14 replies to this topic

#1 tkleveno51

tkleveno51

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 12:32 PM

just got it from my dad.what do you guys think of them?any good things to upgrade?

#2 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,814 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 29 May 2010 - 12:37 PM

Need more info on this. Length of barrel and pictures would be good. When when it made? You should be very happy with it. I know I would be.

#3 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,659 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 29 May 2010 - 01:14 PM

There are lots of things that can be done to them to make them function better. It can can be ported and the ramp polished. The mag well can be opened up for easier insertion. Trigger and barrel work. The list goes on and on and you can spend almost whatever you want on doing things to them.

#4 tkleveno51

tkleveno51

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 06:18 PM

ohh dang ok. yeah im not sure on the year but pictures will be up soon. what would be the best to do just to start off with?

#5 fakawee

fakawee

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts
  • Interests:4Wheeling, Hunting, Target Shooting, Fishing, Camping, Kayaking and Glassing the countryside.

Posted 29 May 2010 - 08:01 PM

Nice wide beaver tail grip safety.....then have the trigger reworked! I hated my triggers. Pacmayr American Series grips to control recoil and increase accuracy. Just some things I've done to mine... :good:

#6 tkleveno51

tkleveno51

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 12:03 PM

what have you done to the trigger??

#7 gmoney

gmoney

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 07:50 PM

need more info? commander= officers slide with a full frame on it, if it is a series 70 then get another gun to upgrade, there is no way I would alter a series 70... wow what a gift from your father even if it was a series 80. If it is a series 80 then no reason not to get some stuff done with it, like trigger polish feed ramp lower and flair the ejection port, and a king gun works bushing fitted to it. I have an officers model and I love it, it is a little hard on the pride that I was not old enough to buy a flat top series 70, that is my dream gun lolBrandon

#8 fakawee

fakawee

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts
  • Interests:4Wheeling, Hunting, Target Shooting, Fishing, Camping, Kayaking and Glassing the countryside.

Posted 31 May 2010 - 08:52 PM

what have you done to the trigger??

Had my gunsmith install STI triggers. Love these triggers for the feel. My gunsmith usually likes Wilson Combat triggers in 1911's but says these work extremely well and reset rapidly for quick, accurate follow up shots. I have noticed better accuracy with them as compared to the stock triggers when practicing multiple triple tap shooting scenarios.

#9 homemade

homemade

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 03:09 PM

If you have the money you can buy all the pieces online to replace everything except the frame so the options are many, now if we know whats been done and what your looking to do with it that narrows it down some.

#10 tkleveno51

tkleveno51

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 09:57 AM

Yeah I wish I knew what has been done to the pistol. My dad bought it off of a friend and he gave it to me for graduation. Is there any way I can check if its a model 70 or a model 80? I aprreciate all the ideas. I will have pictures up tonight

#11 Yodel Dog

Yodel Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts
  • Interests:Guns and hunting, fishing when I can.

Posted 18 July 2010 - 10:23 AM

Is there any way I can check if its a model 70 or a model 80?

Lock the slide to rear, turn the gun over, check for a round plunger(firing pin safety) that is vertical about an inch from the rear of the slide. If it is there it's an 80 Series.Usually the slide is marked 80 Series.

#12 A17Shooter

A17Shooter

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,819 posts
  • Interests:Varmint Hunting, Rifles, Hunting Pistols, Long Range, Computers, Cameras

Posted 18 July 2010 - 10:45 AM

Check collectibility & value before doing mods. Just a thought. The Commander was in production for a long time before there was a Series 70. You may be able to find the year of manufacture by looking it up at proofhouse.com . Colt has a service that will issue a letter authenticating the date and manufacture and who the factory sold it to.

#13 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,197 posts
  • Interests:Target shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Fishing, Camping

Posted 18 July 2010 - 11:02 AM

Lock the slide to rear, turn the gun over, check for a round plunger(firing pin safety) that is vertical about an inch from the rear of the slide. If it is there it's an 80 Series.Usually the slide is marked 80 Series.

Yep! that's differentiate the Series 80 from the rest of the 1911 on up to Series 70. My Ruger P-89 has that type of set up also. This block the firing pin in case you dropped the gun thereby preventing it from accidental discharge. Series 70 are much more desirable of all 1911 ever made.

#14 tkleveno51

tkleveno51

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 12:50 PM

Thank u guys. I will check it out tonight when I can get into the safe. Yeah cause I noticed that to change any parts its a 70 or 80 series. So I have to check that out tonight.

#15 tkleveno51

tkleveno51

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 09:04 PM

found out its a 70 series :roflmao3[1]: here are some pictures Attached File  1111222.jpg   3.84KB   27 downloadsAttached File  1111.jpg   4.58KB   26 downloads

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users