#1 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,395 posts
  • Interests:Bass fishing,Kayaking,Airgun hunting

Posted 29 June 2010 - 07:29 AM

After 3 years,I decided to refinish the stock. I never liked the factory finish,which 'hid' the grain and had to much of a glossy look.I stripped the factory finish using steel wool,then lightly sanded the stock. I used Formby's Tung Oil and rubbed in several coats to get finish I prefer...more of a 'subtle' non-glossy finish..with more grain showing..Pic of stock before re-finish..Posted ImageStock after finishing with Formby's Tung Oil...Posted Image

#2 Rimrock

Rimrock

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,310 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 08:06 AM

That is a good looking job. Much more professional looking than the factory one. :signs1242cn:

#3 havoc

havoc

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Interests:small game hunting, hiking, mountain biking, amateur radio

Posted 29 June 2010 - 11:02 AM

Nice job, it looks good i love my disco but the stock leaves much to be desired.

#4 A17Shooter

A17Shooter

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,788 posts
  • Interests:Varmint Hunting, Rifles, Hunting Pistols, Long Range, Computers, Cameras

Posted 04 July 2010 - 08:02 AM

crazyhorse,Your refinish definitely looks better than the factory original.Might have to try that with my marauder. Remove those laser scratches and the BENJAMIN then sand it all down and break out the checkering tools for some simple 16 line checkering. Maybe a little epoxy bedding. Hey, while I'm daydreaming here this all seems easy and fun. :roflmao3[1]:

Guns only have three enemies, Politicians, Ignorant Liberals and Rust.

"A pen in the hand of this president is far more dangerous than a gun in the hands of 200 million law-abiding citizens."

#5 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,395 posts
  • Interests:Bass fishing,Kayaking,Airgun hunting

Posted 04 July 2010 - 09:09 AM

it was easy..just take your time..the factory finish was darker,more glossy that I like..I first tried this on my 1975 Sheridan stock...it came out great...If you use Formby's like I did, just rub it in using about 3-4 coats with a clean rag as applicator....then let stock set to dry for about 12 hours..one thing I like is it is very easy to maintain..any new scratches can be fixed easy..Here is my Sheridan after refinishing...Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users