#1 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,393 posts
  • Interests:Bass fishing,Kayaking,Airgun hunting

Posted 28 June 2010 - 07:52 AM

Yesterday I traded my Beeman R9 Double Gold .22 for a friends custom Beeman R9 .20 Cal fitted with a full barrel shroud. The barrel is a custom tuned barrel slightly shorter than the R9 standard barrel.For info,this R9 .20 chronographs at 736 FPS using Beeman FTS 11.2 GR and shoots Benjamin Cylindrical 14.3 GR at 630 FPS. The Benjamin 14.3 pellets will be good for hunting squirrels out to 50 yards.I originally wanted a R9 .20 Cal but they were out of stock when I purchased the .22 about two years ago.I fit my Beeman 4-12x40 scope and did a quick sight in at 25 yards...i managed to get a 5 shot group of .625" after adjusting scope. With more practice,i'm certain I can get groups under .50"...The spring and trigger are stock R9...only the barrel/shroud are custom parts and stock screws have cups.Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImageLast five shots(after sight-in at 25 yards).Posted ImageTook these shots at 50 yards in the wind. Wind was at 6 mph from left to right.I just used holdover with duplex reticle...this R9 .20 cal has less drop at 50 yards compared to my R9 .22...Posted ImageFit of shroud at breech.Posted ImageThis is my R9 .22 I traded for the R9 .20 Cal...Posted Image

#2 Camoghost

Camoghost

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 08:35 AM

AHH ha! I love my R9 Gold Finger! I was looking for my first adult air gun and Shooter John helped me out and recommended this shooter to me. I shoot JSB Diablo's out of it and it pulls sub 1/4 inch @ 40 yards (I don't have the range to shoot further). I shoot my R9 a few times a week at pesky starlings, English sparrows and rats! I very rarely miss with the R9.. I can shoot peanut M&M's at 30 yards without missing a single one. Not sure what can be done to improve this guns "out of the box" accuracy.. Nice gun!! I really like the .20cal!!

#3 ratassassin

ratassassin

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,642 posts
  • Interests:Handloading, hunting, target shooting.

Posted 28 June 2010 - 08:48 AM

Beautiful rifle, CrazyHorse. Should be a real shooter. That barrel shroud especially looks cool. I need to put screw cups on my R9 Goldfinger .177. Any idea where I can get some? Maybe I'll check with Tim at Mac1. My R9 is my absolute favorite air rifle for hunting varmints. Consistently accurate for spotting, stalking and shooting offhand, and it's got the perfect balance and weight for my build and style of shooting. Plus, I like a breakbarrel more than an underlever for cocking and decocking quickly, as shot opportunities appear or disappear. And the Rekord trigger is superb. Great gun.

#4 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 09:09 AM

Tim at MAC 1 is an excellant source for the screw cups...For a medium power springer, I'm convinced the Beeman R9 .20 cal is the better choice over the .22 cal.....interesting is that the FTS/Benjamin pellet muzzle energies work out about the same at 13 FT/Lbs....and the FTS result in flatter trajectory over that of the .22 cal,but still pack a punch to drop squirrels...the heavier Benjamins will work better in the wind.I have some JSB 13.7 GR Diabolo pellets I'll be trying out,but the FTS and Benjamins work very well. I just need to get more trigger time on this .20 Cal as I rarely used my R9 .22 except for some cottontail hunting.

#5 VarmintAir

VarmintAir

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 09:16 AM

The .20 cal R9's are really sweet shooters. I guess I've had mine now for 4 or 5 years. If the day ever comes where I can only have one airgun, the one I keep will be the .20 R9. Enjoy the heck out of that beauty.
VarmintAir WebsiteAirgun Hunting the California Ground SquirrelVarmintAir's Airgun Hunting BlogDevoted to the sport of responsible varmint and small game hunting with Modern Adult Airguns

#6 A17Shooter

A17Shooter

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,785 posts
  • Interests:Varmint Hunting, Rifles, Hunting Pistols, Long Range, Computers, Cameras

Posted 28 June 2010 - 09:33 PM

You'd dump the 25 Marauder and keep the 20 R9??Just checking to see if I read this correctly. :signs1242cn:

Guns only have three enemies, Politicians, Ignorant Liberals and Rust.

"A pen in the hand of this president is far more dangerous than a gun in the hands of 200 million law-abiding citizens."

#7 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,295 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 29 June 2010 - 06:22 AM

Very nice gun Rich. That shroud makes for a nice look and .20cal is probably the best caliber for that gun.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#8 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 07:21 AM

I'm very pleased with it. I'll definately be shooting it more than I did with my R9 .22....This is the first R9 I've seen with a full barrel shroud.It does quiet things down a little bit,but the 'spring' twang' is still there. The nitro piston guns with a shroud have more of a dull twaak sound in comparison...but about same in decibel level..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users