• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Bozsik

Bozsik

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,518 posts
  • Interests:Having fun with my Wife and Kids, Hunting, Camping, Wildlife Photography, Woodworking, and Illustration.

Posted 26 August 2006 - 07:22 PM

I have always tried not to dry fire my rimfire rifles for the fact mentioned by Fjold. But two years ago I bought a Savage Mod 64 for a plicking gun. I had never owned an auto loader before. I don't like to leave my guns ready to fire when I put them away. It is easy on a bolt action to lower the trigger slowly with the bolt. How do you get away with it when discharging the spring tension on an auto-loader?Do you guys leave it cocked after cleaning? I was just wondering. I just dry fire it when done. If there is a better way, let me know.The other thing I found out was that the Marlin 22 LR auto-loader with a tube mag doesn't have any way of locking the bolt back for cleaning. A friend of mine bought one this summer. It is a real drag to have to hold the bolt back the entire time you clean in the breech area or barrel.db
TALK STRAIGHT, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND KEEP THE MAGAZINE LOADED.ORANGEVALE,CA

#2 rr762mmfmj

rr762mmfmj

Predator

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 26 August 2006 - 08:39 PM

I think the general consensus is : don't dry fire rim fires, use a snap cap. I have dry fired many rimfires and nothing bad has happened to me as the result of it yet. However if you just can't help your self you stand the possibility of deforming the chamber at the point where the firing pin strikes it, not good for the firing pin either. I have a High Standard Match pistol I have been firing in competition since High school, dry fire it every time I put it away. 36 plus years of dry firing it and the chamber looks perfect. But my luck hasn't run out yet. Get a snap cap, We will all sleep better :)

#3 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,165 posts

Posted 27 August 2006 - 09:09 AM

Bozik I have a marlin semi auto ,but clip feed mine I pull back the bolt and push in and it stays open try it your friends might be the same.

#4 Bozsik

Bozsik

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,518 posts
  • Interests:Having fun with my Wife and Kids, Hunting, Camping, Wildlife Photography, Woodworking, and Illustration.

Posted 27 August 2006 - 09:41 AM

Bozik I have a marlin semi auto ,but clip feed mine I pull back the bolt and push in and it stays open try it your friends might be the same.

Hi Shoot-it. When he first told me about it, I couldn't believe it either. Mine has a clip like yours and I can lock it by pushing in the lever of the bolt when it is drawn back. His has no such thing on it. Weird, and a pain in th posterior to clean.db
TALK STRAIGHT, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND KEEP THE MAGAZINE LOADED.ORANGEVALE,CA

#5 bzzrd feedr

bzzrd feedr

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Shooting, Fishing, Snow Skiing and RV'ing.

Posted 27 August 2006 - 10:13 AM

You can use a spent round for a snap cap, they're already paid for. :) I think of like recycling. :)
Life Member DU, NRA, VHA,CWA, and The OF's of America.

#6 LASC

LASC

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 27 August 2006 - 10:27 AM

I went to turner's to sign my Savage 17hmr into a 10 days jail sentence. The guy there showed me my gun, and he dry fired it once. :) I should probably ask for a discount now. :)

#7 Stiff Neck

Stiff Neck

Big Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 27 August 2006 - 12:54 PM

I don't know if they sell snap caps for 22lr but they do have rubber plugs with a thumb tag that sticks out of the breech. If you don't want to buy one of those, use an old cartridge or simply use a small piece of thin cardboard. That's what I like 'cause they're cheap to replace. :)

#8 A17Shooter

A17Shooter

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts
  • Interests:Varmint Hunting, Rifles, Hunting Pistols, Long Range, Computers, Cameras

Posted 27 August 2006 - 02:08 PM

Well, I would never dry-fire my 80 yr old Stevens without a snapcap or a fired case in the chamber. Newer guns may be designed to limit the firing pin travel and keep it from damaging the chamber. A17Shooter

Guns only have three enemies, Politicians, Ignorant Liberals and Rust.

"A pen in the hand of this president is far more dangerous than a gun in the hands of 200 million law-abiding citizens."

#9 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,165 posts

Posted 27 August 2006 - 03:30 PM

hay lasc was that before or after you bought it I would have gotten mad if he did it after you did the paper work.......I have heard bad things about turners I never been there don't plan too either.

#10 LASC

LASC

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 27 August 2006 - 04:08 PM

It was after i signed the papers! I didnt know better then, but after reading this tread... :) I didn't like the experience there much either. The staff, lets say, were not very eager to help. Oh well, i guess they just lost a future customer.The gun should be okay, or no?

#11 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,165 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 06:35 PM

OH yeah Lasc its fine Its just common courtesy too ask if you can dry fire someones gun . Well Congrads on you 17hmr have fun with it... :angry:

#12 LASC

LASC

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 06:49 PM

Thanks! I will make sure that I post pictures of its kills. :angry:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users