• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 StoneTower

StoneTower

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts
  • Interests:Pulling the trigger and setting the hook!!!

Posted 03 June 2010 - 05:57 PM

I just got one of thesehttp://www.midwayusa...ctnumber=264776I need to fill it and with something. I do not want to use corn or rice as something with teeth might chew a hole in my new bag. Kitty litter was also suggested, but I am not sue if the stuff in kitty litter is good on metal parts (i.e. GUNS).I was thinking of something like poly pellets that are used in bean bags and dolls.http://cgi.ebay.com/...=item439e1b45a2Is there a source for these in bulk in Sacramento so I don't have to buy the little bags and spend a fortune?Thanks,David

#2 OrneryOlMofo357

OrneryOlMofo357

Tikka Shooter, and a bad shot at that.

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,060 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 06:44 PM

I would use sand.. reason is, I have a 2 Bag setup, and they were prefilled with some kind of material from Caldwell. Well, as you said The Mice chewed a hole in the big bag, and small ammounts started leaking out. So I took them out of the vehicle, and put them on the porch. They got wet. Now the little bag swelled up soo tite I cant open it to get the contents out. Its as hard as a brick and I cant use it. LOL I think a material not affected by water would be a good choice. Good Luck.

#3 Old timer

Old timer

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts
  • Interests:Hunting (all types) fishing and reading all the posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 06:46 PM

try silica sand, It has the weight and won't harm the gun

#4 StoneTower

StoneTower

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts
  • Interests:Pulling the trigger and setting the hook!!!

Posted 03 June 2010 - 06:57 PM

It said on the package not to use sand for some reason. It might be that the seams are not tight enough to hold it in or that the bag is not durable enough to handle the weight of sand.They suggested kitty litter, but unsented kitty litter is dry clay. If you get it damp, it turns to mud.Thanks,David

#5 hawjbrohunter

hawjbrohunter

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 01:20 AM

go to lowes and in the garden dept, they have 25lbs bags of pebbles the size of a primer. put them in heavy duty ziplock bags and you're good to go for many years. good luck.

#6 Heywood

Heywood

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 10:15 AM

I use a 50/50 mix of sand and crushed walnut (polishing media) The reason they don't recommend sand is that it gets real heavy almost too heavy. I've never had an issue w/ critters wanting the media in my bags.

#7 BC9696

BC9696

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 01:52 PM

I just got one of thesehttp://www.midwayusa...ctnumber=264776I need to fill it and with something. I do not want to use corn or rice as something with teeth might chew a hole in my new bag. Kitty litter was also suggested, but I am not sue if the stuff in kitty litter is good on metal parts (i.e. GUNS).I was thinking of something like poly pellets that are used in bean bags and dolls.http://cgi.ebay.com/...=item439e1b45a2Is there a source for these in bulk in Sacramento so I don't have to buy the little bags and spend a fortune?Thanks,David

You should use the kitty litter David.............if you shoot like crap. :1087:

#8 ratassassin

ratassassin

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,695 posts
  • Interests:Handloading, hunting, target shooting.

Posted 16 June 2010 - 02:14 PM

I used unscented kitty litter to fill my Caldwell TackDriver bag. Works fine although I'm careful not to get the bag wet. The small polypropylene balls would be better but they're expensive, about $5.95 per pack of 500 from McMaster-Carr. http://www.mcmaster....e-balls/=7k8pwiBulk cleaning media like corn cob or walnut shell might be the cheapest and best alternative.

#9 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts
  • Interests:God, family & country. Predator hunting, shooting, reloading.

Posted 16 June 2010 - 06:39 PM

What's wrong with the rice? I have the same bag and it works just fine for me.

#10 JimT.

JimT.

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 09:45 PM

I have the same bag and it works just fine!

#11 Hot Brass

Hot Brass

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 02:04 PM

I have the same rest filled with rice. The bag lives in my truck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users