11 replies to this topic

#1 homemade

homemade

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 10:17 AM

Im looking at getting a light weight revolver for dropping in my pocket when I dont want to carry the big semi auto.I was looking at the new Ruger Lcr in 38 Spl and I was wondering if anyone has handled seen or used one yet and what was your opinion of it?

#2 acousticmood

acousticmood

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 12:28 PM

Never handled one but I have heard great things about them. Don't buy a first issue though because the trigger has been upgraded since then and its what makes it a winner.You might check over at Calguns for some feedback.

#3 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,790 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 15 May 2010 - 05:03 PM

If I'm not mistaken, they are off list and only available to LEO's. I carry a S&W 642. I just weighed it this morning and it weighs, loaded and ready to go in my pocket, 1.02 pounds. I usually carry it sans holster, just by itself in my front pocket. A very easy carry.
[url="""]http://www.CallsbyBraz.com'>http://www.CallsbyBraz.com[/url]
Handmade Calls by Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

#4 BullsEye

BullsEye

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,057 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 05:20 PM

The LCR is made of a lot of plastic. For some reason that doesn't sit well with me in a revolver but thats just me. I have a SW 442 thats the same size and is aluminum framed. Shoots nice too.

#5 autocrosser78

autocrosser78

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Shooting, and everything gun related.

Posted 16 May 2010 - 07:54 AM

You have to hold the LCR and feel the trigger pull. You will be impressed. I give them a thumbs up. :signgreatreport3kg:

#6 autocrosser78

autocrosser78

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 07:56 AM

Braz, I think you are confusing the LCR with the LCP.

#7 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,790 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 16 May 2010 - 08:09 AM

I was under the impression that both were off list. But you're right, I just checked the list of rostered guns and the LCR is in fact on there. So they are available. Good news!
[url="""]http://www.CallsbyBraz.com'>http://www.CallsbyBraz.com[/url]
Handmade Calls by Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

#8 autocrosser78

autocrosser78

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 08:22 AM

I was a big fan of the Smith J frame until I got the chance to handle the LCR.

#9 XR100

XR100

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Interests:Hand gun, smoke pole and rifle competition, varmint hunting, wood turning, electronics, cooking and baking, taking naps in the shade.

Posted 20 May 2010 - 12:45 PM

I don't own one; I try to avoid "telephone booth" guns, and my own review of it leaves me with mixed feelings.On the plus side, I like the hammerless feature and its light weight for pocket carry. I also like the +P ammo capability. On the negative side I am not a fan of "one size fits all" handgun grips and the jury is still out on the polymer components. I can't figure out why Ruger put a front sight on the gun. It tends to hang up when drawn from a pocket and the accuracy of this little gun beyond about twenty feet is questionable - shooting at that distance doesn't really involve aiming so the front sight, IMO, becomes superfluous. :lol:

#10 Jason

Jason

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,183 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, camping, scuba diving, American Revolution living history, fishing, ham radio.

Posted 20 May 2010 - 01:26 PM

I carry the S&W 442. Looked at the Ruger but I just like the feel of the S&W better. I changed the stock grips to Hogue bantam grips which made it even lighter. I carry in the front pocket with a Soft Armor pocket holster. It has rubber on the outside that keeps it in the pocket when you draw. It has a nice padded and lined interior that I spray gun oil into occassionally to help keep the gun nice. I carry a Safariland speed loader and Bianchi Speed Strip for fast reload. I've been carrying this for a year now and am extremely pleased with this set up. My brother also carries this same gun although he has stayed with the stock grips, uses a leather pocket holster, and only uses the speed strips. He also looked at the Ruger and handled one that a friend had and went with the S&W. The 442 is so light I forget I even have it in my pocket sometimes. It is an accurate little gun and a lot of fun to shoot. When I wear this one out I'll get another one just like it. It will shoot the +p rounds with no problem. A buddy of mine got one of the 357 magnum S&Ws. It's a little bigger but a lot heavier.

#11 Jeff

Jeff

SacramentoSkullWorks

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 01:48 PM

I've got the LCR, and it's a pretty nice revolver. It feels like any other lightweight, compact, revolver (hence the name LCR). It's got a nice little gel pack in the grip to absorb some of the recoil. I'd recommend one, and the fact that it's hammerless makes it nice for carry.
Sacramento Skull Works ...on Facebook!
Using Dermestid beetles to produce museum quality skulls for your trophy collection.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

#12 375ranger

375ranger

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
  • Interests:Varmint hunting, ATV's, Fishing

Posted 22 May 2010 - 08:53 AM

I went thru the same ordeal. My local gun dealer had a nice LCR with Crimson Trace already attached. Really cool little gun, around $650 otd. I ended up with a s.s. Taurus 85UL w/ Hogue grips. Around $380 otd. It shoots great, lifetime warranty, and felt better in my hand. Shoot different guns, thats all I can say, each one has its own personality. I shot my neighbors' $950 S&W snubbie, weighed next to nuthin but danced around in my hand after each shot. Too light maybe? Just my .02

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users