• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 A17Shooter

A17Shooter

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,799 posts
  • Interests:Varmint Hunting, Rifles, Hunting Pistols, Long Range, Computers, Cameras

Posted 20 May 2010 - 09:09 PM

Took a quick trip to Modoc county for late season squirrels. The grass and alfalfa were high and the only reason the shooting was possible was continued cold weather. The old ranch hand said the first hay mow would be about four weeks late.

Attached File  1.jpg   40.44KB   32 downloads

In the fourteen hours of shooting over the two day span I took about 100 shots with the Marauder. Most shots were taken between 30 and 60 yds. With the Marauder's quiet habits, most of the squirrels remained unspooked by shots taken on other squirrels. Typically the visible target area was only a head and shoulders presentation. As usual, with an air gun, the only instant kills were head and upper shoulders.

Attached File  2.jpg   40.42KB   33 downloads

During the shooting wind varied between zero and 25 mph. With the small size of these squirrels, and the fact that many were only half grown, failure to correctly dope the wind was a sure miss. With the Marauder zeroed at 50 yds, shots in the low 60 yd range required a one mil dot holdover. Experience at the Sacramento Fun Shoot certainly helped determine holdover and doping the wind.

Attached File  3.jpg   36.7KB   33 downloads

There were fields showing bare dirt on some ranches and the one that I was at had some areas of short growth, but why would a squirrel frequent those areas with thousands of acres of lush green available for the eating? Many areas will soon be higher than an upright squirrel.

#2 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,592 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 20 May 2010 - 09:16 PM

Hey that's good shooting Gary. Those are very small target to say the least. :lol: So do you like your NEW Marauder?

#3 A17Shooter

A17Shooter

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,799 posts
  • Interests:Varmint Hunting, Rifles, Hunting Pistols, Long Range, Computers, Cameras

Posted 20 May 2010 - 10:12 PM

The Marauder shows a very consistent high level of accuracy. Not having other Marauders to compare it to, I can't be sure how much the MAC-1 tune done by Tim has helped. But, this rifle is very consistent and deadly on squirrels within reasonable range. On a calm day, squirrels within 75 yds best stay underground. :) :good: The ten shot magazines provide for quick follow-up shots when the wind is messing with your mind. Be sure to get at least one extra mag when you order your Marauder.

#4 JimT.

JimT.

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 10:20 PM

I try to take all my shots inside 50 yards!

#5 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,396 posts
  • Interests:Bass fishing,Kayaking,Airgun hunting

Posted 21 May 2010 - 08:00 AM

In our area breeding is normally in Feburary...litters usually stay in burrows for 5-6 weeks....in late April I noticed younger squirrels begining to come out....they certainly present tough targets but easy to stalk as they do not spook like the mature/savvy squirrels..Later,in July/August when grass dies off,even the mature ones will be easier to hunt as they must forage further away from their burrows...I get out early and ambush them.When temps reach 90+,they retreat back to their burrows and estivate.Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users