Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • Interests:Hunting - All types - Mostly duck
    Fishing - All types - Mostly Saltwater
    Photography

Posted 03 June 2010 - 12:46 PM

I have an old H & R 158 in .22 Hornet which had a Bushnell 3x9 scope on it. The scope has some problems and when you move the ring to turn the power up or down it feels like there's something "grinding" inside. Anyway, I don't trust the scope any longer so I need a replacement that isn't double the price of the rifle (so, that lets out most of the Leupold, Zeiss and Swarovski scopes, LOL). Anybody care to recommend a decent scope that won't break the bank, maybe in the $100 to $150 range, (if that's even possible). I'm looking for something like a 3x9 or 4x12 or maybe even a fixed power of 8 or higher. Just looking for something that someone has some experience with that has held up to hunting conditions and is accurate. Thanks!

#2 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts
  • Interests:God, family & country. Predator hunting, shooting, reloading.

Posted 03 June 2010 - 01:31 PM

Hawke offers a lot of choices and they are well within your budget. Non-Illuminated Reticle: HAWKE SPORT HD, NON ILLUMINATED RETICLE CHOICESIlluminated Reticle: HAWKE SPORT HD ILLUMINATED MIL DOT CHOICESThese are great scope values for the $$ and we stand behind them 100%. You will be surprised at how good the clarity and brightness is. Hawke is the best selling rifle scope in Europe.

#3 JimT.

JimT.

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 09:02 PM

I had heard many good things about the Hawke scope that Red raves about and I had read six or more reviews that also spoke highly of the Hawke scopes so I picked one up recently and have to agree with everything I've heard. Great scope for the money. If I had to find something neutral to say about it it would be it does seem to be on the heavy side but other than that it's a great scope.

#4 Canis mortuus

Canis mortuus

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
    Photography

Posted 06 June 2010 - 01:09 PM

CA & Jim,Thanks for the replies. I lucked out and picked up a used Leupold Vari X II 3 x 9 in perfect condition for $140. Couldn't pass that one up.

#5 JimT.

JimT.

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 08:35 PM

If money was not an issue I would lean heavily towards the top of the line Leupolds. Great customer service and a great quality scope.It almost feels like a buyers' market. There are so many good scopes out there.

#6 Karl

Karl

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 02:35 AM

If money is not an issue go with Zeiss. But isn't money always an issue?I like my Hawke as much as my Leupold. Maybe more.

#7 Heywood

Heywood

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 07:27 AM

My 3 favorites are:LeupoldMuellerSwiftI will replace a POS Simmons with a Hawke tho' just to give them a try.

#8 TonyS

TonyS

Dog's driver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 835 posts
  • Interests:Birds, deer, predators

Posted 10 June 2010 - 06:59 PM

I don't hesitate to recommend a new Redfield. They have a warranty similiar to Leupold but in your price range. I recently bought one because after looking through a friend's I noticed that it was better quality optics than my Leupold. I would bet that later, once they really start selling the quality will drop. But for now I don't think you can go wrong with Redfield.Oh, I just saw what you are putting this scope on. Mine went on a H&R Ultra Varmint in .223.

#9 Canis mortuus

Canis mortuus

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
    Photography

Posted 10 June 2010 - 10:17 PM

Again,Thanks for the replies but I lucked out and picked up a used Leupold Vari X II 3 x 9 in perfect condition for $140. Couldn't pass that one up. It's on and bore sighted. Next stop is the range.

#10 JimT.

JimT.

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 10:35 PM

I am very impressed with Hawke scope I picked up recently but I am even more impressed with the Bushnell Elite 6500 4.5-30x50 with the DOA reticle. I love it! Awesome!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users