7 replies to this topic

#1 Dan

Dan

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 09:00 AM

I bought a new Ruger 77/17-RM yesterday & it will be my first .17 HMR. I will be using it as a "walk around" gun for ground squirrels and rabbits. I have a Leupold VX-I, 4-12x40 without a home, so I was hoping to put it on the new Ruger, but I need to make sure that it's a good match first. Here's some things I'm considering: What is the (practical) max range of this round?From what I've read, hits can be made pretty far out, but the rounds won't expand well much past 200 yards. Is this true? I'm planning on using the Hornady V-Max rounds, assuming they give me decent groupings. Do most people find that 4x is too much magnification in terms of fast target aquisition? I'm originally from the midwest, where we hunt prairie dogs from shooting tables. They are FAR away and target aquisition isn't an issue, so I'm rather inexperienced in this area.How big of a critter can I plug with this thing? My other "walk around" gun is a .22 WMR, so that could be used as a comparison. Would something the size of raccoon or a fox be out of the question? I realize that the explosive effects will not be the same on a critter that size, but will it kill it fairly quickly, assuming the shot placement is decent?Thanks for the help. I just don't trust the writers in the gun magazines, as they have been less than reliable in the past! I know many of you use this round, so hopefully you'l be able to give me some practical knowledge that is applicable to hunting in CA.

#2 Fjold

Fjold

Traveling hitman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,791 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, hunting and fishing.

Posted 05 September 2006 - 09:24 AM

I have a 4x12 on my 17HMR and it works great. I like the 12x for ground squirrels out to 200 yards and I wouldn't have any problem taking any small game with it. I might even go up to Coyote size if it was less than 100 yards.
Frank
One rifle, one planet. Holland's 375
Posted Image

#3 RLS

RLS

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 11:03 AM

I have been looking at the Mueller 4.5 X 14 X 40 APV. Any opinions?I am not sure of the reticule.

#4 Dan

Dan

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 11:15 AM

Good! I can use what I have & I don't have to shell out any more cash. Coyote sized game, huh? It's nice to know that it would work in a pinch. Now I just need to find something to do for 10 days.........

#5 Rimrock

Rimrock

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,286 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 11:43 AM

Dan, that 4X12 will work just fine on the HMR. If it has fine crosshairs, so much the better. I have a 12X Leupold on mine, but if I ever change it I will go with a variable power. Something like 6X18. I would not hesitate to use it on raccoon and fox sized animals but prefer something bigger for coyotes. They are tough animals. Keep in mind that if you are sighted in at 100 yards your 17 gr. bullet will drop something like 8 inches at 200. The energy of the bullet will drop porportionatly.You will like this round for what it is intended for. Good luck and let us know.

#6 Stiff Neck

Stiff Neck

Big Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 07:45 PM

I also have a 4-12x40 magnification scope on my 17HMR, although I wish I had more power for target shooting. It's about perfect for the type of hunting your describe.

#7 Dan

Dan

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 09:43 PM

Thanks for the great information fellas. Sounds like I'll use the glass that I already have. I'll have to revive this thread with images once I get the gun and break in the barrell!

#8 Fjold

Fjold

Traveling hitman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,791 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, hunting and fishing.

Posted 06 September 2006 - 05:58 AM

Here's my 17 (Savage 93) next to my CZ452 (22lr), I'm a lefty.Posted Image
Frank
One rifle, one planet. Holland's 375
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users