2 replies to this topic

#1 JRW

JRW

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 12:37 PM

I was driving from Sonora to my parents house today and I started thinking about the new 20 gauge that i'm pickin up on friday, and I started pondering the differences between the 12 gauge and 20. It came down to chokes. I was thinking would a 20 gauge with a modified choke throw a tighter pattern at a given distance than a 12 gauge with a modified choke at that same distance? Obviously there are more pellets in the 12 gauge but I was thinking that the 20 with its smaller diameter barrel might throw a tighter pattern. I guess my question is, is a modified choke in a 20 gauge the same diameter or smaller than a 12 gauge with a modified choke?

#2 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,056 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 25 May 2010 - 02:55 PM

They figure the choke by the percentage of pellets inside a 30 inch circle at 30 or 40 yards (I can't remember which) so a modified 20 should throw roughly the same diameter pattern as a 12. There will just be alot more space between the pellets due to the lower pellet count.
My guns are mine, they aren't for sale, and I only give guns to people that I really like. So I guess the government is **** out of luck.

#3 bzzrd feedr

bzzrd feedr

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Shooting, Fishing, Snow Skiing and RV'ing.

Posted 25 May 2010 - 05:19 PM

+1 what Clampdaddy said. Comparing a 12/20 with chokes is a little difficult. I'd say take your 12 ga. and 20 ga. out and experiment with different chokes and loads. I know from a 1 0z. load in a 20 ga. to a 1 1/4 Oz. load in a 12 ga. there are approx. 25% more pellets. So if the pattern out at 30-35 yards has 85% of the bb's in a 30" circle the density of the pattern is huge. Different brands of shells with similar loads will change the results and size of shot will change things again. There are a lot of variables to give a definite answer. I sound like a politician. If you have screw in chokes play around with them (sound like a politician) until you get a pattern you like. I like a mod. choke or a imp. mod. in my 20 ga. for doves and for upland birds will use a Imp. Cyl.
Life Member DU, NRA, VHA,CWA, and The OF's of America.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users