22 replies to this topic

#1 homemade

homemade

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 09:24 PM

Ok im looking to get a soda blaster either harbor freight or from eastwoods.Does anyone here have one and I want to use it with my home compressor its the crafstman professional 25 gallon model so the web sights say you can use theirs with your home compressor but im not sure it will work very well so im just asking here.

#2 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,814 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 26 June 2010 - 09:57 PM

What is it?

#3 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts
  • Interests:God, family & country. Predator hunting, shooting, reloading.

Posted 27 June 2010 - 06:46 AM

Soda BlasterIt is like a sand blaster but not as aggressive. It uses baking soda as a medium.

#4 Braz

Braz

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,814 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 27 June 2010 - 07:44 AM

Thanks for the link Red, that's really cool.

#5 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,656 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 27 June 2010 - 07:46 AM

I don't think you'll be happy with the results. Your compressor probably won't have enough true CFM of air at the required pressure to work the blaster effectively. To work any blasting device it's all about cubic feet a minute of air per minute. Most homeowner type of air compressors are single stage and are over rated by the manufactures to make them appear larger capacity than they really are. I used to have to gang two 25+ gallon compressors together to make my old sand blaster work effectively. I finally bought a commercial air unit that produces 17.6 CFM @ 175 PSI.Your Craftsman model only puts out 5.1 to 5.8 SCFM (Standard Cubic Feet per Minute) delivery at 90 psi. So I would say it isn't big enough.

#6 Old timer

Old timer

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts
  • Interests:Hunting (all types) fishing and reading all the posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 07:47 AM

Red it should work just fine

#7 bzzrd feedr

bzzrd feedr

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,641 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Shooting, Fishing, Snow Skiing and RV'ing.

Posted 27 June 2010 - 12:16 PM

SJ is right. Short on air with that Craftsman compressor and that soda blaster on the link. Definitely need to oversize the compressor if you want good results with the blaster. Otherwise it will not have the power to clean up the metal or whatever you are trying to blast. The 8CFM @ 90 PSI is a minimum required, more is better. Been around sand blasting with my business for 35+ years, trust me on this one.

#8 homemade

homemade

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 11:21 PM

Thats what I figured I really didnt want to upgrade my compresor yet since this would be the only reason.I will have to look at other methods i guess.

#9 bzzrd feedr

bzzrd feedr

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,641 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Shooting, Fishing, Snow Skiing and RV'ing.

Posted 28 June 2010 - 07:51 AM

I don't know what you are trying to blast but there are bead blasters and other blasters which would use less air. Smaller nozzle diameter equals less air required but also causes nozzle to plug more easily.

#10 handgun

handgun

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • Interests:Guns and Dogs

Posted 28 June 2010 - 02:26 PM

ShooterJohn...is your real name Bill Watenberg, aka "The Smartest Man in The World"? If you don't know him he was on KGO in the Bay Area for years, may still be. Anyway he seams alot like you sir, very knowledgable about a whole lot of subjects. I wish I was half as smart!!

#11 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,656 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 04:17 PM

No that isn't me but thanks for the kind words. We have many more start people on the forum. That's what makes this a great place.

#12 Braz

Braz

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,814 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 06:17 PM

No that isn't me but thanks for the kind words. We have many more start people on the forum. That's what makes this a great place.

I'm not sure I ever met a "start" person. What are they like? :D

#13 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,656 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 09:13 PM

It was a long day putting up 375 feet of chain link fencing. I thought I hired people to do this but I seemed to have done more than my fair share. I guess I was a bit tired when I typed that. :signs1242cn:

#14 homemade

homemade

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 04:32 PM

I have a hotrod im working on and i will be starting by blasting the engine bay repainting it then putting the new motor in then move onto other parts of the car.

#15 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts
  • Interests:God, family & country. Predator hunting, shooting, reloading.

Posted 29 June 2010 - 04:57 PM

I don't think a soda blaster will do the job for you. You're gonna need something a bit more aggressive. Just my 2-cents.

#16 dirtgimp

dirtgimp

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 05:29 PM

soda will work just fine for what your talking about.here in bako there's a business that soda blasting is all they do.i've taken several things to them over the years and it always comes out good.

#17 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
  • Interests:Hunting....Predators, Varmints and Upland Game but would like to try larger game.
    Computers....It's what i do for a living and sometimes for fun.
    Movies
    Spending time with the Family

Posted 30 June 2010 - 10:13 AM

I have the Homedpot version of this CompressorThis is the BARE MINIMUM to do blasting with. I have a Harbor Freight Media blaster and I use the HF glass beads. I have blasted most of my suspension parts for my 57 Chevy and it worked kinda OK. The compressor pretty much constantly runs which can burn up your compressor quick. I would basically blast for a few minutes then let the compressor rest for like 10-15 minutes then get back to blasting for a bit. If I had to do it over again, I would spend double (probably around $800-900) and get a 2-stage compressor that puts out MORE CFM at 90 psi.I got my compressor used for $200 (retails for $500) so I am happy with it. Works great for just about everything else, but blasting is pretty much the highest CFM hog out there.

#18 homemade

homemade

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 07:04 PM

Well I think im gonna buy a new compressor.needs to be 60-80 gallon and 2 stage i think will last longer iron pump and at least 5 H.P. 230 single phaseupright tankSo now I start looking.Found this one I like http://www.northernt...65171_200365171

#19 Stan

Stan

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 846 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 09:10 PM

Look on Craigs list a lot of shops closing there doors and good deals to be had You might like this link to search more citys at a timehttp://www.searchtempest.com/Dodnt forget speed airStanLike this oneAir Compressor 60 gal - $350 (Fresno)________________________________________Date: 2010-06-10, 1:53PM PDTReply to: sale-hksrx-1785463139@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]________________________________________Sanborn 60 gallon comercial grade aircompressor for sale. uses 220, great condition. Works great. Been in a garage its whole life. please email or call me if interested if interested. 559-225-6448 please leave a message and I will call you back

#20 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
  • Interests:Hunting....Predators, Varmints and Upland Game but would like to try larger game.
    Computers....It's what i do for a living and sometimes for fun.
    Movies
    Spending time with the Family

Posted 08 July 2010 - 12:17 PM

Well I think im gonna buy a new compressor.needs to be 60-80 gallon and 2 stage i think will last longer iron pump and at least 5 H.P. 230 single phaseupright tankSo now I start looking.Found this one I like http://www.northernt...65171_200365171

Yep, that one looks like it will put out enough CFM to do what you need.Also, shopping for used is a good idea. I got mine for about a third the price of new.

#21 homemade

homemade

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 05:02 PM

Well I found a used one a sanborn 60 gal mod 240 single phase had to change the pressure switch and have a borrowed motor until i can find another.Trying to research the model but cant find anything for it yet so i have some idea of what cfm it is.

#22 JimT.

JimT.

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 08:13 PM

This is all new to me.

#23 homemade

homemade

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 05:17 PM

well this is what i knowSanborn 60 gall tank going to put a 3 hp motor on it but it will handle a 5Its a 165h pump so far I need to make a breather assembly for it and then its ready to go.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users