• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Redneckshooter

Redneckshooter

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • Interests:Shooting/Hunting, Outdoor activities, gaming, and saltwater aquariums.

Posted 30 June 2010 - 06:18 PM

Hello everyone,I am currently having a custom Grendel built and have a few remaining parts I need.I would like some recommendations on a premium trigger. I have been looking at a few different brand triggers and am unsure about the whole single/dual stage trigger thing. I have no experience with a dual stage trigger and am a little hesitant to go that route. Ideally I am thinking of something in the 3-4Lb range.The gun will almost entirely be used for hunting and not competition shooting. My budget is under $300 (trigger) but would like to stay around $200 if possible.I also need a quality optics mount and am not sure whether to go with a single unit or just use standard rings. Also I would appreciate any recommendations on brands.I was leaning toward a single unit LaRue mount but just am unsure. I will be using a Nikon Monarch 4-16X42mm.Thanks in advance for any comments/opinions!

#2 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts
  • Interests:God, family & country. Predator hunting, shooting, reloading.

Posted 30 June 2010 - 08:00 PM

I would purchase the Rock River Arms Scout Rail and that will lift your scope up a little. The Hawke medium tactical rings are a great buy too. Here is a photo of my Grendel with the RRA rail.Posted ImageI have the Timney triggers in both of my AR chassis rifles and I am very pleased with them. Good luck with your new baby.
"Never hold discussions with the monkey when the organ grinder is in the room." Winston Churchill

#3 Redneckshooter

Redneckshooter

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • Interests:Shooting/Hunting, Outdoor activities, gaming, and saltwater aquariums.

Posted 30 June 2010 - 08:33 PM

Will definitely look into the RRA Scout Rail. Do you prefer the 3lb or 4lb Timney triggers?

#4 Bronco

Bronco

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,123 posts
  • Interests:Hunting i.e. deer, varmints, yotes. Target Shooting, Trap Shooting.

Posted 01 July 2010 - 06:13 AM

Timney drop in is the way to go. For hunting I think the 4 lb would be best and for comp the 3 lb would is the way to go. However since you are planning to use it for both I think I would suggest the 4 lb unit. Just my two cents.Bob
Posted ImagePosted ImageNRA Member

#5 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts
  • Interests:God, family & country. Predator hunting, shooting, reloading.

Posted 01 July 2010 - 06:42 AM

Will definitely look into the RRA Scout Rail. Do you prefer the 3lb or 4lb Timney triggers?

I am a light trigger guy and I prefer the 3-lb. It works well for me because my finger is not in the trigger guard until I am ready to touch a round off.
"Never hold discussions with the monkey when the organ grinder is in the room." Winston Churchill

#6 fakawee

fakawee

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts
  • Interests:4Wheeling, Hunting, Target Shooting, Fishing, Camping, Kayaking and Glassing the countryside.

Posted 01 July 2010 - 07:50 PM

+1 on the 3lb trigger! I like em lite!
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. Mark Twain

#7 StoneTower

StoneTower

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts
  • Interests:Pulling the trigger and setting the hook!!!

Posted 02 July 2010 - 07:05 PM

The Timney triggers are very nice. They make 3 and 4 pound triggers. They make a 4 pound trigger made for an ar10 which has a bigger hammer. If you are going to shoot fire formed brass in the Grendel with large primers you may want to look at the larger hammer. The Grendel does "push" more than a .223 so the extra pound could be a margin of safety. I added the first Timney to my AR10 and to keep everything the same, I put the 4 pound AR10 trigger in my Grendel and other toys. I had a 3 pound in the AR10 and if you did not pull firmly back, it would bump. The trigger went back to Timney and I got the AR10 version and all is well.For the scope, get a one piece mount. more parts and pieces attached to each other are not a good thing when you are talking scope mount. I have several GG&G mounds (very nice) and I used to have a LaRue (which I sold and purchased a GG&G). The Larue is great, but it has a camming action on the quick release and I did not want my AR10 upper receivers to be marked by the steel cam. The GG&G uses a clamping action and does not mark the receiver if you remove and replace it a few times.Cheers,David

#8 Redneckshooter

Redneckshooter

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 11:10 AM

I had a quick question regarding a two stage trigger. Say for example you have a 4 lb total trigger 1st stage = 2 lbs and the 2nd stage = 2 lbs. When the 2nd stage breaks are you pulling a total of 4 lbs, or are you just pulling 2 lbs?

#9 du9207

du9207

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 12:50 AM

that's up redneck another madera member :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow:(currently living in madera)
Live Free or Die Hardxicanonaztlanca

#10 tenpercentfirearms

tenpercentfirearms

Plinker

• Advertiser
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
  • Interests:Jesus, guns, and Geocaching.

Posted 12 July 2010 - 06:58 AM

I had a quick question regarding a two stage trigger. Say for example you have a 4 lb total trigger 1st stage = 2 lbs and the 2nd stage = 2 lbs. When the 2nd stage breaks are you pulling a total of 4 lbs, or are you just pulling 2 lbs?

So you would be breaking two pounds. The first stage's slack would be two lbs and the final break on the second stage would be two pounds. If you do a RRA Scout Rail, then don't go any higher than low rings. That is what I used to have on my set ups. Now for simplicities sake I am going to the Burris PEPR mounts. The only problem is I can't find them wholesale anywhere! I just put a Burris Black Diamond 4-16x50mm 30mm tube with Ballistic Plex on my 24" Sabre Defense Grendel. It is entirely too hot to go shoot it yet. Also the way the AR15 was designed, you are going to have tons of space between the barrel and the scope, so I would go the biggest objective you can find. I decided to upgrade from a Nikon 4.5-14x40 Buckmaster because there is no point in not having the extra objective up there when you have anywhere from .25 to .5 inches between the scope and the barrel. Now you can't really get your rings any lower and be happy because then you are going to have to smash your face into the stock, which is not fun. AR rings have to be up there a ways and with the RRA Scout Rail raising the height, low is as high as you need.
Posted ImageTen Percent FirearmsFor all of your black rifle needs - or contact us by email.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users