• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Yodel Dog

Yodel Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts
  • Interests:Guns and hunting, fishing when I can.

Posted 18 June 2010 - 10:50 AM

While inadvertent, someone posted an illegal catch online, where DFG saw the internet video.Black Sea Bass

#2 5150Marcelo

5150Marcelo

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 11:40 AM

Nice! Get a good close up shot for the DFG to use to prosecute your dumb ass! LOL

#3 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,500 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 18 June 2010 - 12:12 PM

And people don't think the DFG uses the internet to catch people.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#4 Baja_Traveler

Baja_Traveler

Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 665 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 12:57 PM

And I'll bet dollars to donuts that what they actually get is a couple hundred dollar fine and loss of a fishing license for a year. Damn courts are way too lenient on poachers and idiots like these two.

If you can get arrested for hunting or fishing without a license, but not for being in the country illegally,… you might live in a country founded by geniuses but run by idiots.

#5 Yodel Dog

Yodel Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 01:26 PM

I don't ocean fish. Is it hard for the occasional angler to know was is and is not a legal species? There are many more species to deal with as opposed to your local lake or river.Looking at the crowd, I'd say these two were ignorant of the laws instead of purposefully poaching.

#6 jawbreaker

jawbreaker

Big Shooter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,949 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 05:12 PM

Unfortunately for them that doesn't make it OK. Where would we be if ignoranced of the law was a good excuse to break the law.

#7 Yodel Dog

Yodel Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 08:08 PM

Granted, thus the reason for my question. Though I hope the punishment for poaching is higher than for ignorance.

#8 BC9696

BC9696

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 08:02 AM

I wonder what goes thru his mind now when he watches his smiling face as he is hauling in the poached fish. Ignorance is no excuse IMHO. Clearly the onlookers are as clueless as he was...the applause was disheartening to me. I woulda tried to resusitate the fish had I been there. I have caught several BSB and they are a joy to play with...and release!

#9 zippy1970

zippy1970

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 07:06 PM

ignorance of the law is no excuse and yes they will probably get off light ( dollars & prohibition from fishing ) look at what happened a year ago ( years ago ) to the Elk poacher . It was dollars & BS . Ignorance is bliss . When I worked off the Seal Beach Pier I saw a guy with a 10+lb Lobster that he caught with a rod & reel (illegal ) and he said " so " . some people do not care . I have been fishing since 78' and I know so many people that back in the day , early 80's , caught & kept Black Saeabass . I was told the 50 & under was the better tasting but I know someone that caught one off of Mexican coast ( it scaled 270) and they cut it up and gave everyone a piece of it . all said it was great . I hope that someone posts the follow up . I think it will be fines & prohibitions ...... Andy

#10 TonyS

TonyS

Dog's driver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • Interests:Birds, deer, predators

Posted 21 June 2010 - 04:58 AM

The good thing is that it was on tv and the internet. That raises the stakes for DFG. They have to make an example. I would hope $ and loss of a license would not be enough. And they should go after the people in the boat who actually caught it as well as the beach idiots.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users