• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Yodel Dog

Yodel Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts
  • Interests:Guns and hunting, fishing when I can.

Posted 13 July 2010 - 10:24 PM

Pickled EggsI'm using a large used pickle jar, cleaned and boiled.20 extra large eggs2 1/2 cups distilled white vinegar2 1/2 cups water1 1/2 tablespoon pickling spice2 cloves garlic, crushed2 bay leaves1. Boil eggs till "hard boiled" and peel.2. Mix together the vinegar, water and pickling spice. Bring to a boil and add the garlic and bay leaves. ~ Remove from heat.3. Load the eggs into sterile jar. Fill the jar with the hot vinegar mixture, seal and refrigerate 8 to 10 days before serving.Serve with cold beer.Posted Image

#2 beuller81

beuller81

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 11:54 PM

I saw "pickled eggs" on the post and my eyes lit right up. Then i saw the jar!!!! holy cow pie they look good.

#3 JimT.

JimT.

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 02:59 AM

I love eggs in any way, shape or form. I would add mayo and make egg salad sandwiches. I threw three hard boiled eggs into my potato salad last night and added a little mayo and started eating. Yum-yum!

#4 handgun

handgun

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • Interests:Guns and Dogs

Posted 14 July 2010 - 07:17 AM

I love pickled eggs but I cheat :crazy: , I buy a large jar of dill pickles and when it is half empty I trough in a 1/2 dozen hard boiled eggs. I think that you have motivated me to try your recipe, thanks!!

#5 Jeff

Jeff

SacramentoSkullWorks

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 07:40 AM

Might have to try some quail eggs that way. I've got so many I'm running out of ways to eat them.

#6 Camoghost

Camoghost

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 07:42 AM

I had my first pickled egg on July 4th of this year.. I was a bit nervous at first but once I took a bite I was hooked.. They are really good but they have a very stinky side effect! I'm going to try your recipe (thanks for sharing).. May have to spice it up with some peppers!

#7 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,663 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 14 July 2010 - 08:03 AM

Those definitely look good Kevin. I used to make them when my chickens were producing so many eggs I didn't know what to do with all of them. I was buying vinegar by the case to pickle a special variety of pepper we grow and my father-in-law suggested the egg idea. After giving out samples of the eggs I had to tell my wife to stop giving them away to her friends and leave some for me. The pickled eggs became one of our most sought after products with only olives beating them out for the top spot.Jeff those quail eggs would be terrific! Like little hors d'oeuvres those quail eggs would sell like hotcakes. :crazy:

#8 Mr Del

Mr Del

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 09:16 AM

When I smoke, nuts, jerky, cheese, etc. I always add a few hard boiled eggs. I would like to try the pickeled eggs you have shared with us here. Thanks.Murph.

#9 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,663 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 09:52 AM

I asked the wife which of her recipes was the popular one and she said the spicy. So here is what it takes. The best part is I can store them on the shelf because they are canned. Worst part is unless we make a bunch they don't last a month.Spicy Pickled Eggs * 12 eggs * 1 quart vinegar * 6 cloves garlic * 1 tablespoon white peppercorns * 1 tablespoon allspice berries * 1-3 slice fresh ginger root Directions:Prep Time: 18 minsTotal Time: 58 mins 1. Place eggs in saucepan and cover with water. 2. When water begins to boil, remove from heat and cover. 3. Let eggs sit in hot water for 18 minutes. 4. Cool in cold water and peel. 5. In a saucepan, combine vinegar, garlic, peppercorns, allspice and sliced ginger. 6. Simmer for 10 minutes. 7. Place eggs in sterilized jars. 8. Pour vinegar mixture over eggs. 9. (You may strain vinegar, if desired.) Seal and place jars in preserving pan with rack. 10. Water should cover jars with at least 1-inch of water above tops of jars. 11. Bring water to a boil; cover and boil for 10 minutes. 12. Remove jars and cool. 13. Check seals. 14. Store about one month before opening.

#10 Yodel Dog

Yodel Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 10:26 AM

The recipe I posted and used is very mild, but I'm the only one here that likes spicy. The next batch I'll make spicy and keep for myself.I'll have to try your recipe SJ, it definitely looks on the spicy side.

#11 BC9696

BC9696

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 10:27 AM

My wife makes em with chopped up habanero peppers...now that's spicy! But it's a good burn. :smiley_turkey_pop_up_log:

#12 Camoghost

Camoghost

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 10:41 AM

You guys are killing me!! I want pickled eggs and nice cold Sierra Nevada right now and it's not even 12:00!! I think I will have to cheat and go to Smart & Final and pick up a jar of them while these are brewing!! S/J, I'm going to make a jar of your wifeís recipe as well!! The quail eggs would be soooo good! Not to get off subject but I want to try pickled pigs feet... Anyone here ever try one? What should I expect for flavor?

#13 Anchor Man

Anchor Man

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 11:26 AM

I have eaten them all my life. The flavor is best described as heavy vinegar. You have to develope a taste for them. Pork Hocks are more meaty. The feet are mostly fat.

#14 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,833 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 14 July 2010 - 11:30 AM

OH come on guys. What ever happend to steak and potatoes. ;) Those eggs would put me down.Im alergic to any eggs . Pigs feet :smiley_turkey_pop_up_log: :signs165xk: . My mom used to suck on those slimy stinky things all the time. the eggs sounds good but deadly.

#15 BC9696

BC9696

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 05:51 AM

If ya consider what pig feet spend most of their time in...why on Earth would you wanna put one in your mouth? :roflmao3[1]:

#16 Jeff

Jeff

SacramentoSkullWorks

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 11:55 AM

Pickled six 1/2 pint jars of quail eggs this weekend. And one 1/2 pint jar of garlic.All I've got to say is that I'm not doing that again unless one of you guys is peeling the eggs. I knew quail eggs sucked to deshell, but that was pretty close to not worth it. I'll buy chicken eggs at the store next time around.

#17 Yodel Dog

Yodel Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 03:28 PM

Pickled six 1/2 pint jars of quail eggs this weekend. And one 1/2 pint jar of garlic.All I've got to say is that I'm not doing that again unless one of you guys is peeling the eggs. I knew quail eggs sucked to deshell, but that was pretty close to not worth it. I'll buy chicken eggs at the store next time around.

THAT is a lot of work Jeff. You may just have to set those jars back for yourself. :signbs1zn: I played around and found a recipe for quail eggs. The egg shells are dissolved.Try here: How To Pickle Quail Eggs

#18 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,663 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 05:27 PM

Jeff very fresh eggs are extremely difficult to peel. You might try this tip.Boil the egg, drain the water from the pan, put the lid back on and give the pan a few shakes as if you were making popcorn (forward and back, as well as a little up and down). Next, add cold water to cover the eggs, let sit for one or two minutes, drain and peel. At this point, they should peel easily. Also, eggs that are seven to 14 days old will peel easier after boiling than very fresh eggs.

#19 Jeff

Jeff

SacramentoSkullWorks

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 09:15 PM

John, I did all of the above and then some. I read up on pickling quail eggs specifically and followed all instruction. The quail eggs have that strong membrane between the shell and the egg. It was not easy to do. I've been collecting 7-12 eggs a day, and started with almost 80 eggs...Oh well, if the pickling solution I used works out, then it'll be worth it...I guess.I ran across that recipe but only read through the ingredients for the pickling recipe. Wish I had read further. If I do it again - that will be the route to take. Weird that no other recipe I ran across said to dissolve the shell. They all said to peel.

#20 sportyg

sportyg

Sportyg

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts
  • Interests:Camping, Fishing, hunting, Football, playing backgammon,& music

Founder: Hunters Helping Hunters
    www.huntershelpinghuntersUSA.org
    LM:NAHC

Posted 19 July 2010 - 09:46 PM

instead of vinager use Jalapno juice with the peppers also mix in some mustard... let sit for two weeks...

#21 BC9696

BC9696

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 05:33 PM

Couldn't that create dangerously high pH levels and risk Botulism? Just asking...

#22 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,663 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 06:19 PM

"What doesn't kill us makes us stronger." :signbummer8tl:

#23 BC9696

BC9696

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 10:35 PM

Not always...just look at Obama. :yikes[1]:

#24 Camoghost

Camoghost

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 06:54 AM

I couldn't wait to get some time to start making these tasty treats.. So I cheated a little and bought these off the internet.. I have only tried the clear ones and they are very bland and vinegary.. Nothing like my buddies eggs that I tried on the 4th. So I called him and he told me to dump a jar of hot peppers and let it sit a few days.. I hope it works!! Planning on starting my homemade batch of eggs this weekend after I get home from a little bow hunting. Iím going to try all of your recipes! Attached File  pickegg1.jpg   74.16KB   20 downloads Spiced up and ready for beer? Attached File  pick2.jpg   52.75KB   22 downloads

#25 BC9696

BC9696

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 11:34 AM

pour the vinegar into a saucepan and add the peppers, heat em up for five to seven minutes, let cool awhile and pour back into jar w/ the eggs. The pepper's heat will blend with the vinegar which will in turn heat up the eggs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users