17 replies to this topic

#1 zippy1970

zippy1970

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 04:58 PM

I will be going up to Big Bear and the Carp are shallow . People are Bowing the crap out of the Carp according to report . But what I always used was Corn and someone once told me that its a no no .. looked on DFG , " Restricted baits " and corn is not under it . I was told that Trout can not process the skin , like humans , and it kills them ..... What do you know ? please share , I would use my dough bait but I cant find it & I know it worked . Trying not to experiment . Corn will kill . Andy

#2 Old timer

Old timer

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts
  • Interests:Hunting (all types) fishing and reading all the posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 05:05 PM

Just take some white bread pull a little off dampen it and make your own dough balls
Without hunters there wouldn't be much of an environment to protect!!Conservation of Wild Life Through the Taking of Predators by Sportsmen United we stand

#3 Mr Del

Mr Del

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 05:06 PM

I also was with the understanding that corn was a no-no for trout fishing. The people that I know make there own doe-balls for bait. Of course they have their own recipes. I have never fished for carp, soooo I don't have a SECRET.Dinner is ready when the smoke alarm goes off.Murph.

#4 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,314 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 01 July 2010 - 05:27 PM

We troll with white shoe peg corn for Kokanee.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#5 OrneryOlMofo357

OrneryOlMofo357

Tikka Shooter, and a bad shot at that.

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,973 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 06:26 PM

For Carp, dough balls works well, as a Kid I lived in Windsor near the Russian river and the Carp were very responsive. But if there are alot of Carp where you are going, Id take some Chicken Liver, and some plain old frozen anchovies along as well. Carp eat about the same things as Catfish, and those always seemed to work well. Make sure that you get a roll of Magic Thread for the Anchovies and the Liver, wrap it around the bait, and make the fish work for it. We always called Anchovies " Popcicyles" cus when they melt they practically fall off of the hook. I used to use corn for trout occasionally, but I heard that it clogs up their Digestive system? But for carp, Id go with the stinky baits.. Good Luck !
“Fathom the hypocrisy of a government that require every citizen to prove they are insured... but not everyone must prove they are a citizen.”

#6 zippy1970

zippy1970

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 07:38 PM

thank you all . At the privates ( pay to play ) lakes I did it during the summer , no trout , so they did not care . They mostly worried about chumming it . Which was not needed . SJ : I heard about putting a yellow bead on a hook just for the Carp . Kinda hard to find on my short time . And I can't stop on the way there as I will have 2 " pesky " German Shepherds in the car . Old timer : I have heard that bread is great when they are on the surface feeding . Onryolmofo : I had "stink " bait when up North fishing for Cats & did get Carps from time to time . I am hoping to find rental bow gear . Might have to get a boat at that point but still poss from shore , in the shallows . I will post what happens . Andy

#7 Jeff213

Jeff213

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 08:15 PM

Just use the corn for bait, trout are not that smart of a fish and eat things larger than kernels of corn all of the time. I have personally cleaned trout with sticks and small pine cones in their guts. Just don't chum it and it will be fine. It is not illegal in CA to use corn as bait, even in trout lakes.

#8 BullsEye

BullsEye

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,057 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 08:39 PM

If you don't have magic thread raid your girls panty hose drawer and cut one into small pouches or squares and wrap the bait (liver anchovies) in that then add the hook to keep things together. If you have time excessively salt the chovies so that they become almost dry and stiff. It makes hooking the chovies a little easier. Good luck! Bow fishing sounds like fun!

#9 Colin

Colin

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 08:51 PM

I just made some homemade catfish dip bait today...we will see this weekend how it works. Make some dough with some white flour, a little salt (the site works as a binder) and water. You can make it as thin (for dip bait) or thick (for dough balls) as you want. For the catfish bait I put Chicken liver, a couple of cloves of garlic, a couple of sardines and a handful of nightcrawlers in the blender. Blended it up and added it to the dough and mixed it up. I will let it sit in the sun for a few days and go for it. How about getting some creamed corn and do the same idea...just make the dough thicker for dough balls and use that? Maybe blend it, if you are worried about the skins...It took me all of 10 minutes to make about a pint.

#10 mtn dog

mtn dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts
  • Interests:Predator hunting.
    Other interests:
    My family, writing, photography, 2nd Amendment.
    Looking forward to meeting as many of you as possible.

Posted 01 July 2010 - 09:10 PM

For the catfish bait I put Chicken liver, a couple of cloves of garlic, a couple of sardines and a handful of nightcrawlers in the blender. Blended it up and added it to the dough and mixed it up. I will let it sit in the sun for a few days and go for it.

Tomorrow morning someone in your house is going to wonder about that funny after-taste in their breakfast fruit smoothie!!! :welcomeani:
"If we make enough laws, we can all be criminals."

#11 Colin

Colin

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 09:12 PM

No doubt Mtn Dog...My wife made me throw out the blender. I will keep it for making bait in the garage though. DON'T TELL HER!!!!

#12 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,735 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 02 July 2010 - 08:03 AM

That bisket stuff that comes in a tupe that you hit it on smething to pop it open is great for carp. Sweet corn is good also. The only thing you can't use is live native fin fish in waters that they are not from. Oh and human body parts :welcomeani: .alot of trout waters are artificial lures with barbles hooks only.
You can hop but you can't hide. Yahi Bowmen. Its not how far you can shoot but how close to the game you get when you shoot. Sights we don't need any sights. Why waist time reloading when I can be making arrows.

#13 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,314 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 08:39 AM

I save the human body parts for my crawdad traps. :welcomeani:

Time waits for no one--

#14 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,230 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 08:16 PM

Corn is great for carp.I use to peel the corn of the cob and throw it in the river then just wait a little and watch the carp suck it down.It's fun catching them on a pole they will put up a good fight.

#15 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,314 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 08:04 AM

Wow! Those must be BIG carp if they can suck down a whole cob! :yikes[1]: :doh[1]: :roflmao3[1]:

Time waits for no one--

#16 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,230 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 12:40 PM

hell yeah John we grow them huge out here :roflmao3[1]:

#17 sportyg

sportyg

Sportyg

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 740 posts
  • Interests:Camping, Fishing, hunting, Football, playing backgammon,& music

Founder: Hunters Helping Hunters
    www.huntershelpinghuntersUSA.org
    LM:NAHC

Posted 10 July 2010 - 07:55 PM

Shooting carp with a bow is a blast.. i Was up at big bear with one of my hunting friends we shot about 100 carp from 8am to 4pm.. I have some photos of some of them I'll have to post when I down load my kodak just need to pick up a new U8 cable
Sportyg;Founder:HHHwww.hhh-usa.orgLM:NAHCMbr:TRCP

#18 Alex.Pol

Alex.Pol

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 12:55 PM

try this resipe for carp is probably the best thing you can use. take some cornmeal in a sauce pan and put enough water just to cover it just a little than put it on your stove and make sure to stir it the whole time and dont let it burn. than take some creamy peanut butter and mix it all together it makes really sticky tuff dough it stays well on your hook and carp go crazy for it.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. -Benjamin Franklin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users