• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,676 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 07 June 2010 - 08:25 AM

Hornady is now offering a non lead 17 HMR.http://www.hornady.c...MR-15.5-gr-NTX/

#2 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,192 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, PCP Airguns, Flying (home builts)

Posted 07 June 2010 - 08:37 AM

Did you see the MV on that little guy?

#3 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,676 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 08:46 AM

I couldn't fine the muzzle velocity for the 17 HMR with the NTX bullet.

#4 Rimrock

Rimrock

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 09:26 AM

Midsouth has had this advertised for some time. I have had it on order since 12-12-09 and it is still back ordered.

#5 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,676 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 10:04 AM

I couldn't find any either Rod. :smiley_kewlpics:

#6 Rimrock

Rimrock

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 10:52 AM

I saw some about a month ago at Barnwood Arms in Ripon. Their price was about the same as Hornady's advertised price. I wasn't willing to pay that when Midsouth's price was $11.02 plus shipping. I figured that if it was available Midsouth would have it pretty soon. I just hope it shoots better than Winchester's tin .22 Rimfires.

#7 A17Shooter

A17Shooter

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts
  • Interests:Varmint Hunting, Rifles, Hunting Pistols, Long Range, Computers, Cameras

Posted 07 June 2010 - 10:34 PM

Just wait another year and it should be available. Unless Obama outlaws it.

#8 A17Shooter

A17Shooter

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts
  • Interests:Varmint Hunting, Rifles, Hunting Pistols, Long Range, Computers, Cameras

Posted 16 June 2010 - 08:51 AM

Noticed that the NTX rimfire stuff has disappeared from Midway's listing. Oh well, maybe next year.

#9 ratassassin

ratassassin

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,718 posts
  • Interests:Handloading, hunting, target shooting.

Posted 12 October 2010 - 01:16 PM

The new Hornady lead free NTX .17 HMR 15.5 grain ammo is now in stock. Midsouth has the best price.Midsouth: $11.02/boxhttps://www.midsouth...?sku=0000383171Natchez: $12.79/boxhttp://www.natchezss...;prodID=HO83171

#10 A17Shooter

A17Shooter

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 12:16 PM

Got my order in for 17 HMR NTX from Midsouth. They were out of the 17 Mach 2. Something new to test and find out if it's any good.

#11 ratassassin

ratassassin

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 01:20 PM

Cool. Let us know how they shoot. I've got 500 rounds on the way as well. Looking forward to hunting with my CZ 452 American .17 HMR in the Condor zone!

#12 Rimrock

Rimrock

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 07:10 PM

Midsouth tells me mine are on the way. I ordered them 12-12-09. Now that is service !!!

#13 Yodel Dog

Yodel Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts
  • Interests:Guns and hunting, fishing when I can.

Posted 17 October 2010 - 07:14 PM

They saved the good stuff for you, everything prior was garbage.

#14 A17Shooter

A17Shooter

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 08:54 PM

Got the Condor Zone 17 HMR ammo today. Still no velocity for this schmidt on the Hornady web site. However, the velocity is printed on the box.From the NTX cartridge box -M.V. = 2525 fps100 yd = 1829 fps200 yd = 1291 fpsFrom the web siteBC = .115SD = .075For the 17 gr VMax -From the web siteMuzzle = 2550 fps100 yd = 1901 fps200 yd = 1378 fpsFrom the web siteBC = .125SD = .155Hmm, lighter bullet, less velocity. seems backwards

#15 Rimrock

Rimrock

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 06:51 PM

I got mine Saturday. Have not had a chance to shoot it yet. I'm hopeful that it does better than Winchester's .22 LR tin bullets.

#16 ratassassin

ratassassin

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 11:00 AM

I had the chance to try out the new Hornady NTX 15.5 gr .17 HMR ammo yesterday with my CZ 452 American. It shot very well, considering it's such a light bullet. Winds were light and gusty from 5-15 mph, so I had to time my shots. But my best 5-shot groups were:50 yards: .649"100 yards: 1.02"

#17 kidscollegefund

kidscollegefund

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 06:37 PM

8 out of 52 ground squirrels like the 15.5 grain NTX, the other 44 had no comment. :yahoo: Sure feels good to be lead-free.

#18 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,676 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 09:25 AM

Any other results on this ammo? I'm surprised I haven't heard more since it was so late coming out. Accuracy, frangibility any other comments? How about velocity has anyone done any tests?

#19 ratassassin

ratassassin

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 10:26 AM

I haven't been able to hunt with it yet since my last post. But I'm looking forward to testing it on ground squirrels this Spring.In terms of prices, the lowest price I've found is at Midsouth for $11.02 a box.

#20 ratassassin

ratassassin

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 04:35 PM

While I was at the range today, I tested some of the Hornady NTX 15.5 gr lead free .17 HMR in my Savage BTVSS 93R17. My best group at 100 yards was 5 shots within .65" although I had three other groups that were 1 to 2 inches. I was shooting with a dirty barrel that had about 200 rounds through it already, and I was shooting the groups fairly quickly without allowing the barrel to cool much between shots. It was the end of the day and I was running out of time. I also got to test terminal ballistics of the new round and am happy to report that it was quite explosive. A gopher stuck its head up at 75 yards and I plugged him solid in the head. The nice thing about 17 HMR is there's almost no recoil so you can see the hit. About 5 minutes later, a second gopher stuck his head up and started rooting around at 60 yards. I shot him in the neck and the bullet blew parts out the other side. I couldn't find the first one because it fell down a deep hole. But I found the second one sitting down in a shallower hole. Tried to shoot a photo with my cell phone, which was all I had on me. So, they work well out to 75 yards for sure. Still have to test them at 150 yards though. Close your eyes Braz. :signs1180lq: Posted Image

#21 dangerranger

dangerranger

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts
  • Interests:I am a shooter first and then a hunter. I shoot competitively, most recently in the American Single Shot Association. I have also shot Cowboy action, Silhoettes,etc.. I like to build guns as a hobby.

Posted 31 January 2011 - 06:33 PM

I got my first box last year in Fresno. it shot to the same point of aim as the other hornaday I had. but when I tryed to order more every one was out of stock. I was beginning to think they had pulled it off the shelfs.My contact at Hornaday says that they are ready to ship 17Mach2 with this NTX bullit. I had just about given up getting any lead free for the little brother 17. I wont be buying any more in Fresno at $17 for 50 but now that the major suppliers have it on their shelfs Ill stock up. DR

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users