11 replies to this topic

#1 homemade

homemade

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 10:17 AM

Im looking at getting a light weight revolver for dropping in my pocket when I dont want to carry the big semi auto.I was looking at the new Ruger Lcr in 38 Spl and I was wondering if anyone has handled seen or used one yet and what was your opinion of it?

#2 acousticmood

acousticmood

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 12:28 PM

Never handled one but I have heard great things about them. Don't buy a first issue though because the trigger has been upgraded since then and its what makes it a winner.You might check over at Calguns for some feedback.

#3 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,804 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 15 May 2010 - 05:03 PM

If I'm not mistaken, they are off list and only available to LEO's. I carry a S&W 642. I just weighed it this morning and it weighs, loaded and ready to go in my pocket, 1.02 pounds. I usually carry it sans holster, just by itself in my front pocket. A very easy carry.

#4 BullsEye

BullsEye

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,066 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 05:20 PM

The LCR is made of a lot of plastic. For some reason that doesn't sit well with me in a revolver but thats just me. I have a SW 442 thats the same size and is aluminum framed. Shoots nice too.

#5 autocrosser78

autocrosser78

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Shooting, and everything gun related.

Posted 16 May 2010 - 07:54 AM

You have to hold the LCR and feel the trigger pull. You will be impressed. I give them a thumbs up. :signgreatreport3kg:

#6 autocrosser78

autocrosser78

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 07:56 AM

Braz, I think you are confusing the LCR with the LCP.

#7 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,804 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 16 May 2010 - 08:09 AM

I was under the impression that both were off list. But you're right, I just checked the list of rostered guns and the LCR is in fact on there. So they are available. Good news!

#8 autocrosser78

autocrosser78

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 08:22 AM

I was a big fan of the Smith J frame until I got the chance to handle the LCR.

#9 XR100

XR100

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Interests:Hand gun, smoke pole and rifle competition, varmint hunting, wood turning, electronics, cooking and baking, taking naps in the shade.

Posted 20 May 2010 - 12:45 PM

I don't own one; I try to avoid "telephone booth" guns, and my own review of it leaves me with mixed feelings.On the plus side, I like the hammerless feature and its light weight for pocket carry. I also like the +P ammo capability. On the negative side I am not a fan of "one size fits all" handgun grips and the jury is still out on the polymer components. I can't figure out why Ruger put a front sight on the gun. It tends to hang up when drawn from a pocket and the accuracy of this little gun beyond about twenty feet is questionable - shooting at that distance doesn't really involve aiming so the front sight, IMO, becomes superfluous. :lol:

#10 Jason

Jason

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,183 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, camping, scuba diving, American Revolution living history, fishing, ham radio.

Posted 20 May 2010 - 01:26 PM

I carry the S&W 442. Looked at the Ruger but I just like the feel of the S&W better. I changed the stock grips to Hogue bantam grips which made it even lighter. I carry in the front pocket with a Soft Armor pocket holster. It has rubber on the outside that keeps it in the pocket when you draw. It has a nice padded and lined interior that I spray gun oil into occassionally to help keep the gun nice. I carry a Safariland speed loader and Bianchi Speed Strip for fast reload. I've been carrying this for a year now and am extremely pleased with this set up. My brother also carries this same gun although he has stayed with the stock grips, uses a leather pocket holster, and only uses the speed strips. He also looked at the Ruger and handled one that a friend had and went with the S&W. The 442 is so light I forget I even have it in my pocket sometimes. It is an accurate little gun and a lot of fun to shoot. When I wear this one out I'll get another one just like it. It will shoot the +p rounds with no problem. A buddy of mine got one of the 357 magnum S&Ws. It's a little bigger but a lot heavier.

#11 Jeff

Jeff

SacramentoSkullWorks

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 01:48 PM

I've got the LCR, and it's a pretty nice revolver. It feels like any other lightweight, compact, revolver (hence the name LCR). It's got a nice little gel pack in the grip to absorb some of the recoil. I'd recommend one, and the fact that it's hammerless makes it nice for carry.

#12 375ranger

375ranger

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
  • Interests:Varmint hunting, ATV's, Fishing

Posted 22 May 2010 - 08:53 AM

I went thru the same ordeal. My local gun dealer had a nice LCR with Crimson Trace already attached. Really cool little gun, around $650 otd. I ended up with a s.s. Taurus 85UL w/ Hogue grips. Around $380 otd. It shoots great, lifetime warranty, and felt better in my hand. Shoot different guns, thats all I can say, each one has its own personality. I shot my neighbors' $950 S&W snubbie, weighed next to nuthin but danced around in my hand after each shot. Too light maybe? Just my .02

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users