9 replies to this topic

#1 zippy1970

zippy1970

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 12 June 2010 - 07:56 PM

well i picked it up , no picks yet , nor have I shot it yet . But my question is " how tight / much force " should be used when installing the chokes ? i did not get a man w/ it . Can anyone help ? Andy

#2 Yodel Dog

Yodel Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts
  • Interests:Guns and hunting, fishing when I can.

Posted 12 June 2010 - 08:21 PM

Just "good and snug". You are trying to eliminate the blow by of gases between the tubes and the barrel. Clean the choke tube, clean the barrel and it's choke tube recess well. Lube the choke tube recess in the barrel, lube the choke tube and then tighten.Check and clean frequently until you can determine how long to go between cleanings. If it starts to get hard to remove tube, it's too long between cleanings.

#3 zippy1970

zippy1970

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 12 June 2010 - 09:29 PM

Thanx Yodeldog . is there any type of lube that needs to be used specifically ? And the " blow by " you are mentioning maybe why there is a choke thats dirty on the outside ( which should have been up against the inside bbl wall ) of it . Black , sooty . Andy

#4 Yodel Dog

Yodel Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts

Posted 12 June 2010 - 10:14 PM

I use Loctite's "Silver Grade" Anti-Seize. This closely resembles "choke tube lube" but at less cost. Heat, pressure and moisture is what you are combating.Other anti-seize compounds may work as well. Oil or grease is better than nothing, but check tubes more often.Also, lube the entire outside of the tube, not just the threads.

#5 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 13 June 2010 - 05:08 PM

My favorite stuff to use on choke tubes and any other part of a gun is a 50-50 mix of Kroil and Seafoam. It seems to stay wet on the threads alot longer than any other oil I've tried and if you're the type that likes to change chokes a few times a season you don't have to worry about getting the silver stuff all over your choke tube holder. Straight Kroil works almost as well. If you normally install a tube and forget about it the anti seize stuff would be the way to go.
My guns are mine, they aren't for sale, and I only give guns to people that I really like. So I guess the government is **** out of luck.

#6 zippy1970

zippy1970

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 01:08 PM

Thanx Again Yodel Dog & Clampdaddy . BUt I just took it out for the 1st time and it KICKS *** !!!!! I just shoot clays at the local range and got a 24 / 25 the first rd . Then I got a 23/25 the 2nd rd . With it being a little light , it pushes more but dang I went out with back spasms, my swollen wrist & bad elbow and that little gun put a smile on my face : ) I hope I don't start to neglect my SKB O/U ....... Andy

#7 Yodel Dog

Yodel Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 08:33 PM

Sounds like the shooter is doing his job Andy!! Too bad about the recoil, were you shooting heavy or light loads?

#8 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 16 June 2010 - 05:34 PM

Is that a recoil operated gun?
My guns are mine, they aren't for sale, and I only give guns to people that I really like. So I guess the government is **** out of luck.

#9 zippy1970

zippy1970

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 09:33 AM

Clampdaddy : Its an Inertia operated , no gas Yodel dog : there were the Fed #8 " heavy field " loads only a few more fps than the H200 i usually shoot . The gun was hardly broken in (60rds) and the manuel says to run 4-6 bxs of " heavier " loads to get it to cycle the lightest stuff reliably . i also weighed it and my O/U . Its seems about a pound and a half lighter than my SKB . Andy

#10 Yodel Dog

Yodel Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 09:45 AM

Limbsaver makes a recoil pad that replaces the factory pad. It will greatly improve the felt recoil.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users