9 replies to this topic

#1 deserthunter

deserthunter

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 09:51 AM

I've been shooting a compound for years but thought it might be fun to concentrate on a recurve. I can get a Hoyt Dorado for a pretty good deal. Anybody made the switch here? This Saturday I'm going to demo a recurve since I haven't shot one for 20 years. :signs1180lq: Tips? Thanks

#2 Jason

Jason

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,183 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, camping, scuba diving, American Revolution living history, fishing, ham radio.

Posted 10 June 2010 - 10:49 AM

Boy I've shot both but it's hard for me to pick up the recurve after shooting the compound for years.

#3 jawbreaker

jawbreaker

Big Shooter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,949 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 06:58 PM

Thumper has a couple of wood bows, He would be the guy to ask.

#4 peeker seeker

peeker seeker

25-06 shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,898 posts
  • Interests:Grand kids, My dogs, My girls the rabbits and hens Hunting & fishing

Posted 14 June 2010 - 07:44 PM

I shoot both. I like the recurves better. quicker for me to shoot. Tree stands I like a compoud. stalking the recurves. :) :)

#5 deserthunter

deserthunter

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 02:57 PM

What weight difference do you have between the compound and recurve? My compound is currently setup at 70# and it's perfect. I was thinking around 55# for a recurve? I didn't demo any recurves last Saturday so I'm going to try this weekend. I need to get a better feel for the recurve weights. I don't want to drop the money on a 50# recurve only for 4 months later wish I had gotten a 55 or 60# one. Thanks

#6 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,804 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 15 June 2010 - 09:46 PM

Hey thats great getting rid of the training wheels. Get a 60 lb or 55lb 60 is what I shoot in both my long bow and recurve. get one in abought 56-58 inches smoother to shoot. Try the bow out ,try a few out get the one that feels good and one you can shoot with out hurting your self. Keep in mind that there are 50Lb bows that can shoot faster than some 55-60lb bows. But speed is not everything. Good luck. Carfull ! you might not stop at one bow and God help you if you start making your owen arrows and bows. :roflmao3[1]:

#7 nje

nje

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • Interests:family, friends,hunting, archery and BBQ.

Posted 17 June 2010 - 07:15 PM

have made some kills with my stickbows that would have been nearly impossible to make with and compound. there alot lighter in the hand for those long hunts and there is alot of mechanical things with a compound that can go wrong in the field that do not happen with these bows. if you can, try some bows in various wieghts to see which is more comfortable. my longbows and recurves range from 75#to 59# at my draw. my martin is 75# and 1 bear is 65#. both of my widows are 59# and they hit harder than both of these. my tomahawk is 70#, my hardest hitter and is my go to bow when hunting the big boys. i have 6 sticks: 2 black widows, 1 tomahawk, 2 bears and 1 martin. i am an addict as i will be purchasing another widow and tomahawk. there is something truly romantic about these bows. shot a longbow for 3 years before i completely made the switch. i would feel guilty if i ever went back.

#8 leftfoot

leftfoot

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 04:35 PM

I did it 23 years ago and I've never regreted it. It's a blast and a real challenge.

#9 OrneryOlMofo357

OrneryOlMofo357

Tikka Shooter, and a bad shot at that.

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,062 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 05:44 PM

Shooting with a stick bow is way different than shooting with a compound.The let off on a compound allows a shooter to aim more precisely where as the Recurve gets harder to pull as the weight increases. I used to shoot 60-80 lbs with a compund in compettition, doing that with a 70 lb recurve would be pretty tough. Let us know how it works out. Good luck.

#10 leftfoot

leftfoot

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 08:45 AM

Made the switch in 87 and never regretted it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users