8 replies to this topic

#1 rdsii64

rdsii64

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 09:43 AM

If I understand this correctly, you should have the brain, eyes and tongue out of your skull before you send it to the taxidermist. So the million dollar newbie question today is how do you get that stuff out of the skull so you can send it to the taxidermist.ThanksRon

#2 BullsEye

BullsEye

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,066 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 11:15 AM

I brought my deer head with everything attached and let the taxidermist do the work. That way you dont ruin the cape around the face for your mount. If your just getting it beetle cleaned you can work a sharp knife around the flesh and for the brain use a wire coat hanger and bend it a little stick it inside the brain cavity and start wiggling. Then get the hose out and hose it out with a good amount of pressure and your all set.

#3 Jeff

Jeff

SacramentoSkullWorks

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 08:40 AM

We use special made high pressure nozzles to remove the brain and very sharp knives for everything else.

#4 Colin

Colin

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 10:48 PM

Here is a tip from a "do it yourself" taxidermist. I carry an Xacto blade with me. When skinning out the face, just stay tight to the bone around the snout and other "tight" areas around the face. it not very hard to do. I generally do the standard skinning up to the ears and cut them off close to the skull. Then move to the eyes. I pull the eyelids away from the skull and cut with the Xacto blade down (from the outside of the eye) close to the bone, down an inch or so. This way you run less risk ruining the eyelids for the taxidermist. Do not try to skin out the nose. Skin down until you run into cartiledge, then just cut off the nose. Leave teh rest for the taxidermist. I do most of my skinning with the Xacto, its small, sharp and blades are easily replaceable. Move slow, and it's not nearly as hard as most think. In the cheek area, skin up next to the teeth 1/2 inch or so. Leave plenty of lip attached. When you get good with the Xacto blade, you can turn the lips by splitting the lip which is just rolled over skin. Keeping the skin cool and dry is the key. The faster you can cool it down the less risk of hair slippage you have. Trim away any biggish chunks of meat and salt it down if possible. Hair slip is caused by bacteria. This bacteria growth is slowed in a cool environment and really, really slowed when salted. But all chunks of meat need to be removed. Make sure to keep it dry. Don't put it in a cooler and let the ice melt and the hide sit in the water. But do not put it in a plastic bag. Leave the drain open on the cooler to drain the water away and place a plastic bag over the ice and place the hide on top of it. check it frequently to make sure it is not getting wet. Cool and dry is the key.

#5 CoyoteHuntress

CoyoteHuntress

Royal Oaks Taxidermy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts
  • Interests:Im a full time taxidermist and I LOVE Hunting- coyotes, bobcat, bear, boar, elk, deer etc..

Posted 17 July 2010 - 04:38 PM

Here is a tip from a professional taxidermist... no offense but most guys dont know how to split turn and salt a cape so that it is usable for a mount.. If your going to cape it off the deer and leave the nose cartilage, then you need to freeze it or take it in to your taxidermist right away. Salt will not reach thru the cartilage, fat, membrane, meat... Splitting lips takes some skill and know how, Its not just "rolled over skin" its meat and tissue that is attached to the skin that must be removed so that the salt can penetrate the skin, You must also turn the ears, so that they are inside out with the cartilage attached to one side, This must be done properly so the ears aren't ripped, remove the ear butts, also the eyes need to be split to the lashes... the lachrymal gland must should also be thinned.. Basically let the taxidermist do this... There is no need to do it yourself unless you know how to properly do it...Ive gotten in way too many hack jobs that ruined a perfectly good cape because they thought it would be easy.. So instead of mounting their deer with their cape, I had to find a replacement cape for them.. this costs the hunter MORE money. If your going to salt dry it you must properly split and turn everything, and ALL meat and membrane must be removed, too many people do not properly salt dry their capes so when the taxidermist dehydrates it all the sudden you get globs of hair coming out... Best thing to do is have someone experienced cape it off the skull,. preferably a professional taxidermist. Also as for the brains tongue eyes thing... Let your taxidermist deal with it..

#6 BullsEye

BullsEye

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,066 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 08:01 PM

Hey Rae,Do you have any pictures of those A zone bucks you where talking about on another thread? I couldn't find the other thread so I figured I would ask here.

#7 CoyoteHuntress

CoyoteHuntress

Royal Oaks Taxidermy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts
  • Interests:Im a full time taxidermist and I LOVE Hunting- coyotes, bobcat, bear, boar, elk, deer etc..

Posted 18 July 2010 - 07:48 AM

25 in wide :drinks: I dont know anything about the hunter, just got passed the pic...Attached File  1.jpg   29.21KB   29 downloads

#8 BullsEye

BullsEye

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,066 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 07:38 PM

Sorry for the high jack but thats a nice buck.

#9 Gunorea

Gunorea

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 09:15 PM

I had the pleasure attending this caping seminar at Bass Pro yesterday.Posted ImagePosted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users