7 replies to this topic

#1 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,175 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 11:12 AM

I was given 2 old reels.I think they make a good display but might use one for a catfish rod.I got some cool old deep sea fishing stuff to and old lures. Can you tell what they are?Posted Imageold fishing stuff.Top jig has real feathers.Posted Image

#2 Mr Del

Mr Del

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 12:44 PM

Before you use either one of those reels, be sure to check the drag systems. A good dis-assembly and clean and lub would be in order also. With care, those reals will last several life times. They look like Penn reels. Very good reels.

#3 zippy1970

zippy1970

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 11:03 AM

left is a Penn , right I believe is a Pfluger . My dad had one when he was a kid . Check from the 40 -60's . The oddest real I had was a reel my grandpa made , MADE , in the mide to late 20's after the family moved to Cal from Ohio . No pics . Your drag was a piece of leather that you applied thumb pressure to the spool . And the handle was attached directly to to spool . Andy

#4 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,175 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 04:05 PM

Yes your both right. The left one is a Penn delmar 285 and left is a Pflueger Capitol 1989.Zippy I am really impressed you knew it was a pflueger :hellohello9il: . I know nothing about deep sea reels.

#5 Truckeedan

Truckeedan

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts
  • Interests:Hunting and fishing whenever my wife will let me!

Posted 27 May 2010 - 07:11 PM

Don't discount the value of the old lures. If they are in the original boxes they can be really valuable. A friend gave me an old tackle box that belonged to his dad back in the 30s. Inside I found six old lures in great condition in the original boxes. I sold them to a collector for enough to purchase two electric Scotty downriggers for our salmon boat.
Mountain coyotes have more fur.

#6 zippy1970

zippy1970

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 08:39 AM

Yes your both right. The left one is a Penn delmar 285 and left is a Pflueger Capitol 1989.Zippy I am really impressed you knew it was a pflueger :smiley-funny-post-sign: . I know nothing about deep sea reels.

My Gradpa moved to Inglewood ( waaayy before LAX , forget the name ??? field ) and we have pics of them all over Santa Monica bay with Halibut , Yellowtail , Bass . We can date the pics too as when there is no house , it was pre 26' . With the house , after 26 . He moved there built the garage to live in , built a few houses in the hood & then built his / our house in 26 . I wish I still had the reel he made from scratch . It was pretty cool . My dad said he had to miss school to fish sometimes . Thats what they did for food . Andy

#7 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,684 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 29 May 2010 - 12:16 PM

If those old lures are sealed do not open them they are worth more if un opened.. Cool stuff. I will keep the reels at my place so you do not mess them up. :smiley-funny-post-sign:
You can hop but you can't hide. Yahi Bowmen. Its not how far you can shoot but how close to the game you get when you shoot. Sights we don't need any sights. Why waist time reloading when I can be making arrows.

#8 LONGBOWJAY

LONGBOWJAY

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 09:56 PM

I have collected old reels and old tackle for years . The Pflueger Capitol in that condition wich is poor is worth 10- 15 bucks the Penn Delmar is worth the same. Both reels need to be retired . As for tackle the feathers and other other jig are tuna trolling rigs the iron looks like a 6x tady salas $7.00that hand line could be worth some dough is there a mfg mark on it ?
Take your kids hunting and fishing while you still can! LongbowJay

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users