17 replies to this topic

#1 THE KNOT

THE KNOT

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 02:08 PM

6:30 ,Coffee's hot and a wheel was ready to spin this AM after leaving a leak glanced out at the woodpile and lucky me another fat rat and the window is open . Surprized he was far out under the feeder and had knot a care in the world and lots of seed . As i grab for the r7 just like that gone but time is on my side grab my goods and wait 3 minutes later with just the slightest bit of his scull available between a crack n the wood i let it ride he gave me his eye and the 10 grains of beeman laser lead replaced it .20 yards a r7 good ammo = dead rat ,This is the best backyard pester a perfect rifle for small critters and summer need for quiet performance Posted Image

#2 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,478 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 01 June 2010 - 04:01 PM

Man Chris that's Willard the rat for sure. Nice shooting to get that fat cat rat. :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow:

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#3 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,395 posts
  • Interests:Bass fishing,Kayaking,Airgun hunting

Posted 04 June 2010 - 05:24 PM

Nice going on da rats...!! Fit a light on your R7 and take them at night..!! LOLI shot my first rat ever the other day in my friends barn...got 5 in fact...litterly had them cornered in the rafters behind a beam..had to shoot them thru a hole about 2" dia...Nasty little critters...2300KT...from 6 feet..scope was useless at that range,..so just sighted down barrel..Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#4 Mr Del

Mr Del

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 05:31 PM

:D :lol:

#5 THE KNOT

THE KNOT

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 05:43 PM

thanks guys nice little pistol you have there for the job

#6 ratassassin

ratassassin

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,670 posts
  • Interests:Handloading, hunting, target shooting.

Posted 04 June 2010 - 06:13 PM

Hey, that's great. Nice job on the rats, guys. I got 5 in this last 2 weeks with my R7 and JSB Predators, including a two-fer!

#7 THE KNOT

THE KNOT

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 06:23 PM

RA i shot some preds and didn't care for them much in .20 cal seamed a little to heavy and lacked thump . I shoot beeman lasers and the dead nuts accutare and hit solid what cal is your r7

#8 ratassassin

ratassassin

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,670 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 07:27 PM

Hey, Knot. My R7 is .177 and the JSB Predators have the same point of impact as JSB Exact 8.4 gr. On rats at 14 yards where my bird feeder is, they punch through and through. The R7 is perfect for that distance and size of rodent. Although it's lower powered than my other air rifles, I don't have to worry about ricochets. And it's nice and quiet for those night shots.

#9 VarmintAir

VarmintAir

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 06:58 AM

Nice set up. Excellent shooting. If it weren't for rats and squirrels, I'm not sure what we airgunners would do for targets. Especially since I outgrew the street light thing years ago. :harhar1[1]:
VarmintAir WebsiteAirgun Hunting the California Ground SquirrelVarmintAir's Airgun Hunting BlogDevoted to the sport of responsible varmint and small game hunting with Modern Adult Airguns

#10 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 10:59 AM

I just ordered some predators in .177 cal...I'll be testing them at various ranges on squirrels...just curious how far out they will be accurate...from all I've read, some swear by them and others say they are not accurate beyond 30 yards..others claim good accuracy out to 50 yards...??I'll test them in my 850 HPA .177....I have a single shot tray I can use as predators are to long for my magazines and will not chamber correctly..if they don't do well out to 50 yards,I'll shoot them in my pistol for the short range critters..

#11 ratassassin

ratassassin

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,670 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 01:14 PM

Although in my experience the JSB Predator .177 pellets have been accurate, for shots beyond 25 yards I prefer using JSB Heavy 10.2 gr, JSB Exact 8.4 gr or Beeman FTS 8.9 gr roundnose pellets because they suffer less from drag, maintaining more energy downrange. A roundnose will have a better chance of punching through and through, which I'm convinced is more lethal than a hollow point pellet expanding and dumping all its energy into the vermin and not exiting. That said, with a powerful rifle the JSB Predators very well could fully expand and pass through. Here's a couple good threads on the JSB Predators. http://www.network54...-long---GRAPHIChttp://www.network54...ellets in .177-Look forward to hearing about your experiences with them.

#12 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,478 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 01:44 PM

I've had bad luck with the predator pellets. At 50 yards it anybodies guess where they'll hit. In my opinion the JSB's are the way to go. But get some and try them out I just don't think they the impact the JSB's do and again if it doesn't hit where you aim what good are they.

Time waits for no one--

#13 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 07:04 AM

I've had bad luck with the predator pellets. At 50 yards it anybodies guess where they'll hit. In my opinion the JSB's are the way to go. But get some and try them out I just don't think they the impact the JSB's do and again if it doesn't hit where you aim what good are they.

I always use both JSB 10.2 and JSB 15.8 domes hunting....but have been curuous about the predators. I tested hollowpoints long ago,and they definately are not accurate out beyond 30- yards... I do use RWS Super H Points in my 1377C and they work great inside 30 yards on squirrels..you can hear difference in impact compared to domes...In any case,I can always use the predators in my short range guns.I think the 'points' /tips on the old predators cause inaccuracy...if point is not exactly centered, they could veer off...although the "new" predators supposedly have corrected that...and those are the ones I'll be testing..

#14 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,478 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 07:44 AM

Let us know how they work for you. To tell you the truth as far as I have ever seen no tip design works as well as a domed pellet. The reason being airguns just do not have the speed and therefore the impact energy to effective use the different tip designs. It's the speed that really makes them work. If you shoot a Hornady V-Max at too slow of a speed it doesn't work as it was designed. Just my experiences with pellets in the past. They can't make the lead any softer so they just don't work on flesh at the speed they are traveling. The design looks good on paper but just doesn't produce in reality in my eyes.

Time waits for no one--

#15 ratassassin

ratassassin

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,670 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 01:35 PM

Domed are definitely ballistically superior to a hollow point long range. The reason I use the JSB Predators to hunt rats at close range in my backyard is because I want to reduce the risk of ricochets. (And they're spot on accurate at 14 yards.) My theory is that a roundnose or domed pellet will retain more energy and speed after exiting a rat than a JSB Predator which has a flatter surface area after the red tip comes off. While the Predator also passes through the rats about 80% of the time, they don't go far and I usually recover them within a 1 to 2 foot radius of point of impact. When possible, to make my wife happy I try to recover the spent pellets and toss them so they don't contribute to lead levels in the garden. Wife happy = life happy

#16 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 02:55 PM

Let us know how they work for you. To tell you the truth as far as I have ever seen no tip design works as well as a domed pellet. The reason being airguns just do not have the speed and therefore the impact energy to effective use the different tip designs. It's the speed that really makes them work. If you shoot a Hornady V-Max at too slow of a speed it doesn't work as it was designed. Just my experiences with pellets in the past. They can't make the lead any softer so they just don't work on flesh at the speed they are traveling. The design looks good on paper but just doesn't produce in reality in my eyes.

Yep...good point on speed...my 850 HPA .177 shoots 960 FPS...I'm not looking to subsitute predators for JSBs hunting per se...and if they don't work out I can use them in both my pistols..I'll post test results in a couple weeks...both paper and hunting mode..

#17 mackeralboy

mackeralboy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts
  • Interests:Hunting anything above or below the water. Kayaking, Backpacking, Scuba, Surfing, anything outdoors.

Posted 06 June 2010 - 08:09 PM

Must be a bumper crop of rats this year. I didn't see one on my property till this year and I killed two since the first of the year. Funny thing is that I shot both off of my bird feeder and they had to jump 3-4 feet horizontaly to get on top of that.

#18 THE KNOT

THE KNOT

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 04:43 PM

You would be amazed at how easy 4 ft is for a chipmunk or rat to jump i have seen a chipmunk jump 30 yards in 5 hops from log to log my jaw droped and then i plowed it with a mouth full of seed i mix in some lead .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users