#1 Steve C

Steve C

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, family, church, bass guitar

Posted 28 August 2006 - 02:03 PM

have a new savage coming home in about 5 more days. Need some help on the following...Favorite ringsFavorite scopeFavorite ammoAnything else? This is gonna be FUN. :)

#2 Bozsik

Bozsik

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,518 posts
  • Interests:Having fun with my Wife and Kids, Hunting, Camping, Wildlife Photography, Woodworking, and Illustration.

Posted 28 August 2006 - 02:18 PM

have a new savage coming home in about 5 more days. Need some help on the following...

Favorite rings - any decent name brandFavorite scope - nikon, or whatever you can afford. Variable somewhere in the 3-16 range. Something with fine crosshairs or mil dot so you can see the squirrels when they are far.Favorite ammo - buy a box of each brand and see how each one groupsAnything else? leave some varmints for the rest of us when we get a chance to get out :) db
TALK STRAIGHT, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND KEEP THE MAGAZINE LOADED.ORANGEVALE,CA

#3 Jason

Jason

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,183 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, camping, scuba diving, American Revolution living history, fishing, ham radio.

Posted 28 August 2006 - 02:39 PM

have a new savage coming home in about 5 more days. Need some help on the following...Favorite ringsFavorite scopeFavorite ammoAnything else? This is gonna be FUN. :)

I like weavers or burris. The savages come with weaver bases so I went with the weaver rings and have been happy. I purchased some nice burris ones for my 223 that allow me to adjust the scope by adjusting the mounts first.Favorite scope: #1 is a Leopold but they are pricey. If I had unlimited funds all my scopes would be Leopolds. My latest is a nice Bushnell Trophy series. They guys in Prarie Dog Be Gone have one on their 223 and like it. I have a Bushnell mildot scope that works pretty good. Avoid the BSA sweet 17s. I have one and it works OK but others have had some real problems with them.Favorite Ammo: I like the CCI TNT Hollow points in 17 grain. The Hornady VMax's don't shoot as tight a group out of my gun. Every rifle is different though. Try them all and see which one gives you the best groups.Optional: 1. Get a boresnake. I just got one for my 17 HMR and my 223 and love them. I will never use the old style rods and brushes again. No mess, easy to use, and quick clean up. Can easilly be used in the field and transports easilly. Very compact.2. Is it for hunting, targets, or both: I shoot at a lot of ground squirels walking and would die without my gun sling. I got an adjustible one at Walmart and love it.3. Shooting sticks or Bi-pod: I like to really shoot the HMR at ranges more than 20 yards. My freehand stinks for longer ranges and I'm stingy about ammo. For hunting I need a rest. I am a big fan of Varmint Al's Bi Fur Pod and used my 10 day gun jail sentence to make one. Al's Bi Fur Pod also makes a decent mono pod for standing shots. I have shot a few squirrels in the head using the Bi Fur Pod as a mono pod.4. Extra clip: The savage 5 shot clip is nice until you are in the heat of battle and have to stop and reload.That's my list. Thanks for letting me spend your money! :) Jason

#4 Bozsik

Bozsik

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,518 posts
  • Interests:Having fun with my Wife and Kids, Hunting, Camping, Wildlife Photography, Woodworking, and Illustration.

Posted 28 August 2006 - 02:52 PM

4. Extra clip: The savage 5 shot clip is nice until you are in the heat of battle and have to stop and reload.Jason

I agree with Jason on the shooting sticks. I was going to put that in , but forgot. A Harris bipod works well for squirrels, and folds up to the gun. Not as good for Jacks in sage areas. I like to have the type that extends to standing heights. Ground squirrels aren't moving around like the jacks or yotes, so the Harris works well enough.It is funny you should mention the clip. I don't think their clip design for the 17HMR is very good. I just bought the Mark II in HM2 and it comes with a 10 round clip that is a joy to work with.db
TALK STRAIGHT, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND KEEP THE MAGAZINE LOADED.ORANGEVALE,CA

#5 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,212 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 06:25 PM

Congrads on the savage 17 hmr Steve C .................. :lol: :lol: I am so Jealous...... :angry: doesn't those last few days drag along when you know your days are almost up.... :D what model did you get ?

#6 rr762mmfmj

rr762mmfmj

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 08:22 PM

Congrats on the HMR, a ton of fun to shoot. Resting on top of my Savage 93R17-BVSS is a Mueller 8.5-25X44 Mil-dot scope attached with high Burris rings. As far as ammo is concerned I agree with other posters here, buy an assortment and try em out, you will find what your HMR likes to eat in a short time.Shooting sticks are a nice accessory or a bi-pod. I think the shooting sticks are easier to use if your just walking around, I have used both. If your Savage has the synthetic stock the sticks may be a better choice. I have found out many synthetic stocks flex enough to contact the barrel when using a bi-pod or resting the for end on something. With the sticks you can adjust where you place them. Enjoy :angry:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users