and I must say that the benefits are definitely worth the price. I would get the annual membership as it saves you quite a bit of dough in the long run. I'm having a lot of fun with it lately.
I'd rather be fishing with my son.

#11 Jeff

Jeff

SacramentoSkullWorks

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 06:52 AM

Resurrecting a dead one...My wife and I took my 4 year old son out for his first "treasure hunt." He carried the GPS and followed the arrow with us in tow. Unfortunately, we opted for something close to home in a park and found nothing but more mosquitoes than I thought existed. We then went to a second location and again, the cache eluded us. He was pretty disappointed, but we're going again this weekend and won't stop until it's found. Geocaching seems like a great activity, and I can't wait to get further into it.
Sacramento Skull Works ...on Facebook!
Using Dermestid beetles to produce museum quality skulls for your trophy collection.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

#12 Haywood

Haywood

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 11:53 AM

Take a really good look around, I've found one that was a .45 casing with a screw off bullet (kinda small), one was a small box with a magnetic base and it was on the backside of a guardrail.
Ne Desit Virtus

#13 edgreeson65

edgreeson65

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 01:36 PM

I have been doing geocaching for a few months now, I bring my 6 yr old son out with me most of the time. It gives my son somthing to do with me insted of tv/video games, he likes it. I cheated to get him involved, I went to a cache about 1 hour before I was going caching with him, planted a couple of dollars in the cach-now he wants to go everytime I go out.

#14 solocam3

solocam3

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Bow and Rifle, Varminting,Sailing, Fishing, Boating, Quading, Recycling, Composting, Camping, Family stuff.

Posted 04 May 2011 - 02:31 AM

We are flying out to Vancouver Island on Thursday to do some sailing and I have 5 Geocaches that I will be trying to find in our 10 days on the sailboat. It makes it interesting and gets you looking around.

#15 Baja_Traveler

Baja_Traveler

Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 06:18 AM

While Geocaching I found the coolest little park on the Beach in Tofino on Vancouver Island. Never would have known it was there otherwise. Geocaching can and does take you to places you otherwise would never have seen.

If you can get arrested for hunting or fishing without a license, but not for being in the country illegally,… you might live in a country founded by geniuses but run by idiots.

#16 BrentB

BrentB

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • Interests:Bear<br />Elk<br />Turkey<br />Coyote<br />Pheasant<br />Quail<br />Moose<br />Deer<br /><br />Aside from hunting...<br /><br />Paragliding<br />Motorcycles<br />Video Editing<br />Camera Work<br />Photography<br />Car Audio Systems<br />Trucks<br /><br /><br />

Posted 09 May 2011 - 10:38 AM

Ive never heard of people doing this....sounds like a fun activity on the weekends!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users