• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts
  • Interests:God, family & country. Predator hunting, shooting, reloading.

Posted 03 July 2010 - 07:46 AM

Pictured below is the not so "new" Nightforce reticle on the left and the Hawke SR series reticle on the right. Note that the Nightforce reticle lacks the range finding brackets the Hawke has. Attached File  Nightforce_Reticle.jpg   82.88KB   22 downloads Attached File  HAWKE_SR12_RETICLE.jpg   23.17KB   19 downloads
"Never hold discussions with the monkey when the organ grinder is in the room." Winston Churchill

#2 JimT.

JimT.

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 06:55 PM

I have to agree that the Hawke scope gives you a big bang for your buck!

#3 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 08:30 PM

So far, I have replaced "popular brand" glass on five of my rifles with Hawke glass. I have never looked back. No regrets at all.
"Never hold discussions with the monkey when the organ grinder is in the room." Winston Churchill

#4 Divernhunter

Divernhunter

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,228 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fun target shooting, reloading, collecting firearms. Also enjoy scuba diving and welding. Shoot 22RF to 50bmg.

Posted 06 July 2010 - 10:43 PM

Nightforce makes a number of different reticles. So pick one you like. Their glass is also top line and they are built well. I have a Nightforce NXS 5.5X22X56 NP-R2 on each of my 50bmg's and I have never seen any other scope as good. I am a diehard Leupold fan for my hunting rifles/pistols but if I had the money I would put Nightforce scopes on them. They are like a Leupold on steriods. I understand you push and sell the Hawke scopes and I will not bash them. However your post seems to me as a put down on Nightforce and I find that in poor taste. Someone who has not seen as much glass as I(or others) could get the wrong idea and not understand that it is just you trying to sell your product. Nobody in their right mind or who has much expierence would put down Nightforce or Leupold scopes. I have seen what comes into a gun shop after the first bad weather during deer season and some of my firearms have been to hell and back more than once with no trouble from the scopes. Your brand may be good as these or not but do not try to step up by putting down a top quality brand. Earn a good reputation on the merits of what you have.End of rantMy 2 Cents

#5 JimT.

JimT.

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 10:37 PM

I have always thought buy the best glass you can afford. For example, if you buy a rifle for $600. then put $600. glass on that rifle. If you buy a custom $2,000. rifle then put a $2,000. piece of glass on that rifle. You buy a $300. .17HMR rifle and you put a $300. glass on it. I'm sure we all get the picture. Also, for the most part we'll always get what we pay for.

#6 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 05:16 PM

Nightforce makes a number of different reticles. So pick one you like. Their glass is also top line and they are built well. I have a Nightforce NXS 5.5X22X56 NP-R2 on each of my 50bmg's and I have never seen any other scope as good. I am a diehard Leupold fan for my hunting rifles/pistols but if I had the money I would put Nightforce scopes on them. They are like a Leupold on steriods. I understand you push and sell the Hawke scopes and I will not bash them. However your post seems to me as a put down on Nightforce and I find that in poor taste. Someone who has not seen as much glass as I(or others) could get the wrong idea and not understand that it is just you trying to sell your product. Nobody in their right mind or who has much expierence would put down Nightforce or Leupold scopes. I have seen what comes into a gun shop after the first bad weather during deer season and some of my firearms have been to hell and back more than once with no trouble from the scopes. Your brand may be good as these or not but do not try to step up by putting down a top quality brand. Earn a good reputation on the merits of what you have.End of rantMy 2 Cents

WOAH...calm down there Tex. I was not "putting down" Nightforce or Leupold. Simply stating comparisons. I realize there are some guys that are total loyalists as far as certain brands (of any products....Ford vs. Chevy...etc.) are concerned and that is certainly obvious by the strength and conviction of your prior posts, specifically regarding optics. I think you are over reacting a tad but I understand and I respect your enthusiasm. You obviously have the bucks to spend and like sporting the name brand gear. More power to ya. My focus is targeted with the emphasis on "value" for $$$ spent. Many of the members would love to be able to afford the high end Leupold, Zeiss, U.S. Optics or Nightforce optics however, the cost is prohibitive to the average person (especially when you add in the cost of the divorce proceedings). My claim is that Hawke provides a terrific product that far exceeds consumer expectations, especially when considering the reasonable cost. Speaking for myself, I refuse to pay in excess of one thousand dollars for a scope that is only marginally better than my $400.00 Hawke. I personally don't see the sense in it. I could care less about bragging rights, I am only interested in reliable performance and quality glass. In addition, my shooting skills, although above average, do not necessitate or justify dropping major bucks on a famous brand scope. I can shoot just as well with my Hawke glass.That is and always has been and will remain my claim regarding Hawke optics. I will proudly put a Hawke scope side-by-side against any brand and if the Hawke is bested by a big name, the difference won't be by much. It certainly won't be worth the difference in price. We (RedHunterLLC) also offer personal customer service that you will not find anywhere else, at any price. No rant.....just fact.There is a reason why Hawke optics are selling so well and the reasons are mentioned above. You may be acting in poor taste by saying I just want to sell my products. I have customers on this and other forums that are very satisfied with their Hawke optics. If what I say is not true, I would be called out quickly by those that have actually looked through and used a Hawke scope. I own Leupold and other major brands and I have been messing around with rifles for over 40+ years. Perhaps you should consider expanding your horizons.

#7 JimT.

JimT.

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 09:27 PM

Without a doubt when I watch the history channel and they cover our current sniper tactics and rifles with scopes I pay close attention to the Nightforce, S & B, high end Leupolds and Unertl scopes. Snipers get whatever they want and price is not an issue. Of course if we did not have to pay for our glass we would do the same. Like Red said and I have to agree I have never paid more than $1,100. for a scope and that was the Leupold. I did it twice. I have 20 other scopes I have not paid more than $600. and most of them much less. We buy the best scope we can afford and all want the biggest bang for our buck. Your high end Hawke scope is going to run around $400.-$420. I think Red's point is you may be getting very near the same quality of scope for about half the money. And, the difference in quality may not be noticed by the average person. I tried the Hawke scope and I am not disappointed. I believe it is a buyer's market with so many good pieces of glass out there. I wish I could afford a Nightforce scope. Not yet. I'm still dreaming.

#8 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 05:57 PM

I am glad that you understood what I was trying to say Jim. I was not bagging on Leupold or Nightforce, I was simply stating that the "new" Nightforce reticle seems almost identical to the Hawke's. I changed my scopes because I like the Hawke glass and other features that made the change worthwhile to me. I love the Hawke ballistic program and the fact that it is accurately mated to the Hawke reticle and any custom load I choose to shoot.

#9 JimT.

JimT.

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 06:44 PM

Hi Red, exactly! The Hawke is one-fourth the price of the Nightforce and the difference in quality may not be perceptible or not. Of course if I could go out and spend $1,500. on a Nightforce piece of glass and it would not make a difference in my checking balance I'd be out there matching Nightforce scopes to all my rifles BUT I cannot afford to do that. I think we've expressed our point. The Hawke scope is one helluva bang for your buck! Enough said.

#10 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 09:32 AM

Well, I did talk to Doug (Divernhunter) on the phone regarding our forum exchange (about Leupold, Nightforce, Hawke scopes). Fortunately, Doug PM'ed me, voiced some concerns about the direction things were going and sent his phone number so we could talk. I gave him a call and we were able to understand each other much better on the phone. Sometimes words on a forum post can be taken in different ways and I am happy to say that Doug and I now understand each other a whole lot better. This is a great board with good people. Sometimes the best way to resolve any issues is to talk. We did and I am glad he sent his number. Doug is a stand up guy and I appreciate his forthright approach. :roflmao3[1]:

#11 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,176 posts
  • Interests:Target shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Fishing, Camping

Posted 17 July 2010 - 08:11 PM

I drink to that :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow:
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former" Albert Einstein

#12 Divernhunter

Divernhunter

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,228 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fun target shooting, reloading, collecting firearms. Also enjoy scuba diving and welding. Shoot 22RF to 50bmg.

Posted 18 July 2010 - 05:23 AM

I might add that I was happy with the outcome of our phone call and understand his posts better now. No harm ....No foul.---Take Care ---Doug

#13 JimT.

JimT.

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 12:48 PM

I drink to that :drinks:

Jim Beam and coke if it's okay with you.

#14 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 03:12 PM

Yeah....make mine a Captain Morgan & Coke....shiver me timbers mate. :roflmao3[1]:

#15 BC9696

BC9696

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 03:25 PM

Sometimes words on a forum post can be taken in different ways

Boy ya got that right. Without a facial expression, body languange or speech inflexion, it is almost impossible to tell if somebody is being serious or humorous or just plain stupid. Some people are quick on the trigger to pass judgment on an inoculous post just because they "perceive" some sort of "tone" that cannot actually exist in the typed word. Like I always say, tiny points of light on your monitor cannot hurt you........................................unless you let em. :roflmao3[1]: Smart move on the phone call.

#16 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 04:26 PM

I was at fault because I got a bit sarcastic at the end of my post. :roflmao3[1]: That does nothing but :pot: Things are square now and that's what counts.

#17 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,176 posts
  • Interests:Target shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Fishing, Camping

Posted 18 July 2010 - 06:20 PM

Jim Beam and coke if it's okay with you.

That's fine with me Jim.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former" Albert Einstein

#18 JimT.

JimT.

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 06:32 PM

Yeah....make mine a Captain Morgan & Coke....shiver me timbers mate. :roflmao3[1]:

Hi Red, next time CPC gets together I'll provide the Captain Morgan and Coke.

#19 JimT.

JimT.

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 06:35 PM

That's fine with me Jim.

I'm more for socializing and camping where we tell stories, relax and rest. The Jim Beam and Coke really mellows me out. I wonder when we'll plan on getting together again. Will it be another early April calling?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users