• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#31 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,807 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 30 June 2010 - 08:09 PM

For what it's worth, I've heard a few rabbits and their screaming after being shot. I sure wouldn't call it soft or moderate. I disagree that you can scare a coyote away by calling too loud.

#32 BC9696

BC9696

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 11:08 PM

I use an FX5 because I move too much with hand calls and have zero confidence in my calling now. Been a brutal year. Starting to think yotes are extinct. I'm not hunting yotes right now so perhaps someone can educate me with howling sounds. Perhaps link to locator, challenge, etc digi calls so I can start distinguishing em?

#33 Rich Cronk

Rich Cronk

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
  • Interests:Calling predators and building predator calls

Posted 01 July 2010 - 05:38 AM

I use an FX5 because I move too much with hand calls and have zero confidence in my calling now. Been a brutal year. Starting to think yotes are extinct. I'm not hunting yotes right now so perhaps someone can educate me with howling sounds. Perhaps link to locator, challenge, etc digi calls so I can start distinguishing em?

--------------------------------------------------------------Most of the labels you see concerning coyote language are not actually correct. No human knows what each and every coyote yip or howl actually means. Most of the time, it is wise to use non aggressive sounding howls so as not to spook the younger coyotes. It is important to keep it natural, which means no more than one or three lonesome sounding howls to begin a stand, and then go silent for several minutes. It is also important to realize that coyotes often come to your howls in silence. Lack of a vocal response is not an indication that the coyote isn't coming in. If no customers after several minutes, you can howl again. After second period of silence, I like to go to puppy squeals.The file manager is not allowing me to upload sound for some reason, so I will try again later.BC,If you E mail me at cronkcalls@cox.net I will send you some sounds to use when howling up coyotes.

#34 ratassassin

ratassassin

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,697 posts
  • Interests:Handloading, hunting, target shooting.

Posted 01 July 2010 - 06:21 AM

For what it's worth, I've heard a few rabbits and their screaming after being shot. I sure wouldn't call it soft or moderate. I disagree that you can scare a coyote away by calling too loud.

+1. Although I haven't hunted coyotes yet, I've heard several rabbits scream after being shot. Some screamed for a short period, maybe 3-5 seconds before they passed on. But a few have screamed for a good 15 seconds or more and they were surprisingly loud. You could easily hear the cries from 100 yards away and probably more. It was kind of disturbing actually, and I didn't like hearing it. But one thing's for sure: it wasn't subtle.

#35 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts
  • Interests:God, family & country. Predator hunting, shooting, reloading.

Posted 01 July 2010 - 06:37 AM

I'll bet the bunnies scream really loud if you put their nuts in a vice too :fireworks3: , however I don't see how rabbits screaming after being shot and the associated amplitude, is relevant to any statement I made previously. In my personal opinion, to attract predators, it's not necessary to specifically sound like any particular animal (although it would seem beneficial if the call mimicked a local food source). As you know, predators come to the call for a variety of reasons. Hunger, instinct, curiosity, territorial, etc., and although there are general, seasonal guidelines for some responses, most of the time it's a roll of the dice. Since, predators usually don't tell us why our stand was not successful, we can only guess and make conclusions based upon positive and negative experiences. Personally, I like to low-key call at first because in general, I have experienced a more positive response. So, based upon my own experience, I will continue to do so.Another personal opinion is that I believe you can scare a predator away with volume that is too loud. I think 90db+ screams from a call box will make the average coyote think twice before confronting a 300-pound bunny. But, that is simply my opinion. And you know the old sayings about opinions. These forums are valuable because we all have opinions based upon our experiences. I'll bet fishermen have the same debates and discussions relating to their pursuit. There is no silver bullet and no wrong method. If you call and an animal shows up, you must have done something right. However, if you do the same thing again and nothing shows up....it doesn't mean you did something wrong. Come to think of it, it's a lot like being married. I've been married for 17-years and I can't figure out the responses of that female animal either. :good:

#36 fakawee

fakawee

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts
  • Interests:4Wheeling, Hunting, Target Shooting, Fishing, Camping, Kayaking and Glassing the countryside.

Posted 01 July 2010 - 07:30 PM

Red, you need to try a different toy! :welcomeani:

#37 Lonehowl

Lonehowl

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 01:18 PM

#38 Lonehowl

Lonehowl

Squirrel Shooter