4 replies to this topic

#1 bjkearns

bjkearns

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 09:48 PM

here are some penal codes 12078( c )( 2 ) means handguns require paper and a fee - this form, Operation of Law or Intrafamilial Handgun Transaction Report, and $19 for all the handguns you care to transfer.12078( c )( 2 ) also means parents or grandparents can transfer handguns to children or grandchildren 18 or older. Since it's illegal for dealers to transfer handguns to people under 21, this is the way people 18, 19 and 20 can legally receive handguns. (Penal Code 12026 is quite clear that those 18 and over can "own, possess, [and] keep ..." a pistol or revolver.)For my Graduation my Mom is wanting to purchase me a Ruger 22/45 .22lr pistol I am currently 19 year old My Mom does not have a Handgun safety certificate and neither do IIm assuming both of us would have to have handgun safety certificate in order for this to go smoothlyUpon purchase how would that work?I would like to take ownership as soon as possible Thank you so much for your helpJoseph Kearns

#2 Bronco

Bronco

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,123 posts
  • Interests:Hunting i.e. deer, varmints, yotes. Target Shooting, Trap Shooting.

Posted 09 June 2010 - 03:34 AM

here are some penal codes 12078( c )( 2 ) means handguns require paper and a fee - this form, Operation of Law or Intrafamilial Handgun Transaction Report, and $19 for all the handguns you care to transfer.12078( c )( 2 ) also means parents or grandparents can transfer handguns to children or grandchildren 18 or older. Since it's illegal for dealers to transfer handguns to people under 21, this is the way people 18, 19 and 20 can legally receive handguns. (Penal Code 12026 is quite clear that those 18 and over can "own, possess, [and] keep ..." a pistol or revolver.)For my Graduation my Mom is wanting to purchase me a Ruger 22/45 .22lr pistol I am currently 19 year old My Mom does not have a Handgun safety certificate and neither do IIm assuming both of us would have to have handgun safety certificate in order for this to go smoothlyUpon purchase how would that work?I would like to take ownership as soon as possible Thank you so much for your helpJoseph Kearns

Hey Joe, CA state law only requires the buyer to have a HSC. Your mom can purchase the handgun then she'll have to fill out the Intrafamilial Handgun Transaction form and send it along with the $19 dollar fee to the CA DOJ to transfer the handgun into your name. The HSC is only required to purchase a handgun not own one. The 30 question HSC test is pretty simple. I suggest she picks up a study booklet at your local gun shop or go online at the CA DOJ website and review HSC requirements before going down to take the test.Hope this helpsBob
Posted ImagePosted ImageNRA Member

#3 Fjold

Fjold

Traveling hitman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,794 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, hunting and fishing.

Posted 09 June 2010 - 06:35 AM

From the CA DOJ Handgun Safety Certificate Requirements FAQs. http://ag.ca.gov/fir...hscfaqs.php#a1413.Do I need a Handgun Safety Certificate (HSC) if I am receiving a handgun from my mother or father? Yes. Prior to taking possession of the handgun, you must have a valid Handgun Safety Certificate (HSC). You must also report the transfer to DOJ, pursuant to Penal Code section 12078(2)(A), within 30 days of the transfer. You may obtain Form FD4544A [PDF 28 kb / 2 pg] for this purpose on this website.
Frank
One rifle, one planet. Holland's 375
Posted Image

#4 Bronco

Bronco

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,123 posts
  • Interests:Hunting i.e. deer, varmints, yotes. Target Shooting, Trap Shooting.

Posted 09 June 2010 - 11:20 AM

From the CA DOJ Handgun Safety Certificate Requirements FAQs. http://ag.ca.gov/fir...hscfaqs.php#a1413.Do I need a Handgun Safety Certificate (HSC) if I am receiving a handgun from my mother or father? Yes. Prior to taking possession of the handgun, you must have a valid Handgun Safety Certificate (HSC). You must also report the transfer to DOJ, pursuant to Penal Code section 12078(2)(A), within 30 days of the transfer. You may obtain Form FD4544A [PDF 28 kb / 2 pg] for this purpose on this website.

Frank: thanks for the correction.
Posted ImagePosted ImageNRA Member

#5 Fjold

Fjold

Traveling hitman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,794 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, hunting and fishing.

Posted 09 June 2010 - 05:58 PM

thank you all for your quick replys I went to a couple gunstores today. It looks like one of the hardest problems of this plan is taking the Handgun safety certificate test when under 21yrs old I looked what the requirements of the HSC is and it does not mention anything about ageIf anyone knows of a gunshop in Orange County that is willing to do a HSC for someone that is under 21 years old, could you let me know

Most of the gunshops are just ignorant of the laws and think that anyone under 21 can not own a handgun. One thing that you might try is printing out the CA penal code 12803 and show it to them first. 12803. (a) No certified instructor may issue a handgun safetycertificate to any person who has not complied with this article.Proof of compliance shall be forwarded to the department by certifiedinstructors as frequently as the department may determine. (:signs684mh: No certified instructor may issue a handgun safety certificateto any person who is under 18 years of age. 9c) A violation of this section shall be grounds for thedepartment to revoke the instructor's certification to issue handgunsafety certificates.Sorry but a "b" in parenthesis shows up as the smiley face that you see in my cut and paste of the law above. You might want to print it out in Microsoft Word and print it out from there.
Frank
One rifle, one planet. Holland's 375
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users