17 replies to this topic

#1 Phil

Phil

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 05:11 PM

Recently ordered a Volquartsen .17 HMR superlight. Narrowed my choice of scopes to Zeiss 4.5-14-44mm, and Swarovski 3.5-18-44mm. Does anyone have any input/constructive criticism about either one of these choices that will help me make up my mind? It will be used mainly as a small game carry gun with some bench rest squirrel shooting.ThanksAttached File  1.jpg   3.93KB   29 downloads

#2 BullsEye

BullsEye

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,057 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 05:36 PM

Looks nice! Both scopes sound good to me too. How heavy are they? That might be a factor if your going to walk around with them on your rifle. The 3.5 will be nice for moving targets and the 18 will work great for some long distance stuff too. Either way both companies make good glass from what I hear. Have you looked thru them side by side?

#3 Phil

Phil

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 07:58 PM

The Swarovski is 15.9 oz and the Zeiss is 17.11 oz. I tried to compare them side by side but my local shop has the 3.5 - 18 with the BRX reticle not the plex. There seems to be less eye relief with the Swarovski. But im so darn picky it may take weeks to make a decision .

#4 BullsEye

BullsEye

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,057 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 08:46 PM

Take your time. I imagine if you ordered the rifle it may take weeks to get it and DROS it anyway. The eye relief isn't that big a deal since a 17HMR doesn't kick much but it could affect how quick you draw on a moving target. Which one has the wider field of view? Which one do you think has clearer glass? What about warranties? The reticles can be compared most likely on there website I imagine. Plenty of things to look into and in the end you need to be comfortable with your choice.

#5 acousticmood

acousticmood

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 11:16 AM

That is a sweet setup no matter which one you choose.Do you know if Volquartsen sell just a .17hmr semi auto receiver?

#6 Phil

Phil

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 02:23 PM

I dont think so. But they are the only ones I know of that sell a 17 HMR semi auto at all. With a great accuracy guarantee.

#7 acousticmood

acousticmood

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 07:41 PM

Yeah - seems like everyone else has withdrawn them. I love the cartridge and would like to get into a semi auto.

#8 Phil

Phil

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 07:47 PM

Yes, it a "dream come true" cartridge in a semi auto. The Volquartsen is all custom no cutting corners. Cant wait, will be hell on squirrels and rabbits.

#9 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts
  • Interests:God, family & country. Predator hunting, shooting, reloading.

Posted 07 June 2010 - 06:49 AM

Both of the scopes you mentioned previously are great scopes. Do either one of them come with a ballistic program and a reticle that will allow you to hit your targets the first time at a variety of ranges? You owe it to yourself to investigate Hawke optics. Our tactical scope line features a very sweet 4.5-14 X38 scope with SR6 range finding, dual illumination (red or green), glass etched, ballistic calculated reticle. You can download the free, compatible ballistic program and never miss a shot with your new rifle. Investigate the Hawke reviews on-line and in this forum.
"Never hold discussions with the monkey when the organ grinder is in the room." Winston Churchill

#10 Phil

Phil

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 06:59 PM

Sorry, I think Im going to muddle through with the Swarovski.

#11 acousticmood

acousticmood

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 12 June 2010 - 12:08 PM

Let us know how it shoots when you get it.From where did you order it?

#12 .22guy

.22guy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 12 June 2010 - 01:07 PM

Can't help you much on the scopes, but that is one bad@#$ looking rifle!

#13 Phil

Phil

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 03:12 PM

Let us know how it shoots when you get it.From where did you order it?

I ordered it from "Nice Shot" in Redding. They have been outstanding in every respect. Will post when its put together and hits the paper. Im thinking about Burris Tacical Extreme rings with the optional picatiney top mount. Will use it for the Laser Genetics laser designator for night hunting rabbits and coyotes.

#14 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,328 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 13 June 2010 - 04:01 PM

Phil you'd better do some checking on the use of any sort of light mounted on the gun for hunting.And you can't hunt rabbits at night because they are considered game.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#15 acousticmood

acousticmood

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 04:57 PM

Phil you'd better do some checking on the use of any sort of light mounted on the gun for hunting.And you can't hunt rabbits at night because they are considered game.

What if you head north to Oregon?

#16 Phil

Phil

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 05:27 PM

What if you head north to Oregon?

My intent is to only hunt at night in Nevada. Where its my understanding that it is legal.

#17 .22guy

.22guy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 08:40 PM

My intent is to only hunt at night in Nevada. Where its my understanding that it is legal.

Most of Nevada is legal to hunt at night, but I believe there are a handful of counties where it is not legal.

#18 Heywood

Heywood

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 07:07 AM

Most of Nevada is legal to hunt at night, but I believe there are a handful of counties where it is not legal.

The safe rule of thumb is anything south of Hwy 50, with the exception of Humbolt Co. Do your homework as there are still restrictions for night hunting. Some Nevada County Ordinances on Hunting at Night

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users