17 replies to this topic

#1 helmet600

helmet600

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 04:45 PM

i have a H&R single shot pardner shotgun with a fixed modified choke on it and i was wondering??? does any body know if its good enough for coyote hunting??????

#2 OrneryOlMofo357

OrneryOlMofo357

Tikka Shooter, and a bad shot at that.

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,932 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 04:49 PM

If you are a decent shot, and call them in close, say 20-50 yds.. Id say use it. Test your pattern and see what your yardage looks like. Good Luck.
“Fathom the hypocrisy of a government that require every citizen to prove they are insured... but not everyone must prove they are a citizen.”

#3 donkey12

donkey12

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 06:10 PM

You will be pissed if a double comes in!!!
Don't be stupid

#4 jawbreaker

jawbreaker

Big Shooter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,946 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 06:14 PM

What he said. You can pick up a pump gun for under 300 bucks.

#5 dabob

dabob

Bob Morris Foxpro Field Staff

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts
  • Interests:Shooting Sporting Clays, Trap and Skeet, Hunting and Fishing

Posted 24 July 2010 - 06:32 PM

Coyotes are very hard to knock down with one shot from a shotgun unless the shot is perfect, no matter what loads you use. I wouldn't recommend using a single shot shotgun on coyotes. Get a 12 ga 3" pump or semi-auto for coyotes.
Posted ImageTen Percent FirearmsServing California with all of their firearms needs - or contact us by email.

#6 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,528 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 24 July 2010 - 10:13 PM

Or, if money's tight, you could just simply learn to be proficient with the one you have (Which you should do anyway) so that a second shot becomes second nature either for coyote or the soon to open bird season coming up.

#7 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 25 July 2010 - 10:16 AM

It'll work. You'll just have to call 'em in a little closer, that's all. Like the others said, pattern your gun and find it's effective range before you go hunting with it. If you do end up getting a new gun later on down the road get a model that will fire the 3.5 inch shell. You don't really need that much power but if you go to the store to buy ammo and their out of 3 inch shells you still have the option of using the longer ones.
My guns are mine, they aren't for sale, and I only give guns to people that I really like. So I guess the government is **** out of luck.

#8 helmet600

helmet600

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 06:13 PM

yeah i pattern my H&R with 3 inch dead coyote hevishot, it works out to 50 yrds with respectable groupings.. i think that i would like to stick to my single shotty cuz i also carry my rifle wirh me, and the H&R doesnt weigh much.

#9 stephen722

stephen722

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 671 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 07:38 PM

try shooting it sitting down once :yahoo: have fun stephen

#10 DirtyDave

DirtyDave

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 09:00 PM

Yeah, Practice shooting and reloading while sitting down. Keep the 2nd (and 3rd) shell in between your knuckles on your forward hand, Or one of those side mount shell holders.Or you can get a Mossberg 500 from Big5 on sale for $279, Then you'll have 6 shots in there to throw at 'em
Hic Ego Statio

#11 helmet600

helmet600

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 12:25 PM

yeah ill start practicing shooting while sitting down and reloading too, good advice thx. i have a mossberg 500A security 8 shot shotgun, but i like the H&R becuase its light. and i can carry my rifle together with me and not get too tired.

#12 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,528 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 06:30 PM

When I used to use my H&R single shot .243 on rabbits I would take those shell holders designed to go on the butt of your stock and wear it on my left forearm, bullets facing on the inside of you. The taper makes for a natural fit, and they are right there when you need them. Darn near as fast as a bolt gun when you get used to it. Try it, I'm pretty positive you'll like it.

#13 helmet600

helmet600

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 08:05 PM

cool i already had one but never thought i could use it that way.. thx for the tip

#14 1shot_1kill

1shot_1kill

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 10:25 PM

Just curious do you have to have a plug in when hunting coyote or is it only used for birds????????

#15 stephen722

stephen722

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 671 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 11:23 PM

we got one at work, sit down and lean up to a tree, shoot it once, it will hurt so bad you will never try it again! :roflmao3[1]: light 12 guage, + 3' = serious recoil :signs1180lq: have fun stephen :signs1242cn:

#16 helmet600

helmet600

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 11:32 PM

the H&R sure kicks like a mule!! lol i broke it in the first time shooting with 3inch magnum slugs hahaha :signs1180lq: so now i have a recoil pad on it and also use a shoulder pad when i shoot it lol :roflmao3[1]: you can say i get a kick out of it lol lol get it!! its a joke!!!!!

#17 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,528 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 06:07 PM

cool i already had one but never thought i could use it that way.. thx for the tip

Any time. Every word has more than one meaning, and every tool has more than one use. They tell me at work I have an unusual way of thinking outside the box. I think it's their polite way of saying I'm a little nuts. I can tell you this though, when you come walking down a road with a rifle slung and an forearm that has shiny brass and red tips (V-max) sticking out of a pouch, dirt bikes and other vehicles do NOT stick around long! :good:

#18 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 29 July 2010 - 07:30 PM

the H&R sure kicks like a mule!! lol i broke it in the first time shooting with 3inch magnum slugs hahaha :rofl2: so now i have a recoil pad on it and also use a shoulder pad when i shoot it lol :) you can say i get a kick out of it lol lol get it!! its a joke!!!!!

My lil single shot 10 ga. is seriously obnoxious to shoot from a sitting position. :) Posted Image
My guns are mine, they aren't for sale, and I only give guns to people that I really like. So I guess the government is **** out of luck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users