• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 24 June 2010 - 08:05 PM

I'm a sucker for vintage Ithaca side by sides and while surfing the net the other day I found this one and pulled the trigger(s). It's hard to find dealers that aren't trying to sell a solid New Ithaca Double model for under a grand and this one had the features I was looking for. Cocking indicators, 28 inch barrels, choked modified and full. The neat part is that this gun has never left the state of New York. That's where it was built and that's where it has stayed. I wont know what year it was made until I get the serial number but since it has the cocking indicators it had to be somewhere between 1925 and 1935. I don't know what grade it is either but the fluer d' lis checkering pattern on the wrist makes me thing it isn't just a field grade gun but even if it is I'm still a happy camper. I really wanted to wait until the gun was in my hands before I posted about it but I just couldn't wait. I will post pics when I get it home.http://www.gunsinter...un_id=100099317Posted Image

#2 Rimrock

Rimrock

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,377 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 08:10 PM

That looks great, Matt. Look out crows!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#3 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 24 June 2010 - 08:22 PM

Thanks Rod, just don't say that out loud. The crow gods might hear you and help push this state to be totally lead free. Then I'll have to buy hevi shot for the ol' girl and spend three dollars for every shot at those damn birds. ;)

#4 JRW

JRW

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 10:44 PM

Congrats! looks Very nice. :g-hog-poppin-up-ani:

#5 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,841 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 27 June 2010 - 08:46 PM

Thats a great looking crow buster. And a good deal . She's is purdy.

#6 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,357 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 12:36 PM

Nice old double. Your going to need a bigger gun safe clamp.

#7 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 02:59 PM

My check cleared today so hopefully the gun will be here friday or early next week. :signs1242cn: I can't wait til dove season.

#8 HOG

HOG

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 03:29 PM

Is it in gun jail? I have an Ithaca SBS 20 ga. I use for dove and have used it on ducks. It was full and modified but had it bored out to mod. and improved cyl. My BSS has had a gillion rounds through it.. Is this your 1st SBS?Nice to have the double triggers on yours. Bought mine somewhere around 1975 for my x to hunt with.

#9 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 08:06 PM

It hasn't even made it to jail yet. :rolleyes: Once it gets to Ca I'll have to start the 10 day wait. Which model is your Ithaca? My first gun was a sxs Stevens 311A 20 ga., a few years back I bought a sxs Flues model Ithaca 12 ga., this one will be my third, and eventually I want to get a sxs that is proofed for steel shot.

#10 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,683 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 29 June 2010 - 09:13 PM

She's a beauty Matt. :rolleyes:

#11 zippy1970

zippy1970

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 01:07 PM

Dung Dang ! you don't have got it yet ? did you get to dros it ??? see it ? check out the actual model , grade it might be ? She is Bootifull though . I would love to get a sxs in 20 to round out the o/u & semi . Can't have a pump . Tennis elbow . Hog : Are you saying that Browning made the BSS in 20 ,too ? I saw one in 12 for 700.00 ( great cond ) . I did not know about them and after I found out , it was gone : ( But that 20 must be nice . Andy

#12 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 02:02 PM

Looks like my gun got taken off the display list at guns international. I went and posted one pic that I'd moved to my photobucket album. I have another good one set as my screen saver but I can't figure out how to get it to photobucket.

#13 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,357 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 03:09 PM

those old doubles are so cool.I remember as a kid watching those hunting shows as men walked a pheasant field with the doubles.

#14 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 03:32 PM

When I was a kid and I graduated from my double barreled 20 ga to a 12ga 870 my dad shook his head and said "Matthew, a pheasant deserves better than to be killed by a pump". :welcomeani:

#15 TonyS

TonyS

Dog's driver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 845 posts
  • Interests:Birds, deer, predators

Posted 07 July 2010 - 05:58 AM

That is a very nice gun. I'm sure you will love carrying it in the field. I have a sxs 20 ga. Western Long Range that I really enjoy.Now, where are those quail?

#16 Baja_Traveler

Baja_Traveler

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 665 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 06:19 AM

Gotta love a classic side by side. I sure do love hunting with my old Fox Sterlingworth 16 ga.

#17 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 06:53 PM

......I have a sxs 20 ga. Western Long Range that I really enjoy.

Cool. Those were made by Ithaca.

.......I sure do love hunting with my old Fox Sterlingworth 16 ga.

:doh[1]: I'm drooling over here! :lol: To my eye the Fox Sterlingworth is one of the best looking American side by sides ever built. That will probably be the next vintage double I look for. The way things are going in this state we'll probably get stuck paying $30 for ten rounds of hevi-shot if we want to do any hunting with our old guns.My gun showed up today so I snapped a couple picks while I was filling out my paperwork at the gunshop.Posted Image Posted Image

#18 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,683 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 07 July 2010 - 07:47 PM

That's a beauty Matt! :doh[1]:

#19 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 06:33 PM

Thanks SJ. This gun is just photogenic. There are little pin head sized rust spots on the top of the receiver but for some reason they don't show up on the pics. No biggy though, you gotta expect an 84 year old gun to show some "character".It would sure be nice if we could still make affordable, good quality, double guns here in America. Side by side lovers really only have two choices when buying a new gun now, cheapo junkers made in south america, russia, or super high dollar beauties from Italy, Spain, or England. Turkey has been putting out some nice looking doubles but they have been prone to various mechanical failures and they haven't figured out how to put choke tubes in the end of the barrel without putting a big bulge in the first few inches of the muzzle.

#20 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 05:57 PM

Awww geez, I went and did it again! :) http://www.gunbroker...?Item=183212279

#21 Rimrock

Rimrock

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,377 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 06:21 PM

C'mon, Matt. Surely you have more will power than that. But, it's nice.

#22 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,814 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 10 August 2010 - 06:25 PM

That sure is a purdy one!

#23 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 06:35 PM

C'mon, Matt. Surely you have more will power than that. But, it's nice.

Well, the last one I bought turned out to be a 30 incher instead of 28 inches as it was advertized but I didn't catch it until the three day inspection period was over. Plus I got a better deal on this one. I'll probably end up selling the 30 incher or maybe shortening it to 26 inches and have choke tubes installed.

#24 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,841 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 10 August 2010 - 08:13 PM

Matt thats alright its better than looking at girly pictures. She's pretty.

#25 CoyoteHuntress

CoyoteHuntress

Royal Oaks Taxidermy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts
  • Interests:Im a full time taxidermist and I LOVE Hunting- coyotes, bobcat, bear, boar, elk, deer etc..

Posted 11 August 2010 - 09:24 AM

LMAO now that is funny.... IM reading along and wham Aww geez I did it again LOL... Keep it up your gonna need a new gun safe :harhar1[1]: They sure are pretty!!

#26 handgun

handgun

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • Interests:Guns and Dogs

Posted 11 August 2010 - 05:51 PM

Clamp, are those fluid steel barrels, Ever thought of having the REAL thing?...Damascus!!!! :signs653wf: Either way you got yourself a couple good looking boom sticks!!Posted Image

#27 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 08:51 PM

Clamp, are those fluid steel barrels, Ever thought of having the REAL thing?...Damascus!!!! B)

I was actually saving up so I could make an offer on your L.C. when I ran across this one. I saw that the other two guys that were bidding on it were dealers so I knew I just had to set my max price high enough that they would move on to easier pickin's because their resale profit margin wouldn't be as good. B) The price for me, the final buyer, was great but it was just a little to high for a dealer to make an easy couple hundred bucks on a quick turnaround.

#28 handgun

handgun

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • Interests:Guns and Dogs

Posted 12 August 2010 - 11:03 AM

I am keeping "Elsie" safe and sound for you, when you are ready!

#29 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 02:39 PM

Don't wait for me. With dove, duck, pheasant, and deer seasons coming up I'm gonna be broke for quite a while and probably be in debt for a while after that. :) If you find another buyer, get money!

#30 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts
  • Interests:God, family & country. Predator hunting, shooting, reloading.

Posted 13 August 2010 - 05:14 PM

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :) :) sweeeeeeeet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users