19 replies to this topic

#1 BullsEye

BullsEye

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 04:49 PM

http://www.msnbc.msn...post/?gt1=43001After a two-hour struggle with the gigantic fish off North Carolina's Outer Banks, Alexandria resident Peter Wann pulled with all his strength and the creature emerged from the ocean depths.He and his four sport fishing teammates could finally see what they had been struggling against an 883-pound blue marlin spanning 137 inches, the biggest fish any of them had ever seen."My eyes were wide," Wann said of the June 14 catch. "Once it got up, everybody started freaking out, saying, 'Holy smokes!' Everybody was so excited." ...Those guys are not happy thats for sure.

#2 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,678 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 24 June 2010 - 05:40 PM

That doesn't seem fair but rules are rules. The kid just worked on the boat.

#3 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,839 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 24 June 2010 - 08:17 PM

I think its real fair , he was fishing with out a license. He helped in landing the fish.

#4 Dannyboy

Dannyboy

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 08:50 PM

Yep, you have to get a license every year. Everyone knows that.

#5 .22guy

.22guy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 955 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 09:35 PM

They should have just thrown his a$$ overboard. Problem solved!

#6 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,839 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 25 June 2010 - 12:07 AM

Ditto :drool:

#7 MikeNC

MikeNC

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 02:43 AM

Looks like that dude might be the cut bait on the next trip. He ain't no kin either

#8 BC9696

BC9696

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 09:13 AM

"Confident that no other competitor would come close, they imagined divvying up the money." Imagination...it's a good thing. :drool:

#9 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 25 June 2010 - 10:24 AM

I wonder if what this kid says is true, "But he also said the owners and the captain who were paying him $500 a week before taxes never told him that he needed a valid fishing license to be part of the team". If so, I can't see why everyone is coming down so hard on the guy. Seems to me like the Captain of the ship should be responsible for all this. Sorry to say but with empowerment comes big responsibility. I wouldn't expect a temp deckhand to know all the rules but I WOULD expect the Captain to!

#10 zippy1970

zippy1970

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 10:27 AM

That sucks ass ! I have to say that I am an A** about anyone fishing / hunting with me that they have a license with them . Otherwise I don't want to be around them . They still caught a fish of a life time . And , to me , the article mentions the lie detector results being " off" . That makes it sound like they were trying to hide the fact . And rules be rules . I could swear there was a fishing tourny that required all boats to carry a banana or a bunch of banans on board to be in the contest . Being that alot of fisherman think bananas on a boat is bad luck and all thats a funny requirement . Andy

#11 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,678 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 11:00 AM

I wonder if what this kid says is true, "But he also said the owners and the captain — who were paying him $500 a week before taxes — never told him that he needed a valid fishing license to be part of the team". If so, I can't see why everyone is coming down so hard on the guy. Seems to me like the Captain of the ship should be responsible for all this. Sorry to say but with empowerment comes big responsibility. I wouldn't expect a temp deckhand to know all the rules but I WOULD expect the Captain to!

I feel the same way! The kid just works on the boat he isn't catching the fish, he's just a deckhand. The tournament fisherman need the licenses. I'll bet a third of the deckhands on deep sea outings don't have licenses. It's a stupid clause and it was the Captains responsibility to be sure his boat met the requirements of the tournament. He is supposed to know the rules and make sure everything is ship shape not some lowly deckhand. :drool:

#12 BullsEye

BullsEye

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 02:58 PM

I think it comes down to the captain making sure his crew is in tip top shape. Its a shame but it happened.

#13 jawbreaker

jawbreaker

Big Shooter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,950 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 07:58 PM

I'm not sure but I think the law is that if you help with the catch in any way you need to have a license. I have never been on a boat without a deckhand chumming ,gaffing of handling some part of the fishing in anyway.

#14 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,678 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 08:16 PM

I'm not sure but I think the law is that if you help with the catch in any way you need to have a license.

I guess the captain should know something like that, wouldn't you think? :g-hog-poppin-up-ani:

#15 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 25 June 2010 - 08:55 PM

I'm not sure but I think the law is that if you help with the catch in any way you need to have a license. I have never been on a boat without a deckhand chumming ,gaffing of handling some part of the fishing in anyway.

I myself would never have guessed a deckhand needed a fishing license. Do processing plant employees need a hunting license to kill cows before they slaughter them. It's not done for recreation, it's done as part of a job.The gaffing part I can maybe see as part of actually catching it, maybe. I don't see it as any different than someone w/o a license tossing you a bird you already shot but was not dead and can't fly away. He didn't shoot it or kill it, they just tossed it to you. I work for an insurance repair company. As the general contractor on a job, it is up to us to make sure our license and certs, our employees licenses and certs, and our vendors licenses and certs are always up to date and current. Period. You're in charge, YOU make sure.

#16 BullsEye

BullsEye

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 03:14 PM

Thats the law in California but not necessarily in other states.

#17 jawbreaker

jawbreaker

Big Shooter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,950 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 05:19 PM

Thats the law in California but not necessarily in other states.

Very true.

#18 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,357 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 08:24 PM

So if you are dragging a buck to your truck and some guy stops and give you a hand loading it in your truck bed and a warden stops by.He checks for hunting license and the guy that stops to help don't have one isn't that the same thing. Then the buck should be confiscated for being poached.

#19 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,357 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 08:26 PM

I myself would never have guessed a deckhand needed a fishing license. Do processing plant employees need a hunting license to kill cows before they slaughter them. It's not done for recreation, it's done as part of a job.

Cows are not a game animal :doh[1]:

#20 zaper1022

zaper1022

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 10:31 AM

Heard about this. to bad

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users