16 replies to this topic

#1 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,230 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 12:28 AM

I stopped by my local B-5 and looked at a savage in the 7mm mag I wanted too test the trigger I asked the manager if he can take of the trigger lock with a bad look on his face he said no! Its store policy no dry firing i want too tell him too stick the rifle up his @ss!! is that normal practice at most stores .I have dried fired guns before at private gun shops.

#2 Stiff Neck

Stiff Neck

Big Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 07:16 AM

If they don't allow dry firing, then ask him if you can live fire it to test the trigger.

#3 Jason

Jason

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,183 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, camping, scuba diving, American Revolution living history, fishing, ham radio.

Posted 24 August 2006 - 08:13 AM

Big 5 is the worst place to buy a gun if you don't know what you already want. They aren't very helpful, have little knowlege, and generally the rifle selection is poor. It is a great place to pick up a Hungarian Militia Surplus Tractor Mounted Sniper Rifle (with optional pooper scooper)in various stages of disrepair. I got a good deal on a Savage in 17 HMR there but it is usually my last stop for anything related to shooting. The selection for accessories is pathetic. They have squirrel calls for squirrels that don't live in this part of the world and accessories for guns they don't even sell on the same rack with accessories for airsoft toys. Unless I see something in their ad or my wife has dragged me to the mall, I don't even go into Big 5.Jason

#4 LASC

LASC

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 08:29 AM

I also don't like the place very much. I went there to check out rifles recently, the guy wasn't helpful. I did notice all the guns had trigger locks on them tho. But, I didnt ask him to take it off. I am sure he would have said HELL NO! :lol:

#5 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,314 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 24 August 2006 - 09:39 AM

It is a great place to pick up a Hungarian Militia Surplus Tractor Mounted Sniper Rifle (with optional pooper scooper)in various stages of disrepair.

Boy, isn't that the truth! :lol: :lol: :lol: You hit the nail on the head with that reply. :lol:

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#6 Jason

Jason

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,183 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, camping, scuba diving, American Revolution living history, fishing, ham radio.

Posted 24 August 2006 - 10:18 AM

Boy, isn't that the truth! :lol: :lol: :lol: You hit the nail on the head with that reply. :lol:

They actually have the guts to advertise these pieces of trash as "collectible". Collectible by who? The Bangledeshi Museum of Military History and Hub Caps? I went into Big 5 one time and they had several of the Nambian Army Suplus Tent Poles in the rack and I swear they looked like they had been in a fire. The stocks were charred and the barrel and boyonette lug looked melted. Big 5 must purchase these things by the metric ton out of eastern europe at a bargain price. Then they turn around and sell them for $150-$200 a pop. You can buy a decent Savage for a bit more or less and at least you have a rifle you can hunt with. I would be afraid to fire one of these fine pieces of Military History.Jason

#7 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,734 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 24 August 2006 - 11:17 AM

The last time I was at big 5 the sales person was verry helpful and seem to know what he was talking about Oh wait a minute I was getting tennis shoes :lol: yes there have thier heads where it should not be :lol:
You can hop but you can't hide. Yahi Bowmen. Its not how far you can shoot but how close to the game you get when you shoot. Sights we don't need any sights. Why waist time reloading when I can be making arrows.

#8 Stiff Neck

Stiff Neck

Big Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 11:22 AM

Hey, I purchased the finest looking Mosin Nagant 91/30 I've EVER seen at Big 5. 99% condition, all matching #s including the bayo, non-refurbished, perfect bore, etc. It was on sale for $79. My gunsmith said it had probably never been fired outside the factory it was in that good of shape, even the bolt and chamber etc. Big 5 has gems amungst the rubble, you just have to be patient and look hard. It took me over a year searching about 6 different stores every month to find this beauty. Oh yeah, it also repeatedly shoots less than MOA with good ammo. :lol: Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#9 Jason

Jason

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,183 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 12:21 PM

Must have been a fluke to find that piece. Looks 99 times better than anything I've ever seen at Big 5. Congratulations on the find.Jason

#10 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,790 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 24 August 2006 - 01:13 PM

Yep, Congratulations. That thing is a beauty!!!
[url="""]http://www.CallsbyBraz.com'>http://www.CallsbyBraz.com[/url]
Handmade Calls by Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

#11 John

John

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • Interests:Hunting,Bench Rest Shooting,Reloading,Fishing,Camping and the great outdoors

Posted 24 August 2006 - 04:55 PM

If they don't allow dry firing, then ask him if you can live fire it to test the trigger.

Jason you are pretty much rite,poor & Unnowledgeable help,unwilling to let you try the trigger yes.But in a world of diminishing gun stores I speak softly about anybody that makes the investment to carry guns.By the way my only purchase from Big 5 was a Savage 17 hmr so I'm not a big,big fan just trying to be pro gun as much as a guy can be! :lol:

#12 Bozsik

Bozsik

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,518 posts
  • Interests:Having fun with my Wife and Kids, Hunting, Camping, Wildlife Photography, Woodworking, and Illustration.

Posted 24 August 2006 - 07:37 PM

Jason you are pretty much rite,poor & Unnowledgeable help,unwilling to let you try the trigger yes.But in a world of diminishing gun stores I speak softly about anybody that makes the investment to carry guns.By the way my only purchase from Big 5 was a Savage 17 hmr so I'm not a big,big fan just trying to be pro gun as much as a guy can be! :lol:

John, you are right about that. I don't look to stores like Big 5 to have any information, regardless of what I want to purchase. I bought one of the HMR's I own there as well because they had the best price. I did the research myself.db
TALK STRAIGHT, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND KEEP THE MAGAZINE LOADED.ORANGEVALE,CA

#13 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,230 posts

Posted 25 August 2006 - 12:23 PM

I went there to buy my second deer tag so I looked off coarse at the guns. your right I should have asked if I can live fire it... :lol: i did see a few 303 enfields that looked like they were dragged behind a truck. The whole point of display guns are so people can get a feel of the gun how it mounts too your shoulder the action pull of trigger etc.you guys know what I am talking about. i did notice the action of the savage 7mm mag was smooth ,but the crappy plastic stock was very light and too short for me.

#14 Jason

Jason

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,183 posts

Posted 25 August 2006 - 12:42 PM

I went there to buy my second deer tag so I looked off coarse at the guns. your right I should have asked if I can live fire it... :lol: i did see a few 303 enfields that looked like they were dragged behind a truck. The whole point of display guns are so people can get a feel of the gun how it mounts too your shoulder the action pull of trigger etc.you guys know what I am talking about. i did notice the action of the savage 7mm mag was smooth ,but the crappy plastic stock was very light and too short for me.

No wonder some of those guns are so beat up. Check out the soldiers that used them.http://www.strangemi...ontent/9193.jpghttp://www.mytakeont...arymagazine.jpg ;) Jason

#15 Rimrock

Rimrock

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts

Posted 26 August 2006 - 03:16 PM

I don't know. Maybe policy has changed, but a couple of years ago I was looking for a Savage HMR and dry fired them in two Big 5 stores.

#16 Fjold

Fjold

Traveling hitman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,793 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, hunting and fishing.

Posted 26 August 2006 - 03:42 PM

I don't know. Maybe policy has changed, but a couple of years ago I was looking for a Savage HMR and dry fired them in two Big 5 stores.

That's surprising, it's real risky to dry fire rimfire rifles. The firing pin will hit the edge of the chamber and damage it.
Frank
One rifle, one planet. Holland's 375
Posted Image

#17 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,230 posts

Posted 27 August 2006 - 09:02 AM

Fjod I heard that before I try not too buy display guns ....... :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users