21 replies to this topic

#1 Karl

Karl

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 601 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 04:56 PM

I picked up an old school desk and seat in one. It is perfect for a shooting bench.What I am trying to figure out is the best style of top to make. What is your favorite design and why? All ideas and opinions are welcome!Thank You, Karl
Karl

#2 acousticmood

acousticmood

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 05:13 PM

:roflmao3[1]:

#3 Mr Del

Mr Del

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 05:29 PM

Very good idea! I would start with making the top... flat with the ground. I would do this by adding that piece of plywood on top of what you already have. Make it big enough so you can cut out the side you are going to shoot from. Leave enough material to extend back where the butt of the gun will end up to make it comfortable to shoot a rifle with a scope. This extenstion is so you don't have to sit so close your ribs are pushed into the board in front of you. This will leave you a *space* underneath to store ammo and stuff. This school seat is a great idea. I will be on the look out for one myself. Tanks. Murph.

#4 Red Dog

Red Dog

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 06:12 PM

Posted ImageWorks good for me. I would make that cut out a little deeper. I think that is 6 inches deep. I would go more like 8 inches deep next time.

#5 JimT.

JimT.

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 06:31 PM

FirstBadger, what do you think?

#6 gbp

gbp

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 06:59 PM

if you watch the vid, i am really beginning to like their shooting bench as either left or right can use it. me shooting left and my son shooting right it would be ideal.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

#7 JimT.

JimT.

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 07:42 PM

How you going to make it ambidextrous?

#8 Heywood

Heywood

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 09:32 PM

Posted ImageThe top is similar to Red's above but the cutout is a little deeper.

#9 JimT.

JimT.

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 09:43 PM

Have you tried it yet?

#10 OrneryOlMofo357

OrneryOlMofo357

Tikka Shooter, and a bad shot at that.

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,024 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 06:40 AM

Posted ImageThe top is similar to Red's above but the cutout is a little deeper.

Great looking shooting table! Im thinking that being attatched to the vehicle its for private land only? Looks very functional!
Fathom the hypocrisy of a government that require every citizen to prove they are insured... but not everyone must prove they are a citizen.

#11 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,277 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 06:44 AM

Notch it out on both sides.

#12 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,481 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 17 July 2010 - 07:38 AM

Great looking shooting table! Im thinking that being attatched to the vehicle its for private land only? Looks very functional!

That's not even legal for private land in California. Remember any sort of shooting platform must be separated from the vehicle like on a trailer.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#13 OrneryOlMofo357

OrneryOlMofo357

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,024 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 10:34 AM

Thanks John.. but thats where it gets sticky,, I was told by F&G that a trailer made into a shooting table is ok on public land as long as its not attatched. I also asked him about Private land with no public access. He said that you could leave it connected. I wish these rules could be written where you dont need a lawyer to translate.
Fathom the hypocrisy of a government that require every citizen to prove they are insured... but not everyone must prove they are a citizen.

#14 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,481 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 11:35 AM

It's not really sticky anymore this is the law.http://www.californi...d...st&p=186374

Carrie Wilson a CDF&G Biologist has a weekly Q & A column in the Modesto Bee. In October this question and answer was printed."Loaded Guns on Private Property Behind Locked Gates?Question: When hunting on private property that is located behind locked gates from the nearest public road, can hunters be cited for having a loaded rifle (unexpended cartridge in chamber) in a vehicle? While I always remove the cartridge from the chamber of my rifle when I get in my vehicle for safety reasons, I thought from a legal perspective a loaded gun in a vehicle was unlawful only when “on or along a highway, or other way open to the public” as specified in Section 2006 of the California Fish and Game Code. I don’t plan to change my habits of unloading a cartridge from the chamber when I get into a vehicle, but want to make sure I am reading the code properly. Thanks. (Christian K.)Answer: You can legally have a loaded gun in a vehicle as long as you are on private property behind locked gates with no public access. For obvious reasons, though, this practice is strongly discouraged due to safety concerns. Many hunter accidents have occurred due to loaded firearms in vehicles. And remember, despite the provision here allowing for a loaded gun, you are still not allowed to take an animal by discharging the firearm from a vehicle — even if you are on private property."

Time waits for no one--

#15 OrneryOlMofo357

OrneryOlMofo357

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,024 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 02:27 PM

Thanks soo much for the answer John... My phone call to F&G now shows me that it is worth nothing. The Warden said noting to that effect.. Thanks for keeping us clear on this subject. :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow:

#16 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,481 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 02:39 PM

I used to do it to Grant. Now I won't because I see it in print.

Time waits for no one--

#17 Rimrock

Rimrock

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,327 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 04:27 PM

I used to do it to Grant. Now I won't because I see it in print.

Yeah, me too. Anybody want to buy my SAV ?? Between this and the no-lead ban, it kinda puts the squirrel shooting on the back burner.

#18 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,277 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 04:34 PM

Yeah, me too. Anybody want to buy my SAV ?? Between this and the no-lead ban, it kinda puts the squirrel shooting on the back burner.

Don't worry about shooting out the jeep if you have to go threw a few locked gates to get to your squirrel place no one will bother you.

#19 OrneryOlMofo357

OrneryOlMofo357

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,024 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 02:14 PM

I guess wether its lawful or not comes to mind. And what is posted here is read by others that are not friendly to our cause... God this state sucks...

#20 Karl

Karl

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 601 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 04:29 AM

Thanks for the input!I will post pics when I have time to complete.Karl
Karl

#21 JimT.

JimT.

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 03:33 PM

Yes, more photos.

#22 gbp

gbp

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 05:43 PM

if you look at the vid the shooter is basically in the center of the table and it extends down each side of the shooter. instead of the shooter sitting off to one side.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users