15 replies to this topic

#1 fyrewil

fyrewil

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 12:15 PM

During a meeting one of my Captains showed me his hand that had a 3" blood blister and said (my Glock 21 blew up on me) with a smile.... Come over later and see what you think.Curiously I drove over after lunch to find a mdl 21 fractured on both sides of the mag well from top to about 1/2 wat down grip.Ramp on barrel blown off.Casing still inside barrel with obvious seperation at bottom of casing, casing expanded unable to remove.Slide still intact. But seperated from weaponbarrel straight with no bulging.History:Him and his buddy from school reloaded some rounds, started off using min load from Speer manual, loaded 8 rounds each working the load up (did not load max)one was doing the measuring as the other placed the bullet into the casing.one had about 30 minutes of reloading experience (powder measuring) other just started reloading Dec 2009.Accident happend on the last shot of 8.Casings used were recycled from local area shooting ranges (picked up) no history on amout of firing.Impression "Hot load" or Double load? or could have been crack/ stressed casing.He has contacted Glock for assistance in finding cause.Any thoughts?

#2 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,579 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 19 June 2010 - 12:29 PM

Possibly under loaded as it can cause detonation. I've seen it blow bolt actioned guns apart.

#3 4RHUNTS

4RHUNTS

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts
  • Interests:Hunting for varmints, two and four legged varieties, deer, pigs, birds, reloading, and fishing.

Posted 19 June 2010 - 03:54 PM

I would suspect the powder charge due to "only 30 minutes of reloading experience." First thing Glock will say is they do not reccommend using handloads in their pistols.

#4 Heywood

Heywood

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 04:19 PM

Look something like this?Do a Google search on "Glock kb!" there's a wealth of info out there...Or LinkWhile not the sole reason the unsupported chamber in Glocks exacerbate the problem.

#5 fyrewil

fyrewil

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 07:47 AM

WOW!!!Thanks for the info, I will pass it on to the guy.

#6 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 20 June 2010 - 05:40 PM

Probably because glocks are made of plastic. :pirashoot:

#7 zippy1970

zippy1970

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 10:03 PM

HORY CLAP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#8 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,804 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 27 June 2010 - 11:39 PM

Probably because glocks are made of plastic. :rofl2:

:653: :D :D :signs1180lq:

#9 Baja_Traveler

Baja_Traveler

Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 665 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 07:45 AM

And you also can't shoot cast bullets in a glock - their screwball "rifling" can't handle it.

#10 Red Dog

Red Dog

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 01:47 PM

Shoulda bought a Kimber.

#11 rude robert

rude robert

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 01:17 AM

No should have bought a super redhawk

#12 Gapmaster

Gapmaster

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 11:25 PM

Maybe not sized correctly. Bolt not closed all the way. Out of battery. Yikes !! Ugly !!

#13 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 19 July 2010 - 11:27 AM

And you also can't shoot cast bullets in a glock - their screwball "rifling" can't handle it.

Don't know where people get these crazy ideas from. My best friend & hunting partner carries a 27 for his CCW and it absolutely loves my 155 gr Lasercast reloads. Maybe it's the oddball, but I would try it first before blowing them off. He borrowed my recipe, is reloading his own now, and couldn't be happier. Try it first.

#14 fyrewil

fyrewil

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 04:32 PM

UPDATE!Glock with ammo was sent back to Glock for inspection.Conclusion: 45 rounds were loaded P+P+P+. Glock with no questions asked just replaced with new mdl 21.Now that is what I call customer service... they found the problem to be overload and reload, but still stood behind there product and replace the weapon even after it was detirmind to be loose nut behind the wheel..... er gun... er reloader!Long story short, his wife did not like the mdl 21 due to the size of the grip being too big, so I traded my mdl 23 for it!2 happy people.GLOCK ROCKS on customer service, I thought for sure they would have said "Sorry this was your problem" :dead horse: :drinks:

#15 airgunny

airgunny

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 11:28 AM

i've held several glocks but never shot one. they feel cheap to me.then again i'm a well biased 1911 guy.that is some SCARY stuff!!!!

#16 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,319 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 07:51 PM

Yeah they really over loaded it.I was going to say maybe weak brass and an un supported chamber caused it.I have read you can buy another barrel that does not have the un supported chamber and then reload for it .That is one reason they are so reliable .Drop a bullet in the barrel chamber and you can see how lose it fit's in it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users