#1 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,397 posts
  • Interests:Bass fishing,Kayaking,Airgun hunting

Posted 22 July 2010 - 12:40 PM

This morning I took my Walther Dominator .22 (HPA) and my new MAC 1 LD .22 cal pistol. My plan was to take some squirrels with the rifle,then finish hunt with the pistol..Setting up on an old tree fall, I shot two squirrels who got up on top of a fence post from 51 yards..this rifle is a heavy hitter using JSB 15.8 gr.......I waited another 15 minutes...nothing...so gathered up my gear to make the trek over and retrieve the squirrels..grass/weeds were about two feet high,and thick,so I used my shooting sticks to 'probe' ahead of where I was walking....I got within 2 feet of the fence line and seen part of one squirrel laying at base of the fence post...but then I seen something move....RATTLESNAKE..!! He was lying right next to the squirrel I had shot....I did best I could with pics,but snake was getting agitated,so I backed off...I then went to another area,and shot my first squirrel with the LD .22 pistol from 25 yards.....that made my day !!!PICS..Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#2 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,667 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 22 July 2010 - 12:59 PM

I love that pistol I need to get one to whack all of the English sparrows that come into my yard. :yikes[1]: ;)

#3 ratassassin

ratassassin

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts
  • Interests:Handloading, hunting, target shooting.

Posted 22 July 2010 - 12:59 PM

Nice hunt and photos. Glad you spotted that rattler!

#4 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,397 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 01:45 PM

I love that pistol I need to get one to whack all of the English sparrows that come into my yard. :signs165xk: :653:

Verrry accurate...have tested it out to 40 yards so far...can reach 50 yards easy...best buy I've made in a long time....the 13 1/2 barrel gives it nice balance...have yet to try it with the 3.5 oz tank...been shoot carts...but plan to get tank on for next hunt...can get over 200 shots..!!

#5 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,397 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 01:48 PM

Nice hunt and photos. Glad you spotted that rattler!

Been hunting that area for over two years..knew rattlers were there,but never seen one till today...with grass/weeds up I have been going at slow pace keeping my eyes open...

#6 mackeralboy

mackeralboy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 911 posts
  • Interests:Hunting anything above or below the water. Kayaking, Backpacking, Scuba, Surfing, anything outdoors.

Posted 22 July 2010 - 08:47 PM

Good eye on the Rattler Rich. I was hunting back in May and damn near stepped on one in some tall weeds that had overtaken a dirt road. I must have startled it, because it didn't even get off a rattle before it sprung up like a jack in a box and attempted to strike.

#7 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,397 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 07:23 AM

This one never 'rattled',but I suspect he had already eaten a squeek maybe before I shot those two squirrels. Last year I was standing at corner of a barn on a ranch hunt,when I seen something move at my feet..a rattler came from behind and went between my feet...!! He had eaten something..(I think a small squirrel)..when I shot him,he never 'rattled'..PIC..Posted Image

#8 Mr Del

Mr Del

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 09:34 AM

If I had seen a rattle snake go between my legs, I would be 6 feet off the ground and NEVER come down. I have no idea how I would do that but that is my story and I stickin to it.

#9 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,397 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 09:59 AM

I just stood very still till he got clear of my feet...then lowered my 1377C,took aim and put a RWS holow point right in his cabeza...Back in the 70's a friend from Sweden wanted to see our local desert...so we went hiking and I heard a rattlesnake just next to the trail...I got down on my knees,and took this B&W photo with 35 mm standard lens about 18" from this rattlers nose..my friend freaked out...lol...Posted ImageI lived in New Mexico when I was 12,and we would hunt rattlers often...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users