#1 CD3

CD3

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts
  • Interests:ANYTHING THAT GOES BANG.

Posted 16 July 2010 - 10:53 AM

So, I bought an AR yesterday it an M&P 15 lower with a A2 stock RRA 18" Varmint A4 heavy barrel upper with a 1/8 twist, 2 stage trigger, hogue grip. I have a question will the 1/8 twist be able to shoot 55gr V-Max? I have some 63gr sierra game king's that I plan to load up but I really like the 55gr V-Max for coyote's. 9 more day until it's free from jail......

#2 Red Dog

Red Dog

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 01:19 PM

Welcome to the club!! I would think that you should be just fine with 55 grainers. All rifles are different though so you never know. Just give em a try.

#3 Fjold

Fjold

Traveling hitman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,811 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, hunting and fishing.

Posted 16 July 2010 - 02:04 PM

I've shot 50 grainers in the 1:9" twist and one of my guns likes the light weight bullets the best. Give it a whirl it will probably work fine.

#4 ratassassin

ratassassin

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,695 posts
  • Interests:Handloading, hunting, target shooting.

Posted 16 July 2010 - 03:18 PM

Congrats. For what it's worth, my Tikka T3 Lite .223 with a 1:8" twist barrel really likes Sierra GameKing 65 grain and the 60 grain V-Max's.

#5 socalbry

socalbry

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 04:06 PM

I think we have the same RRA uppers. I also have the 1:8 twist. I boresighted it at home, took it afield and used some XM193, 55GR FMJ to get in on paper. Once on paper it shot 10 more rounds of XM193 and could cover the group with a silver dollar. (100 yards). I then loaded some Federal GM223M 69 grn SMK and could cover the group with 2 quarters......Going out this weekend to try some BlackHills 69 grn and Hornady 69 grn.

#6 CD3

CD3

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 04:17 PM

I thought the game kings were 63gr there the 65gr. Thanks for the info Socalbry, let me know how the 69gr's work out. I'm gonna have to try the 60gr V-Max... I hate jail time...Kaliformia sucks......

#7 Bronco

Bronco

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,123 posts
  • Interests:Hunting i.e. deer, varmints, yotes. Target Shooting, Trap Shooting.

Posted 17 July 2010 - 08:29 AM

Congrats on your purchase. You should be fine with 55 grain bullets in your 1:8 twist. I however have found that mine really likes the 62 grain bullets.

#8 JimT.

JimT.

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 08:50 AM

I plan on putting my 6.5 Grendel together today.

#9 CD3

CD3

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 09:05 AM

I plan on putting my 6.5 Grendel together today.

What make upper do you have for the 6.5

#10 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts
  • Interests:God, family & country. Predator hunting, shooting, reloading.

Posted 17 July 2010 - 09:20 AM

Where did ya get your upper parts Jim...from Alexander Arms? What length barrel did ya buy? Fill us in.

#11 socalbry

socalbry

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 09:53 AM

I thought the game kings were 63gr there the 65gr. Thanks for the info Socalbry, let me know how the 69gr's work out. I'm gonna have to try the 60gr V-Max... I hate jail time...Kaliformia sucks...... Yep, you're correct, I got my bullets mixed up. The Federal Gold Medal Match are Sierra BTHP. Sorry!

#12 OrneryOlMofo357

OrneryOlMofo357

Tikka Shooter, and a bad shot at that.

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,058 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 05:45 PM

The 1/8 twist should allow you to find good results with bullets heaver than 62 or 63, what will limit the weight of bullets is Magazine length. After a certain length single shot is the option.. same with Bolts.. good luck

#13 rude robert

rude robert

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 04:53 PM

It will be great with the 1 and 8 twist. The military uses 1 and 7 for even heavier bullets

#14 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,319 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 03:53 PM

Post up some groups I want to see how well that upper can shoot.I will be building one in the future. :smiley-funny-post-sign:

#15 CD3

CD3

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 02:31 PM

Ok, so I took my AR out to sight it in. I got it on paper and then thought I would sight it in for some 65gr Sierra Game kings that I had . The shot to the right is the 1st the shot to the left is the 2nd and the rest is history. I shot another 6 shot group that could be covered by a dime. Very very impressed with the rifle and the load. Now it's time to go do some Dog control on the ranch. Attached File  1.jpg   11.18KB   24 downloadsThought I would post a picture of the rifle.Attached File  2.jpg   20.3KB   24 downloads

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users