3 replies to this topic

#1 prvtpyle

prvtpyle

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 September 2006 - 02:34 PM

I posted this in the equipment forum and thought it might be better here. I hope no one objects to my posting this twice.I am looking at purchasing an anschutz bolt action pistol in 17hmr. I have read some of the posts about putting rifle scopes on pistols (contenders). I would like to ask for more information on this subject from those who have first hand experience with this. -- Which rifle scope offers the longest eye relief? Is it needed?-- What setup works for you? Im looking at 17 hmr caliber as stated above.-- Once you mount a rifle scope, this would never be shot at arms length in the traditional pistol shooting position. Correct?Any other input would be greatly appreciated.Thanks

#2 Fjold

Fjold

Traveling hitman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,811 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, hunting and fishing.

Posted 07 September 2006 - 06:12 PM

I use a Remington XP-100 in 223 occasionally and I have a long eye relief pistol scope on it but if I did it all over again I would go with a scout type scope where the eye relief is 12-18". My pistol scope requires that the scope be over 2 feet from the eye so it is only comfoprtable to shoot off a bench. Even prone with a bipod is uncomfortable because you cannot get back far enough to use it.I've seen the rifle scopes on them but holding the pistol 3-4" from my eye is just as uncomfortable. You may as well be using a rifle then.

#3 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,583 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 07 September 2006 - 07:07 PM

I have a 17 HMR barrel on one of my Contender frames. Here's a picture of it with a Burris Short Mag 4-14.5 scope on it.Posted ImageIt is a rifle scope and for how the gun is used is what I recommend. If you look back for posts by Bill D. you'll see he uses rifle scopes on his too. This scope gives me over 4 inches of eye relief. Since there is no recoil and you'll be using it off of a rest or shooting sticks you are able to get decent power in a scope. You just don't free hand these guns for any accuracy at distance so you need the extra power scopes. It shoots like a dream I really enjoy the round in this size gun.

#4 A17Shooter

A17Shooter

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,799 posts
  • Interests:Varmint Hunting, Rifles, Hunting Pistols, Long Range, Computers, Cameras

Posted 07 September 2006 - 09:55 PM

prvtpyle,Espeically with the rimfires, the rifle scopes work great for me. I do shoot both rifle and pistol scopes on handguns. Up around the the 22-250 caliber most rifle scopes don't have enough eye relief to keep the scope away from my nose. ;) A17Shooter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users