7 replies to this topic

#1 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,356 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 11:12 AM

I was given 2 old reels.I think they make a good display but might use one for a catfish rod.I got some cool old deep sea fishing stuff to and old lures. Can you tell what they are?Posted Imageold fishing stuff.Top jig has real feathers.Posted Image

#2 Mr Del

Mr Del

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 12:44 PM

Before you use either one of those reels, be sure to check the drag systems. A good dis-assembly and clean and lub would be in order also. With care, those reals will last several life times. They look like Penn reels. Very good reels.

#3 zippy1970

zippy1970

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 11:03 AM

left is a Penn , right I believe is a Pfluger . My dad had one when he was a kid . Check from the 40 -60's . The oddest real I had was a reel my grandpa made , MADE , in the mide to late 20's after the family moved to Cal from Ohio . No pics . Your drag was a piece of leather that you applied thumb pressure to the spool . And the handle was attached directly to to spool . Andy

#4 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,356 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 04:05 PM

Yes your both right. The left one is a Penn delmar 285 and left is a Pflueger Capitol 1989.Zippy I am really impressed you knew it was a pflueger :hellohello9il: . I know nothing about deep sea reels.

#5 Truckeedan

Truckeedan

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts
  • Interests:Hunting and fishing whenever my wife will let me!

Posted 27 May 2010 - 07:11 PM

Don't discount the value of the old lures. If they are in the original boxes they can be really valuable. A friend gave me an old tackle box that belonged to his dad back in the 30s. Inside I found six old lures in great condition in the original boxes. I sold them to a collector for enough to purchase two electric Scotty downriggers for our salmon boat.

#6 zippy1970

zippy1970

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 08:39 AM

Yes your both right. The left one is a Penn delmar 285 and left is a Pflueger Capitol 1989.Zippy I am really impressed you knew it was a pflueger :smiley-funny-post-sign: . I know nothing about deep sea reels.

My Gradpa moved to Inglewood ( waaayy before LAX , forget the name ??? field ) and we have pics of them all over Santa Monica bay with Halibut , Yellowtail , Bass . We can date the pics too as when there is no house , it was pre 26' . With the house , after 26 . He moved there built the garage to live in , built a few houses in the hood & then built his / our house in 26 . I wish I still had the reel he made from scratch . It was pretty cool . My dad said he had to miss school to fish sometimes . Thats what they did for food . Andy

#7 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,839 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 29 May 2010 - 12:16 PM

If those old lures are sealed do not open them they are worth more if un opened.. Cool stuff. I will keep the reels at my place so you do not mess them up. :smiley-funny-post-sign:

#8 LONGBOWJAY

LONGBOWJAY

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 09:56 PM

I have collected old reels and old tackle for years . The Pflueger Capitol in that condition wich is poor is worth 10- 15 bucks the Penn Delmar is worth the same. Both reels need to be retired . As for tackle the feathers and other other jig are tuna trolling rigs the iron looks like a 6x tady salas $7.00that hand line could be worth some dough is there a mfg mark on it ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users