#1 P.McKenna

P.McKenna

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Camping, 4WD's, Fighting to Support the 2A

Posted 13 June 2010 - 09:39 AM

So I finally got around to finding a reliable rig for a DD & Hunting/Trail rig. Found a clean one owner 93' Cherokee Sport 4D 4.0L 5spd, after reading for years how great the XJs are and that the 4.0 Straight 6's can run 300-400K if they are taken care of I took the plunge. And lets not forget all the praise for Jeeps in certain threads here :roflmao3[1]: Started making a Parts list of Add-on which follows:Rubicon Express 3.5" Lift31x10.5 BFGsRoof RackCB w/ Driverside Hood mount for antennaPictures are soon to follow once I get off my ass and take a few pictures w/ the digital camera.If anyone got any ideas or opinions on good add-ons or modifications that might make it more comfortable, trail ready, or reliable I'm all ears

#2 jawbreaker

jawbreaker

Big Shooter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,946 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 09:50 AM

You may need a slip yoke eliminator with the 3-1/2" RE lift. I have that lift on mine and had to use the SYE to get rid of the vibration in the drive line. You will also need to figure out where you want to keep your spare, I built a roof rack for mine but it does make it a little top heavy. I was and am still thinking of building a rear bumper with a swing away tire carrier but I'm in and out of the back so much when I hunt that I am still steering away from that. When you put the lift on I would recomend adding quick disconnects also, With the 31s I thing the extra flex you will get is worth the $150, I still need to install them on mine. good luck and get some pics up soon, Ron

#3 P.McKenna

P.McKenna

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 11:58 AM

Thanks for the Input Ron. I agree w/ it becoming top heavy and am looking at a Rear swing away tire carrier bumper w/ Jerry Can mount as well to level it out a bit, especially since I am planning on a Winch Bumper for the front.

#4 jawbreaker

jawbreaker

Big Shooter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,946 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 12:15 PM

One more thing, when you get your lift if you are going with replacement prings and not the add a leaf you might want to go with 5-1/2" springs in the front. Check out my XJ on my post, I have replacement springs in the rear and went with daystar 1-3/4" bushings with the 3-1/2" RE springs in the front. I would have gone with the larger springs in the front in retrospect and may switch them out later( that's what you get when you listen to the kid behind the counter at the off road store).

#5 P.McKenna

P.McKenna

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 06:18 PM

Couldn't find the Digital Camera but took a few w/ my Cell. Here's one that went throughPosted ImageGonna be grabbing a new Windshield tomorrow & I found a great model for what I've been wanting to do to it and found it off the Bushwacker site :Posted Image

#6 jawbreaker

jawbreaker

Big Shooter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,946 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 07:22 PM

I like those fender flares. Are those bushwacker? I asume so since the pictures come from their site.

#7 fakawee

fakawee

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts
  • Interests:4Wheeling, Hunting, Target Shooting, Fishing, Camping, Kayaking and Glassing the countryside.

Posted 14 June 2010 - 07:34 PM

Lights on the roof rack need to be covered or you'll get pulled over by the CHP then they start looking for other things like uncovered/protruding tires, LED tail lights that aren't DOT approved, tinted windows-the list goes on with those LEO's....
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. Mark Twain

#8 P.McKenna

P.McKenna

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 07:46 PM

Yep those are a new Product from Bushwacker, their Flat Fender Flares. Quadratec has em in stock right now. fakawee- I know it bro, wouldn't want to give em a reason to pick the whole thing apart.

#9 Grizzly_Adams

Grizzly_Adams

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • Interests:Spending as much time as possible away from all the modern conveniences of city life.<br /><br />Hunting, Hiking, Shooting, Backpacking, Wheelin, Camping

Posted 07 July 2010 - 07:32 PM

depending what your end goal is tire size wise and wheeling and what not, ditch the d35 and find a d44 from and mj or an 87 or earlier xj and truss that d30 b4 u bend it. i hear mixed things about the bushwackers as far as cracking and what not, alot of guys will use the TJ flares, i just took mine off but i cut my fenders a lil also so....
The only thing I've learned for sure hunting is even if I'm maken tag soup at the end of every season from here on out, I will hunt as long as I'm on the top side of the soil.

#10 Baxter

Baxter

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 06:29 PM

Check this out for a lift if you are on a budget.http://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Articles/Suspension_Steering_Axles_and_Brakes/Budget_Lift.htmWhen I get a XJ, this the route I am going.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users